Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - scabs and redness where braids are. Help! Normal?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

scabs and redness where braids are. Help! Normal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1Nora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1Nora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scabs and redness where braids are. Help! Normal?
    Posted: December 19 2007 at 8:06pm
Hello Everyone!

I just got extensions sewn in last Friday, so it's been about 6 days. The braids were braided so tightly that in some areas on my scalp I got bumps, teeny tiny scabs (about the size of, I dont know, a blackhead/pore), or it's just really red. I tried to loosen some of the braids up so they weren't pulling at my hair and scalp so tightly. It's not that painful. Just a little itchy but not too bad. It's only itchy where the hair is pulled tightly.

I just want to know if the small scabs are normal? And the redness. And what about the small bumps? They feel like pimples, but they're not and I only have two where the braid in one row is pulled unevenly tight.

Is this okay? Really, I dont know if I should go have them taken out.

I got them done in a salon. She was African American and would do her daughter's hair and some clients. She wasn't licensed though as far as I know. I thought it'd be okay. I still think her work is good but maybe my head being a virgin of tight cornrows, just needs to adjust and get used to it.

The extensions weren't as thick as I wanted them also because of the hair I bought to have put in. So I took some of the extra hair and got the bonding glue and glued them to the other extensions (NOT MY HAIR) below the braid where the other extensions are sewn in.

Ahh, I just need help in this area. Please, anyone, I need someone to help me figure out if what I'm experiencing with the scabs and everything is normal or if I should just get it taken out.

And is the glue thing okay? Can I wash my hair normal with glue or will it spread through to the rest of my hair?

HELP!!!!?
1Nora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1Nora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2007 at 9:05pm
Im guessing no one knows. :(
CuteandSassy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteandSassy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2007 at 9:13pm
I've never had bumps from braids...  I'm sorry to hear that this happened it sounds uncomfortable.  When I do have a tight sew in sometimes I just rinse my head with cold water though to release the tension from the braids.  

It sounds like your braids might be too tight though.  It sounds like the scabs could be from your hair being pulled out maybe?  I don't know.  I always thought if your scalp turned red you should remove it.  I hope someone else comes in and helps.
CuteandSassy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuteandSassy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2007 at 9:17pm
Oh you can wash it.  The glue wouldn't spread.  It may loosen after a while but you could just re-glue it.

Once again I'm sorry this has happened to you.  I am AA and I get sew ins all the time.  I have one now.  This has never happened to me.  I have had red scalp in one part of my hair once but I removed that sew in.  I have never gotten scabs.   So I would say that is not normal. 
1Nora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1Nora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2007 at 9:40pm
Oh jeez!!

I think I'll go wash my hair right now. I dont want my hair being pulled out. This totally sucks. I wanted this to help my natural hair not hurt it.

I'm never getting extensions again. I thought this would be the least damaging method. Thank you for answering!!

The hair stylist told me that every time I wash my hair, the braids will loosen. I've just been putting olive oil serum on my scalp and braids where it's being pulled tightly.

My hair isn't damaged permanately right!? Oh gosh, IM SO BAD AT HAVING HAIR!!!!
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2007 at 12:09am
Simply put your braids are too tight.. This is not normal or a matter of you getting used to it.. I have had ladies ask me how will they know if the braids are too tight.. The answer is VERY simple.. If it HURTS LIKE HELL.. the braids are too tight.. The cornrow base should be tight for the style to have longevity, but tight does not equal SEVERE PAIN..

I have been wearing sew-ins off and on for many years now.. I have never lost hair, or suffered damage as a result of this method.  Most of the ladies I do know who've suffered hair loss and damage did so from improper care of their own hair (excess use of heat etc) or from improper braiding techniques (braids too tight).. Don't give up on the method, but do speak to your stylist about the braids being too tight and the issues you are having.. If she is not responsive, find another stylist..

That said.. I think you can turn this around and in short order.. CuteandSassy is right.. A wash with warm water can help to loosen the braids, and resolve your immediate issue.. A little hydro cortisone creme on the bumps will also resolve those in a matter of days.. (CortAid should work very well and quickly)
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
Shirilyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shirilyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2007 at 7:59am
1Nora, I am so sorry to hear of your horrible experience with your extensions. It really makes me angry that  alot of people are doing sew in extensions and not giving a da** about the integrity of the hair. Your braids, which is the base, is not, and I do repeat, is not suppose to be uncomfortable. Just because the braids are extremely tight does not mean your hair will stay.

If it is too tight, the hair will come out from the root, which will cause a damaged hair follicle's. For my caucasian clients I use a net or make a base net with thread so that the extensions will stay longer.

The itching can be that the extensions are too tight. You need to have them removed, especially if it is a couple of days later and your're still in pain.

Good luck with your extensions!
http://www.myspace.com/texashairextensionqueen
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2007 at 12:40pm
1Nora, while I was reading your post I knew your braids were done too tight. The ladies here are right, your braids are just too effing tight!! I'm sorry you experienced this.

I love the sew in method. It's a safe and affordable way to have extentions without damage. I read about people suffering from severe itchiness and bald patches which totally sucks but it's only because the braids were too tight.

As for washing your hair, that's another reason I love sew ins. I don't worry about them slipping out. I do intense conditioning twice a week and never worry that my tracks will slip.

Your hair will be fine. If you continued to go to that stylist then yes, after a while your hair follicles will be damaged permanently.

If you still want extensions then my suggestion is to go to someone else and let them know your concerns. You can even have one track done, see how you like it and go back for the rest of your tracks. If you don't like the track you can add another track by someone else and you'll be able to compare.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic