Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Misuse of chemical hair straightners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
itsmick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Misuse of chemical hair straightners
    Posted: November 14 2007 at 6:42am
Hi guys, about 12 months ago i misused a chemical relaxer, that resulted in my hair falling out in clumps and me having to shave my head.
Since then my hair and scalp have never been the same.
When ever i grow my hair out i get a great deal of dandruff- that i never use to have, and if i use any styling product at all my head will start to hurt and then my hair falls out in clumps again, forcing me to shave my head.
I have been to several doctors and hairdressers but no one seems to know anything about how to treat this problem.

If anyone knows anything about how to treat the misuse of chemical hair straightners it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks heaps

julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2007 at 5:00am

How awful,I'm sorry you had to go through this!

Sounds like your scalp is still damaged from using the relaxer.Most relaxers have LYE in them which can be very harmful to skin.

I  was an idiot and used oven cleaner that had LYE in it without using gloves,and it literally burned off my skin on my hand. The skin felt slippery
and the fingerprints were actually gone! It also left red welts on my skin and some skin peeled off.
So I know where you are coming from.I would hate for that to happen on my head!

The doctors dont say what to use for the burned skin? Must be something out there to help heal the tramatised skin!
I wouldnt use any products on it.I would put some aloe on your scalp and use a moisterizing shampoo and good conditioner.
It may or may not be dandruff you have,but the dead skin from being burned still peeling off...
Make sure you are taking VITAMIN C too which is very important for the skin to be able to heal itself.
Sorry I dont have better advice,but you have my sympathy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic