Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hair changes color with every wash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JenJ26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JenJ26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hair changes color with every wash
    Posted: December 01 2007 at 5:49am
hi,
recently dyed my hair permanent blonde.
well first it was a horrible orange color, then changed to gingery blonde, then proper blonde, and now with each wash it goes darker and darker, it now looks brown, its going more like my natural hair color with every wash!
i though maybe some peoples hair is like this? that maybe my hair doesn't take well to color and will eventually just wash out?
or is it the hairdresser maybe she did something wrong?
or maybe its because i use straightners alot? its just that when i first had it dyed my boyfriend saw me straightening my hair and he said 'i thought you was not allowed to straighten your hair when you dye it' i never heard of this before so have carried on straightning it which i always do after i wash my hair, could this be the reason?
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2007 at 5:40pm
Lightening your hair, means bleaching your hair. You're stripping your hair of it's natural pigment, so for it to wash out is impossible. It may be the water in your area, when water is "hard" it can discolour your hair. The only solutions I can think of for this are buying distilled water and tipping it over your head in the shower, or installing a water filtration system.

Also, blonde hair tends to get dull after a few washes, so you could try using a toner conditioner everytime you wash your hair (I shampoo, tone then condition). I like Schwarzkopf Hair Repair Blonde Toner, but there's tons out there. Probably a good place to start.
zaxwrit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zaxwrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2007 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Ally<3 Ally<3 wrote:

Also, blonde hair tends to get dull after a few washes, so you could try using a toner conditioner everytime you wash your hair (I shampoo, tone then condition). I like Schwarzkopf Hair Repair Blonde Toner, but there's tons out there. Probably a good place to start.

Hi Ally, I have never heard of a toner conditioner. Sounds very interesting! Do you use that and then a different conditioner, or is it two in one? Is it a lightener like Shimmer Lights?
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 1:30am
hey zaxwrit, it says on the bottle to use as a conditioner, however, it's not rich enough in my opinion, and after leaving it in my hair for 5 minutes I wash it out and condition as normal. It's good to know you have that little extra bit of conditioning while you're toning, though.

It won't lighten the hair, no, but it will lift the yellow and gold tones and leave your blonde a more pearly white.

Edited by Ally<3 - December 02 2007 at 1:32am
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 8:15pm
How often do you straighten your hair?

I'm pretty sure you CAN straighten colored hair,as long as it is at least a week or two after.
Doing so before then wouldnt make your color change though,it would most likely just cause breakage.
Are you sure the stylist lightened your hair and didnt just apply a semi color or toner over it?
But ALLY is right blonde hair can fade,I have never heard of it fading darker though.
savyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 11:53am

blonde hair is very pore-us... (think pores on a face) and they are very thirsty. You deffinately have to be careful of the water in your area, john freida shampoos can help clarify any water hardiness... but I dont suggest the conditioner as john frieda kinda makes my hair feel dry. Use a condtioner that does not fade color. Try magic lights conditioner, or a biological friendly one. (they dont contain color harming ingrediants) My hair is quite blonde but does fade time to time if I dont use proper shampoos and such. Usually a blast from magic lights brings me back.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic