Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amanda_hnk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amanda_hnk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP!!
    Posted: October 31 2007 at 2:02pm
I need some serious help for my hair. My hair is long but not real long and is dried out. I have tried hair restorative shampoo, conditioner and after care nothing seems to help. It feels good the day after I wash my hair and that it! The day after that it feels all dry and lifeless but I have REALLY thick hair. It is also frizzy. I don't wash my hair too often, about twice a week. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I really would love to have my old hair back!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2007 at 7:18am
Three things usually contribute to this.  One is chemical or heat use (do you dye it?  Straighten it?  Cutting back would help).  Two is silicone buildup or using the wrong shampoo (such as a clarifying shampoo all the time), and Three is hard water.

If you don't dye it, use a dilute vinegar rinse after you rinse out your conditioner.  That will help with the hard water.  (Just use 1 tbsp in 1 cup of water, dip the ends in the cup first then pour the rest over your head).  If you don't notice an immediate difference after your hair is dry (yes the vinegar smell will be gone by then), then you must not have hard water, and that is not your problem.  If your water is hard, this will make a BIG difference in softness.

Also if you don't dye it, check the ingredients of your shampoo and conditioner.  If they have a lot of ingredients that end in "cone" or "one", you probably have silicone buildup and this can contribute to limpness on the next day, dry feeling hair and breakage (after months of using it without clarifying it off).  So, use a clarifying shampoo to get rid of it, but only use that once every month to 2 months...not every day, it is very drying and too harsh for more frequent use.  You will have to condition really well after using it or your hair will feel strawlike and tangly.

If you dye it, the two things I said do above can cause some dyes to fade or rinse out, so there is less you can do in this case.  Refreshing your dye job would help, since that also removes silicone buildup, but that is damaging over time, so if you want to keep it long, you wouldn't want to do that too often.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic