Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hilary Swank's Haircut

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 6:25am
Originally posted by arch94 arch94 wrote:

In response to Kramer...

Personally I think Maury is the patron saint of good deed do'ers for his help in transforming women into their new looks.

Not to be argumentative, but i've seen all of Maury's makeover shows and I have one thing to say. Not all long hair is beautiful...in fact I think it's rare to see long (super long) hair that is indeed beautiful. Our friends on the long hair message board, from the pics I've seen, have gorgeous long hair for the most part. I think that is because they truly love their hair long and go the extra mile to take good care of it. I don't think that all women take as good of care of it as they should. Does that make sense?

While I respect your point of view, A) most of the women who get their long hair cut on Maury's show are suggested for makeovers to the show by other people (friend, child, spouse) who think they need a makeover; B) many of them cry during the actual cut, and C) Maury seems to delight in the entire process. Only a small percentage of women come to Maury begging for a haircut. I guess they want their 15 minutes of fame and that's the only way they can get it. Maury is anything but a patron saint.

Further, we all have our opinions on what is beautiful. Maury has hacked off countless feet of beautiful hair. Many are captured on YouTube. Do these women not have beautiful hair -- before the haircut, that is?

jaw5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaw5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 9:46am
Hilary Swank was right, Oprah's hair is getting long.  She should at least consider cutting it. 
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 7:13pm
I never cease to be dismayed with the attitude consistently expressed by some here that everyone who has long hair "ought to," "should," or "needs to" get a haircut.  It's beyond disrespectful.

I viewed the linked videos and I saw no unhealthy hair.  While some chose to trim their ends, others with untrimmed ends don't have unhealthy hair,  just... not trimmed hair.  I appreciate the aesthetic distinction, but it is technically incorrect to equate "untrimmed" with "unhealthy."

Because "hair donation" discussions initiated with the Celebrities Forum usually devolve into this sort of bitching, I'm inclined to move any new such threads immediately to the Politics Forum, even if/though at least one celebrity is involved.

Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

I never cease to be dismayed with the attitude consistently expressed by some here that everyone who has long hair "ought to," "should," or "needs to" get a haircut.  It's beyond disrespectful.

Yet you are never dismayed with the expressions of "ought to", "should" or "needs to" grow hair that are so often posted here?

I viewed the linked videos and I saw no unhealthy hair.  While some chose to trim their ends, others with untrimmed ends don't have unhealthy hair,  just... not trimmed hair.  I appreciate the aesthetic distinction, but it is technically incorrect to equate "untrimmed" with "unhealthy."

Because "hair donation" discussions initiated with the Celebrities Forum usually devolve into this sort of bitching, I'm inclined to move any new such threads immediately to the Politics Forum, even if/though at least one celebrity is involved.

How fair of you to move posts of a "politicial" nature after you post your own.
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by fatmoogas fatmoogas wrote:

How is it nice? It just seems hacked off! Not a style at all!

Though her hair could look great long and given the effort she generally put into her hair.. this is a huge improvemnet.    And as I type, it occurs to me with equal effort the new short look will be just as plain as long usually was!
arch94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arch94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 9:53pm
I agree with Hal...Hilary never has been the type to put great effort into her hair...long or short.

About Maury...You are correct that the recipients of the makeovers are generally nominated by a friend or family member, however the recipients have the final decision...I'm sure they are well aware what they are getting themselves into...I'm pretty certain none of them were forced against their will to go on the show.

Speaking of Maury...it has been quite some time since Maury did a super long hair makeover show...I wonder if he got alot of flak for it?

We all know what opinions are like...and I've got both!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Hal Hal wrote:

Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

Yet you are never dismayed with the expressions of "ought to", "should" or "needs to" grow hair that are so often posted here?

How fair of you to move posts of a "politicial" nature after you post your own.

Hal, re-read what I wrote, highlighted in italics ("consistently expressed").  It is not the occasional expression by any individual that is irritating, it is that some consistently  (read: always, or almost always) say it.  This same sort of irritation would occur if anybody were consistently saying that celebs with short hair "ought to," "should," or "needs to" grow their hair long.

Your questioning of my fairness is misdirected -- again, re-read what I wrote, highlighted in italics ("any new such threads").

Edited by DaveDecker - November 05 2007 at 7:33pm
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 9:03pm
link to the haircut

before/during/after captured in about 9 minutes.  enjoy
HAWG
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 9:24pm
Kramer did you actually look at the makeover pics from Oprah?  Very few were actaully cut much at all.  Most were pretty small changes... several looked very much the same.
KB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2007 at 12:09pm

I think she looks terrific with long hair. Am I missing something?  In my opinon, her face shape is too long for this short cut.  It does nothing to flatter her. 

While on the subject of makeovers, it never ceases to annoy me that the end result, no matter what, has to be a short hairstyle.  WHY?  Most times, a long hair style can be improved simply by trimming the dead ends off, adding a few long layers, maybe some bangs and putting in some subtle color or highlights.  It's not necessary to hack long hair off just to have a drastic makeover!!

Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2007 at 8:42pm
In this case and other public celebrity makeovers (Ann Curry, Diane Lane, et al.) the benefiting hair charity needs a minimum number of inches for the donation to be "usable." So in Hilary's case, that minimum required her hair to be cut short. I'm not sure if that addresses your point in all instances, but when Locks of Love and similar hair-hacking groups are involved, that is typically the case.
filipm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filipm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 6:45am
I liked it on Oprah, but I don't like it styled this way:

fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 8:15am
Long to short makes for better reality TV.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2007 at 4:02pm
     Right, Filip! I'd give the cut a 4 out of 10, but this style drops it a couple more notches. Hey, though, she seemed to like it. Too bad her hair was heavily layered and probably unusable, even if you believe that more hair donations are really needed. Confused Best, Bob
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2007 at 5:31pm
HAWG
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2007 at 9:32pm
Ok do you think she will grow it out or keep it short? I hoping for long but you never know. HAWG thanks for the pic. It didn't look bad there.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2007 at 9:33pm
Hilary Swank was right, Oprah's hair is getting long.
HAs Oprah ever had long hair? At lest pass her shoulders?
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 11:38pm
Well, well, well. Get a load of Hilary Swank's latest haircut. Makes you wonder if her haircut on Oprah was all a precursor for this and whether her ultimate look is for a movie role. All I can say is I hope that ponytail she donated found a home because she sure got lots of credit for it.

Who has more fun than people?
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 12:20am
Is she doing Boys don't cry II? I hate to say this short hair does nothing for her. Wow I hope she grows it back out soon.
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 8:53am
Maury Povich and some of her firends forced her to do it... then she cried.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic