Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Long Hair Accessory or Toy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2003 at 7:21am
Yes, yes, great topic and great responses so far!

For me, it's my mother vintage pearl bun topper. Let me see if I can explain this: It is an elasticized network of pearls that goes over a bun like a little cap almost. My mom got in circa 1970 and I just love it! Coworkers have said it makes me look like a.) a ballet dancer, b.) a socialite (?!) and my favorite, c.) a Russian princess. All becaue of a bunch of pearls! I have a photo of it somewhere on my old PC....when I can I'll post it. I wish I could find more of these bun accessories--actually Karen do you carry anything like this? I haven't bought from you yet and this would be something I'd use a lot!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2003 at 7:07am
Hi Karen

Great question!!!
Please excuse the ensuing enthusiasm and length of post.

Favorite hair retraints are leather/suede strips.
I first make a ponytail and use the strip to tie it. Then I take the two strip lengths and use them – in a random way to secure the rest of the hair into a sort of bun.
The material is hair-friendly and the look compliments my dress sense.
However, I can’t wear this look to work (too obscure/chaotic) and have to make do with mock leather/suede effect scrunchies which blend into the business-suited look.

Favorite hair adornments fall into 2 categories: found things and bought things.

Found things are picked up in the local copse or in the garden.
All time favourite is ivy. I bind and weave this in/through my hair. It secures very well as it is quite tough. Moreso the woodland type than the variegated cultivar which has a softer (& weaker) stem.

I use flowers to adorn my semi-up semi-down do for special occasions. Anything seasonal works and is secured with black thread. For a wedding I am going to next month, I shall be wearing a big iris flower and tiny conch seas shells (which I have drilled holes in), again, thread-fastened to the hair.

Bought things are as follows:

Wood beaded head wraps (elasticated). I wear these horizontally rather than vertically i.e around the hair line at the top of the forehead. I pull my side and back hair over the band so that just the part that covers the hairline is visible. This is one hair accessory that I can use with the hair loose :-)

Semi-precious stones. I love these, especially turquoise, in my (mostly) black hair. I usually buy stretchy stone bracelets and use a few of them to wrap my hair. I am currently looking for a big rough-cut lump of snowflake obsidian or green aventurine to wear in my hair.

There is nothing quite as glorious and as beautiful as unrestrained and unadorned hair, though.
Just my opinion.

Uzi
Uzi

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2003 at 8:37pm
Hi Karen,

When it comes to my own hair, I prefer simple terrycloth-coverd elastic ponytail rings. I also use the wide elastic ponytailers (that have the seams glued together) to tie off the ends of my braid.

On women, though, I have lately been seeing more and more different types of hair accessories (I can't identify some of the accessories), and they all lend to great looks.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2003 at 6:37pm
Hi all,

What do you guys & gals consider your all time fav hair accessories or toys?

I work from time to time helping out in the HB.com's warehouse and I have a box of "hair toys" that I keep available ever since I literally taped my hair to a box and it took awhile for them to untape me. :-)

I LOVE all types of banana/dolphin clips and have some Fake-arres, a few of the Evita Peroni dolphins and some little Fake-arres. I usually wrap my hair into a bun and pop in the clip and viola, it is off my face and neck.

I also love the Blax because I can do an instant ponytail.

Others on my fav list are the big rectangular volume barrettes to make a big fat ponytail and the little soft barrettes that act as scrunchies that I use to anchor a twisted bun. I wear toys from all our lines but find that the banana/dolphins are the first thing I reach for.

What do you all wear? What do you guys wear? Jeff of HB.com wears some Blax and some bungees. He also has black elastic ponytail bands all over his office. :-)

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic