Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

well water woes...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
piper777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piper777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: well water woes...
    Posted: December 11 2007 at 12:24pm
Hi all !  I am new here and I want to cry!  I have been living with well water for 5 years now  and never, ever thought my hair could look so horrible.  There was a water conditioning / softening system in the basement when I bought the place  and figured that it would do what it was supposed to do.  My hair slowly went from curly, shiny, bouncy and beautiful to lackluster, broken, frizzy and miserable.  I tried everything from hard water shampoos to having the water treatment system updated, serviced, etc. I spent hundreds of dollars and my hair was looking worse than ever. I have had my water analyzed several times and the results are: slightly  hard water, pH slightly acidic.   My sister is a hairdresser and was giving me advice but nothing worked.  I finally got sick of spending $$$ on salt for the water softener and realized that the processed water was part of the problem.  My hair was better this summer ( maybe the humidity helped ?) but now my hair won't curl, it is just miserable and limp and looks horrible.  When I am away from home and wash my hair ( at a hotel or a relative's house ) it looks fantastic.  The only place I can't wash it and have it look good is at home.  I am so depressed about going to work as a health teacher ( and looking like I didn't wash my hair )  that I want to move to a house that has town water.  Any suggestions?  It doesn't seem to matter which shampoo and conditioner I use, in fact the salon brands seem to be worse than Pantene ( which worked over the summer but not now ). I recently tried baking soda mixed with my shampoo and conditioner to correct the pH and to remove the mineral buildup but I think that will eventually strip the color out of my hair.  Even gels for curls do no good?!?!?!?  I read Cher's stories and only hope that my sturggle will not  take as long as hers ( thanks for the info Cher! ).  I used to use Aveda and loved it but since moving to this house it seems nothing works.
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 9:36pm

Piper, I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having.  I grew up with well water.  Sometimes it was good, sometimes not so good.  Several years ago I started using apple cider vinegar as a final rinse after washing my hair.  It helps restore the pH balance and also rinses away any clinging minerals that would build up.  I use about 1 tablespoon in a glass of water, and pour it over my scalp and through my hair after I get out of the shower.  I can tell a big difference when I go several washes without using it. 

Yeah, using baking soda on the hair is like exfoliating your skin.  I have no doubt that it stripped some of your color.  But using the greatest conditioner in the world won't help if build-up is blocking it out.

edited to add:
I also meant to say - If you can wash it in a sink or bathtub, you could use purified or distilled water to rinse your hair.  I know someone who buys it by the gallon at walmart just for that purpose.  Depending on how much you use and how often, it's probably cheaper than buying filters.

Edited by hairbraider - December 18 2007 at 9:42pm
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
piper777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piper777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2007 at 12:01pm
Hi - Thanks so much for sharing your story.  I will try the apple cider vinegar tonight.  I am hopeful that something will work.  I am 36 but I know I look much older when my hair looks like this.  I am willing to try anything and everything.  Thanks again!

Piper
jesseann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jesseann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2007 at 7:57pm
hi, i wanted to say I also have well water and I have the same problem, I just found this new shampoo called mixed chicks it is fantastic, I have also spent lots of money on products with no success. Mixed chicks has a website that you caan request free samples before you purchase. I am sure you will not be disapointed
jesseann
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic