Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nas new album N!gger and the Industries Reactions.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nas new album N!gger and the Industries Reactions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jamaicakid85 View Drop Down
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaicakid85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nas new album N!gger and the Industries Reactions.
    Posted: October 27 2007 at 5:03pm
Nas announced he was naming his 8th album the N Bomb. Once again, the N done started something.

History has a funny way, in a Paul Mooney kind of sense, of repeating itself. Just when we think that the power of innovation has no bounds, the proverbial artistic rug is pulled from under our feet, leaving us suspended in mid-air hoping for a more familiar place to land. But for trailblazers likes Mr. Nasir Jones, pulling a carpet from up under his stance is similar to a magician yanking a table cloth cleanly from under dishes—Nas remains unaffected.

Nas has been an innovator in his field since his explosion on the scene in ’94. His peers were either one of two things; influenced by him or were “too much of a man” to say they respected him. It wasn’t about hit singles to Queensbridge’s Five Star General; he strived to push the music that he holds so dearly to his heart, forward. But when he hit, he hit hard and strong, achieving milestones and etching his name in the stone along the way.

To recognize innovation is to understand that, in the public eye, your efforts to push a medium forward can easily be framed as controversial. On December 11th, Nas will walk the line between innovation and controversy with his ninth studio album titled, NI**ER. From the initial break of this news, lines have been drawn between the supporters and those that opposed Nas’ decision. Internet message boards, talk shows, barbershops and salons across this country have been set ablaze with opinions, which either brought everyone together, or systematically tore them apart.

More seasoned debaters were cunning enough to bring up the fact that Nas isn’t the first to title his project the N-bomb. Maybe in Hip-Hop, but not across the board [Ed. Note: If you want to get technical, let’s not forget N.W.A]. Few brought up the fact that author Dick Gregory along with contributor Robert Lipsyte wrote, NI**ER – An Autobiography published in1964. The book sold seven million copies. And most recently, NI**ER – The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word, written by Randall Kennedy was published back in 2002. So why all of the media attention for Nas in 2007? 

Nothing more valuable to a heartfelt debate than the here and now. Nas is here, and Nas is now. And similar to the daring men before him, Nas has solid support where he needs it most, with Def Jam Chairman Antonio “L.A.” Reid telling MTV News he had the label’s support. But on the other side of the coin, Nas has his opposers. Among them Reverend Al Sharpton who also told MTV News he was, “opposed to anybody using the term."

It doesn’t take Jadakiss of the Lox to ask the question that everybody in the know would like to ask Nas–and that question is, “Why?” AllHipHop.com spoke with a few people about their thoughts on the controversial album title. Here's what they had to say:

Chuck D:
First of all, you can’t get rid of the word. When I spoke against the word, I was placing it in its proper context; and the proper context is bad. When people started saying that the word ‘ni**a’ is a word of love and started using it to embrace each other, I thought that it was stupid. But there is such a word and it describes the attitude and behavior more than anything. Once a person decide to get in the frame of a ‘ni**er’ state of mind, it becomes counter productive. The difference with Nas taking this word and using it as the title of his album, let’s give him the artistic right to go into it, just like we gave Dick Gregory the artistic right to go into his book. Dick Gregory published his book called “NI**ER (The Autobiography),” was actually saying how he was looked upon by America. I give Nas at least the opportunity to address this word from a context that will actually be educational. And not educational in a way that we all should call ourselves ni**ers, thinking that it’s all good. My question is, which rocket scientist came up with this theory? My thing is, everybody can have an opinion, but we need to evaluate who’s giving their opinion. We should also look at their resume of who’s saying what. Everybody can’t just say everything without a proper background. If you don’t have street education or book education, you’re just making up sh*t in your head. Nas has a background and a resume of conscious thoughts. And it has been a growth pattern in what he says. Nas goes into a wider realm of accepting that he is a man and can never turn back to being a boy again. That’s unlike a lot of cats who are in their thirties or into their mid-thirties all of a sudden feel that they can conveniently step into their adolescence to sell records; which I believe is some bullsh*t.

Alicia Keys:
< =http://www.youtube.com/v/LD6l-8u00S4 width=425 height=350 =application/x-shockwave-flash>

DJ Irie:
Knowing Nas to be the prolific artist that he is, there's a strong social statement and message behind such a name. I'm sure Nas has a positive twist on it that will be communicated in the music. Nas isn't your average MC. His body of work not only consists of some of the greatest music in the history of Hip-Hop, but delivers some of our culture's greatest lessons. After all, can the man that gave us Illmatic really do any wrong?

If it were any other artist to choose such an album title, I would quickly dismiss [it] as a marketing ploy. Not the case for Nas. Yes, the title alone will draw all kinds of attention and criticism, but let's not rush to judgement. Nas is no fool... there's a method to the madness. Just watch and see.

Cormega:
To the media and to any Black person making a big deal out of this: "Ni**a please."

David Banner:
I think that it’s genius! I’d tell Nas that he can name his album however he want it. Tell him that he should call his album, “NI**ER to the Tenth Power.” I understand that Nas wants to save the world, because I am one of those type of rappers as well, but just get back to making jamming a** records dude. It’s cool to be creative and it’s cool to be thought provoking, but Nas, you gotta get back to "New York State of Mind," get back to "Live at the Barbecue." He needs some straight to the point beats to rock to. He needs to just give me his album, sit back and rap. Get back to the old Nas where all these producers would give him tracks and he was just sitting there writing. I want the first Nas; not the second Nas or the fourth Nas. I want the Nas fresh off of the "Live at the Barbecue" joint.

Everybody has an opinion. When I did that stuff with Al Sharpton, people wanted to know whether it was a media ploy. No it wasn’t, and who really gives a f*ck? All of this title, all of this hype sh*t, everybody talking their records up and then the sh*t be wack. I don’t really give a f*ck; he can name his album “Africa”, he can name his album “Ni**a”, I don’t give a sh*t as long as when we turn that record on, it is jamming.

DJ Drama:

I respect Nas to the fullest! I'm ridin' wit him! That's my ni**a!!

I believe anything that creates dialogue in Hip-Hop is healthy for the culture.

Raheem DeVaughn:
< =http://www.youtube.com/v/2bZHbVvFDnE width=425 height=350 =application/x-shockwave-flash>

Mick Boogie:
It's not my place to say whether it’s good or bad. I think it could be good, because an intelligent artist like Nas always has something brewing to back up his statements. But as a white man, I can't really walk into Best Buy and say, "Hi, can you show me where the 'Ni**a' [album] is?  That's not happening.

It's Nas. He always has something to say, even on radio singles. But like he said, if Cornel West did it, it would be revolutionary.  So I'm curious to see what happens after it drops.

Polow Da Don
:
I love the title... Nas is very smart.

Bruce Waynne (Midi Mafia):

It's overall bold, and we need that in entertainment right now. We need to get people excited, as well as thinking.

Rich Boy:

"I feel like Nas naming his album NI**ER is Nas being Nas. Political and thought provoking and at the same time going against the grain. Hip Hop Is Dead sure made major headlines and was great for marketing. It's going to make people think what's the positive message from such a negative word. Its going to make people want to hear the lyrics and message that an album with the title NI**ER and what does the title stand for.

Waves(2001-Present)
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaicakid85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 5:06pm
Me personally naming his album "N" word I don't know but I'm sure there is a reason behind him naming his album that, and with such a controversial album name like "N" word it will make people listen to his message because I'm sure he has something IMPORTANT to say and wants to draw that attention.

Waves(2001-Present)
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 6:23pm

Jamaica, I truthfully think it is, the shock factor he had in mind. The nygga word is hot right now, and will for ever be as long as Afro./Black/African American people populate this planet.Now that's not to say that he is not a conscious brother, the brother gets credit due b/c of the content, and his mindset, demonstrated in his art.

I personally don't have a problem with the word coming from another person who understands and have lived a nyggas pain. So I do not agree with my nygga Chuck D. I love Chuck, but I do not agree that it is a "bad word". The NAACP burrying the nygga word, and there are ample injustices, that need to be addressed, the least of my worries is having the nygga word burried. Nygga, Nyggarized, Nyggafied, Nyggette, does not bother me till some idiot who can not possibly know how Billie Holiday felt seeing a dead burnt body swinging from a poplar tree, in the deep south. "Strange Fruit", she called it. I digress, my point is that Nas is using Shock, but to what end we shall soon hear, as we listen to his work on the album.

There are a host of racially inflamatory words I steer clear of b/c I know that they are hateful, and harmful
I never allow myself to be called bytch, by another woman, I never , call another woman that.
how do I take it when someone says to me, 
"Simona, Uze a no gas havn' azz nygga"  Then I turn around and say, "yall some minnie the moocher no ride havn' azz nyggas, and all yall kickn' in" We laugh and it's cool.

Good Topic!

Edited by Anomis - October 27 2007 at 6:45pm
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaicakid85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 6:51pm
Word I still don't allow people to call me a nig with the ER attached to it because I'm not ignorant, but a nigg with the A is more like a factor of expression like I would say "y'all nigg as crazy", or "nah I ain't see that nigg a" I feel that theres a difference and this might be one of the most important hip-hop albums to date kind of like Public Enemy's It Takes A Nation Of Millions.

Waves(2001-Present)
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 8:18pm
"ER" was from the racists who enslaved my people, we broke it, so the racist king of it fell out, and now it's something else.
I know one thing for certain,,,,with all this publicity, it's pressure so
Nas betta bring it full throttle, heavy and deep.
Willie SKRILLA View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie SKRILLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 8:57pm
Nas can do whatever the f**k he wants thats how big a part of my life he is. Some kid he never met is ready to ride or die with him just from listening to Illmatic. Point blank name it whatever you want just don't sugarcoat it with that a is not the same as er ish. It is what it is don't try and change that.
You can't win with women. You just have to maintain."
- Wave Connection

Real Recognize Real
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 1:04am
"Cradle of idiocy"
Elite Member
Elite Member
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie SKRILLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 4:00pm
I'm gonna have to ask you elaborate on that. Is that aimed at me? Why? 
- Wave Connection

Real Recognize Real
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 7:14pm
Oh was I harsh, and abrasive? Belittling and even insulting?
I see your point. I must conduct myself with diplomacy, have a keen sense of what to do or say in order to maintain good relations with others and make an effort to avoid offense. After all is said and done this forum should remain conducive to a spirited, yet respectable exchange of ideas, and ideals with others, less, we find ourselves in a conundrum of pettiness.

Let's see if I can clean it up a bit.......I do not follow human beings, any human being, to the end of the Earth (ride or die),  b/c no man is my
G. O. D. Furthermore the "er" vs "a" element of the word in question, is far from "sugar coated shyt". 

Elite Member
Elite Member
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie SKRILLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 7:54pm
No it is. Its people who want to look for a convenient reason not to feel like the people who called them that years ago. Theres no making a word better by slangularizing the end of it. If thats the case are we gonna see a mexican artist come out with an album called Wetbac or wet bax instead of wetback. Or an Asian artist coming out with a C.D. called Guk or Slopee. No. Fess up if you want to say n***** say n***** but don't act like its different. A n**** is a n**** and a n***** is a n****. A nipple is a nipple if its on a tit instead of breast ain't it. A wetback is a mexican thats mexican is it not. A n***** is a n**** if he's black ain't it. Saying that you've taken the rascism out of it by simply changing the last two letters and acting as if its not the same damn thing is escapism. Now I'm all for Nas doing what he feels is best for him and I'll ride with it but change the word not the slang feel me. The slang is what it is: non recognized english. The word is what it is: recognized english. So if you're gonna move forward with a revolution revolutionize what needs revolutionizing not its little shadow. Thats all I'm saying. Feel me. Smell me. Got me.
- Wave Connection

Real Recognize Real
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 8:49pm
For the sake of argument/debate let's go with your proposition, for just a moment, you are saying the word is now what it was, and will always be, right? You are essentially saying that the origin is maintained no matter what the perception is, or the source it's coming from.
OK, When yo mama calls you baby, isn't that different from a woman calling you baby, or a dude calling you babe? Grown men pressing weight are insulted by their peers pushing them, calling them big azz baby.......
If a man calls me baby, that's different, than an elder saying it to me, a lesbian can not call me babe, baby, baby bunny or anything else.
Don't even get me started on other words that came from the Kings English that Black folk, snatched, broke off, pieces and bits, and jazzed it up., making it acceptable to mean something else entirely.
No need to revolt one way or the other in regards to the word in question,
1st Amendment, 1791

Edited by Anomis - October 28 2007 at 8:51pm
Elite Member
Elite Member
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie SKRILLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 9:37pm
If my mama calls me baby she's referring to me being from her womb. I'll always perpetually be her baby. When someone else calls me baby they are calling me a kid not the product of their loins (I'm kicking their ass if their trying to call me the product of their loins). If a man calls me a babe then well if I remember correctly a babe is newly born child. Not sure how that eventually came to mean fine piece of meat. Maybe from cows or something. But I digress anway I can see what you mean. As far as I'm concerned from an objective perspective its become ingrained into the average black mans vocabulary. Some words have a history to deep to be changed. Thats not saying I don't say it or anything. Just a words history is its history. Burials and sh*t and changing it to make it more respectable don't make it a better word. Thats all I'm saying. If Nas can make it a respectable word more power to him but as of right now its history outweighs its supposed meaning.
- Wave Connection

Real Recognize Real
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 3:49am
it does not detract from me or deminish me in any way Skrilla,
for me to say that you have made your point-we still disagree
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaicakid85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 7:45am
Well I still wouldn't say that word in front of like people who were apart of MLK's generation because I know that they especially find that word or any variations of it unacceptable/offensive and are sensitive to it regardless. Now if a KKK member says that to me I will be compelled to beat that ass to a pulp  because I know they are saying it to try to belittle me instead of showing respect , and I easily get rattled to a point of wanting to draw blood.

Waves(2001-Present)
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 12:29pm
That's a very good point.
I have to admit that when I ride out, and roll up to some mature persons home, I tone the sounds down, b/c , some older folk, (they feel it's disrespectful) I can act a fool, and talk about how I'm grown, this is a "free" country, all that, .........but why? I do not have a desire to do something disrespectful like that.
I had an elderly woman the other day ask me to stop popping my bubble gum, angelLOL, I knocked it off, why not...... LOL? 
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 12:21am
Beat that blood clot boi.............
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaicakid85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 10:21am
Mi gunshot gwan rinse him blood Angry.......

Edited by jamaicakid85 - October 30 2007 at 10:23am

Waves(2001-Present)
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 10:21am
Wa ppun rude bwoy?
Anomis at steppa, check it deep, mi nuh easy, put a Obeah pon da bumboclot,  Bald head bait
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaicakid85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Anomis Anomis wrote:

Wa ppun rude bwoy?
Anomis at steppa, check it deep, mi nuh easy, put a Obeah pon da bumboclot,  Bald head bait

LolLOL

Waves(2001-Present)
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 7:17am
Did I say it right.....OR did I completely jack it updance1???
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic