Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Color Oops: New Way to fix Hair Color Nightmares
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Color Oops: New Way to fix Hair Color Nightmares

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
PerfectBrunette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 9:24pm
Thanks Longhairdreams,

It's good to know which ones are sulfa based direct dye solvent like Color Oops and Colorfix and which ones are glorified bleach like Colorzap. I wish the labeling on the packages required  more explanation.  BTW: I'm trying to grow my hair long too! It takes forever.
littlekitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlekitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 11:24am

Thanks so much for the informative reply, Perfect Brunette! I really do appreciate it.

I wasn't sure about coloring after the color oops - I went to the Walgreens site and scome color oops users reported that the immediate color they got afterwards was pretty so I  thought maybe I wouldn't need color at all. I had was wondering about using an ash tone after the color oops to neutralize the coppery color but thanks to you I now know this will not work.

I have to say redheads do get A LOT of attention. Yesterday a drop-dead gorgeous guy - he had beautiful curly-wavy thick black shoulder length hair!!! - held a door open for me for a long time with a big smile - I was approaching from several yards away. God, I wish I had that guy's phone number! Maybe I shouldn't change my hair color after all! LOL! Makes me wonder if a woman's hair color is a huge turn-on for men.
kitty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 4:55pm
LOL! Men totally are into hair color. Haven't you heard them talking about their fantasies? They always involve some generic girl with a certain haircolor - a blonde, redhead or brunette. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlekitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 12:18pm

I was thinking how hard and unrealistically judgemental we women are on ourselves and how we look. Here I was thinking I had Ronald MacDonald-colored hair (it's not that bad but that's how I picture it) and lo and behold on Saturday I see the same reddish-brown haircolor on a celebrity on the cover of a magazine! I have to say I didn't like it much on Angelina Jolie either but...

Anyway, I have another question. I just got a call from a very expensive and chi-chi hair salon that needs a hair color model for Wednesday. It's free too - the normal price is over $300 for my long hair! I've been there before and they do lots of extremely fine and beautiful natural blonde highlights - this is the salon's specialty. The trainees always do a super job. Do you think it would be ok to highlight over the reddish color? The salon told me highlights over permanent color is fine but they don't do color corrections. Btw, I haven't bought or used the color oops...maybe I won't need it now. I know the salon sometimes uses bleach highlights and something non-bleach - it's called "fashion color." I'm just wondering what would work better.

Thanks so much, it's great to have a place to get so much hair info and generally just to vent! :)

kitty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 12:07pm
Hi littlekitty,

I say if you like the base color, go for the highlights. Why not? Free highlights are a steal. Just make sure you don't give them creative license. I was asked to be in a hair show once for Aveda and I let the guy dye my hair bright orangey red. I hated it so much I didn't want to be in the hair show and dropped out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlekitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 6:45pm

Hi Perfect and everyone,

It's really strange but this haircolor seems to be changing from day to day. Perhaps I'm just getting used to it - but it seems be more brown and the red is fading a bit. What might have helped too is I got my hair cut yesterday as a prep for the highlights (had to cancel the hi-lite appt today because of bad weather but I made another appt for 2 weeks from now) and it actually looks pretty good.

My hairstylist mentioned that I missed a big spot when I was coloring (underneath and not noticeable) and he asked if I combed the dye thru...I said, "ummm, no, it didn't say to comb it thru." LOL! I also got a different hair style than what I usually get.

We were chatting about American Idol and my stylist mentioned there were some cute guys on the show and I think he went off into some sort of Am. Idol sexual fantasy daydream. He was cutting this way and that way and hair was raining down like crazy and I thought OMG I'm not going to have any hair left. Last time I'm talking about cute guy singers to a gay guy cutting my hair!!! :) But my hair looks really really good so maybe the fantasy worked out for my hair. I got one of those swingy-flippy layered cuts (no bangs) that falls away from the face and toward the face - like that judge on "Shear Genius" - Jacqueline something...I was going to say Susann but that one's dead!

So I'm happy and I'm hoping the highlights add another dimension to what I originally assumed would be the worst hair mistake of my life. Sometimes things aren't as bad as they seem.
kitty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 9:35pm
Glad things worked out! I love American Idol.
babygyrl799 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babygyrl799 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 11:29pm

I lightened my dark dark brown hair going for a lite almost blonde color and it turned platinum blonde at the roots and then orange. how do i fix that?

**babygyrl799**

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 10:23pm
Yikes. Sorry to hear about that. Color removers are really only for hair that has gone too dark with color, not too light. How to fix it depends on what color you currently are going for. If you still want to go light blond, you could either ...

1) Go to a professional and have them finish the job
2) Apply bleach to the darker parts of your hair only (sparing the roots). Level of difficulty for beginners is quite high, however and its hard to bleach evenly.

If you just want to go back to a brunette color, you could apply either a semi or demipermanent shade in one color lighter than you want. This should help even out the roots and the rest of the hair although it won't look perfectly even. For better results, leave on roots for twice as long as the rest of your hair.

Good luck.

Edited by PerfectBrunette - March 29 2008 at 10:23pm
Slipknothartgir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slipknothartgir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 5:36pm
You are right about trying to color over color,but I have colored over color for years & my hair turned out good.I think that just means when u try to lighten it after it's darken.Then again I had a dark red & wanted it lighter & a girl I know that does hair said she would have to bleach it to lighten it, wrong!I got it lighter without bleaching it,so I guess u can lighten certain colors by using just haircolor.Mine is a lighter red just like I wanted.I always chnage my hair color.I have been doing it for 20 years now.The only time I mess my hair up is when I used bleach.I'll never bleach again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2008 at 7:14pm
Slipknot,

What type of hair dye did you use? What brand and developer? Usually, you cannot lighten hair that has already been colored without removing the color somehow first. I wonder why it worked for you?
StylistMartin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StylistMartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2012 at 4:33pm
Hey! Colour reducers are fab but I must advise, They work best on recently coloured hair because the colour molicules have not had enough time to set and get trapped under the cuticle, For those who have coloured there hair with box coloures for longer than you would care to remember, I would recommend to not use a colour reducer no more than three times in one go.

Usually as a stylist if the client has got alot of hair colour build up I would usually have to use bleach because I know a reducer will not lift all the colour molicules from the hair, Saying that sometimes I would have to say that the colour choice is unacheivable.

But all of this is in question ofr hair type, density and texture.

I hope this helps a little.
Here for help !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic