Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on hair bleaching/coloring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AggiePam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AggiePam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on hair bleaching/coloring
    Posted: June 28 2002 at 10:42pm
The first stylist could have easily helped you by putting in low-lights. If she would have just merely added some brown in, it would have given you the depth you were looking for. I can`t believe she didn`t think of that! I`ve heard of a lot of people doing that after going "too" blonde.
Jeanie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2002 at 8:29pm
Have you looked at the "Going Blonde Board"? It is a great message board for all bleaching blonde questions. I have learned alot from that place.
Do you know if the brown tint she put on was a deposit only color? It should have been something with very low peroxide in it.If the brown tint was used with anything higher than a 10 volume peroxide it will cause more damage to your already bleached out hair. Foils are better, more precise.
The Joico-K Pak is very good. You are on the right track, keep deep conditioning your hair and use a protein treatment once a week followed by conditioner.

Kaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2002 at 4:30pm
I`ve soo been there. Don`t worry about. I have naturally dark hair, olive skin and dark eyes. But I manage to pull off having all blonde with no natural colour. But now, I have natural going through:

http://www.dappy.com/cassandra/poser3.jpg">Hair 1

And

http://www.dappy.com/cassandra/hair1.jpg">Hair today, after cut

Well, you should invest in some vitamins to maintain the health of your hair: Biotin and Amino Acid and Kemp/Kelp (seaweed one! ;P) they`re supposed to be really good, I`m going to go into them as well. I`ve also bought RedKen Extreme Reconstructor. I`ve used it before and it`s very good.

Failing that, have you ever thought of using henna dye on your hair to put natural color into your hair?

Hope this helps!

Scorpio66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpio66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2002 at 10:06pm
Thanks for the advice!

Since the hairstylist #1 does not like to use foils, I may have to look for another hairstylist. I am too afraid to go back to the last one that fried my hair.

Maybe I should call around to some of the local hair places. It just seems like a good one is so hard to find. My hair is fine and thin, and I have to be very careful what I do to it.

The funny thing is, for the last 2 years, using that cap and the Sun Glitz, my hair was in pretty good condition. Its just that I was very pale blonde on the front and sides, and more golden in the back, with no natural color showing but the dark roots growing in. It seemed so bright with my dark eyes and tan. Thats why I went for the change, to try to add a little depth to it, and go more ashy blonde, not so pale and golden.

Now I wish I didn`t do it, only because, I would have rathered have the all over golden blonde and my good hair condition, than this fine thin frizzy broken hair. I swear, it has almost thrown me into a depression. Oh, well, what do they say..."this too shall pass"...

Thanks for your advice and response....:)

Kaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2002 at 7:47pm
Hiya!

I`m so sorry to hear about the hell you`ve gone through when having your hair colored.

I too am a naturally dark brunette, but I`m now blonde with brown highlights. I`ve been through it all when it comes to going blonde:

Home products - block one color blonde
Dark brown - half head blonde highlights
Blonde highlights, dark blonde highlights

But right now, I`ve managed to conduct a gorgeous shade of color from my stylest.

As I have had many experience when doing my hair (and boy, do all my friends say the same! lol), and the amount of stylists I know, spoken to and been too.. none of them ever use caps. They only time they`ll use caps, is on very, very short hair - and even then they`re reluctant to use it. They always use foils.

The main reason they use foils, is because they tend to conduct more heat, so you don`t have to use a heating process. I`ve gone under a heater a couple of times, but that`s near the end.

If you had wanted some darker highlights, they should of opted for one of two things:

1) Semi-Permanant color
2) Stripped your hair of *all* color and start again

2, probably would of been too much on your hair, but they could of cut some of your hair afterwards, given your a conditioning treatment and told you to come back every month after, for a treatment and trim.

Being in the Uk, I can`t say I`ve heard of SunGlitz over here..

Thing is, even using the cap, the stylist should of been able to take some sections and offered or bleach/dyed it another color. I can`t see why there was any problems.

However, the first stylist should of used foils in the beginning, they can do it in ways so the bleach doesn`t touch your head.

I really hope some of this helps, and if you need anymore advice or anything, give me a shout!

Good luck!

x
Scorpio66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpio66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2002 at 3:04pm
I have naturally dark brown hair. A few years ago, I tried to use in-store coloring products to lighten my hair. Of course, I ended up with orange hair.

I went to a walk-in place, to see if they could lighten my hair any better. They used really strong products, which did lighten my hair somewhat, but it still had an orange tint. That wasn`t half as bad as what else happened. My scalp and face started to develop severe rashes and scabs, which needed medical attention from a dermatologist. Also, my hair was falling out terribly. I started using Nioxin, and got my hair in good shape.

Then I started going to a "better" hairstylist. She talked with me a lot about what happened to my scalp and hair. She decided to put a cap on my head, and do a "medium" pull through of my hair to give me blond highlights.

She used a product called "Sun Glitz" (I believe it is a bleach-type product), and she applied it to only the dark roots on my head. The last few times I went to her, she did "heavy" pull throughs with the cap, to give me more blonde. Then she would put on me a plastic cap, and put me under the dryer for about 10-15 minutes. I never had any reactions (since the product never touched my scalp area), and continued doing that every 6 weeks, for thelast 2 years.

The last time I went to her, I explained that I was becoming too blond. The my hair was pretty much all blond, a golden-yellowy kind of blond. The front and sides were extremely pale blond, and the back was darker golden blond with some lighter strands mixed in.

I told her that I needed to get some dimension in my hair, do something to add a little depth, and more darker blondes, ashy-type, instead of the golden-type. She couldn`t do anything but dye my roots (as normal), since she really didn`t block enough time to do anything more drastic.

So, she pulled me through the cap (medium), and used the SunGlitz product in a more ashy shade of blond, again dark roots only. It didn`t make to much of a change in my hair at all, it was still really blond.

So exactly 10 days later, I went to a different hairstylist (who did my daughter`s hair color). We talked about my situation. She suggested these things:

1) My hair had some breakage due to the over-bleaching of my hair. (Although my regular hairstylist says that she only bleaches the roots)

2) Foil highlights would be better than using a "cap". Caps are mostly for shorter hair. (My regular stylist doesnt like using foils, only uses a cap).

3) She does not use SunGlitz, it is quite harsh for the hair. (My regular stylist uses the SunGlitz on most of her clients, and wants to use it on me too).

4) She said you should not go under a dryer when you bleach or color hair, unless its the last few minutes to boost the bleach/coloring).

So, first, using foils, she put on dark brown (some of my natural color on some hair strands). Then on the remaining hair, which was all different light shades of golden blonde, she put on an ash-beige-type blonde coloring for like 5 minutes. She did get some of the coloring on my scalp, and it started to burn, so she wiped it off, and tried not to get any more on the scalp areas (I did forewarn her that I had a reaction a while back).

I like the way it turned out, but my hair is now fried badly. It feels very thin and frizzy on the ends. So I bought Joico K-Pak, Recouperator, and have been using that to try to help my damaged hair heal.

The sylist said that if I continue using the cap/highlight method, I will be back in the same boat I was in (being too golden blond everywhere, with roots being prominent after 4 weeks).

What would you do in this situation?
Have any of you heard of SunGlitz?
Did the 2nd sylist ruin my hair by coloring over the bleached areas?
Are foils better than caps?
I am getting differing opinions from the 2 different sylists so I am confused. Any one with any information that can help, I would appreciate it. Please post or e-mail me.
Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic