Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do I do this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yorkieluvr06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yorkieluvr06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I do this?
    Posted: December 28 2007 at 8:48pm
Hello, I am wanting to color my naturally medium brown hair to a dark ash/natural blonde and then have lots of highlights added in, but I'm not really sure how I should go about this. I really cannot afford to go to the salon but am desperate for a change. I've always usually colored my hair at home and done highlights before, so I've had quite alot of experience coloring my own hair with good results. I have used the loreal professional type kits before to do this double process type thing but wasnt happy with the product itself. So now I'd like to know what the best type of products are to use for this and how to go about it. Do I need to bleach it first, then use a permanent color to get it the nice dark ashy blonde, and then put highlights on? It has to be permanent, I dont want it to fade out and look orange!! Is there a color that will lift it enough to the dark blonde? I've heard good things about Redken, does anyone have any advice on these products, do they come out darker than expected? I have used clairol products that were like that,I had once used a dark blonde that came out medium brown! My hair is very healthy also, it hasnt been colored in a very long time and I get cuts every couple months so I know my hair will be able to take all the colorings. Thank you in advance!! :-)
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2007 at 2:42am
When lightening your hair it will go through different colour fazes. Usually the way it goes is- red, then orange then yellow. Someone who is wanting to dye they're white blonde must first bleach it to the yellow stage and tone. If you want a dark ash blonde, after lightening the hair to the appropriate stage, you're going to have to put a tint over it, because as far as I can tell, your hair will go orange with just the bleach. If you're able, don't dye the parts of the hair you want to hightlight. If you're doing your highlights at home, do them first and cover them in foil. then apply the dye to the remaining hair. I'd also suggest using a toner after (priceline holds a ton of different ones) if you want a ashy result.

This is risky though, and would only suggest you attempt it if your confident and experienced.

Good luck with it, let us know how it goes. :)
borne.blonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borne.blonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2007 at 11:48am
Here is an advocate of Redken. She asks to please put questions in her comments section & is showing setup of how to do bleach on a head...

http://killerstrands.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic