Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

blonde dye over yellow/orange hair ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Fontanelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fontanelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: blonde dye over yellow/orange hair ?
    Posted: January 12 2008 at 10:51am
I've dyed my light brown hair(nearly all natural, ends had been bleached in the past and had been dowm brown once a year ago) with live color xxl platinum and surprise surprise its gone yellow with orange, I know the ideal thing would to use toner except here in the uk I can only get hold of the most useless semi permanent ones, sallys don't even sell any good ones. so I was wondering if buying a light blonde dye and putting it over the top would be the best idea ? I really want to avoid having to do another hardcore bleach job as I don't think my hair is up to it.
I'd just like to get it a nice blonde shade, just not yellow and orange.
xox
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2008 at 5:41pm

I know I say this alot,but I would use a light ash blonde. When my hair was blonde,it always had some orange/golden tones until I used a light ash blonde...then it was platnium.

Here are pics that are an example...The first pic you can see alot more golden/slightly orange tones.The second is me after a light ash blonde,and as you can see,most of the orange/golden tones are gone.

Fontanelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fontanelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2008 at 5:45pm
thank you !
i'll buy some light ash dye tomorrow and give it ago.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 10:04pm
Try to use like the lightest one you can find. I think I used like extra light ash blonde.
I hope it helps...let me know how it goes.
PerfectBrunette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 1:12am
Jules

I love your blonde pics. How did you get that color? You look great!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 5:56pm

Thanks Pb,but these are a few years old,and my hair is not blonde anymore.

The way I did it though...was first going to a light reddish color from brown. Then I just dyed it blonde.Gradually I went lighter using the lightest ash blonde until it was that color.

Jewelryprincess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelryprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2008 at 1:34pm

Hi Jules!

I am also trying to get my hair to go platnum or near that without too much damage... I am starting out at black. When I bleach the roots once they are a gold color..I usually bleach a second time to get my hair to a light stage.. then I was putting on beige blond. I want to try using the extra light ash blonde, instead of bleaching a second time to lift my hair more. What brand were you using? Some brands work better than others... Thanks!
Jewelry Princess In Pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2008 at 2:55pm
I used either Loreal Blonde Supreme (ultimate lightening in one box) in extra light ash blonde or Loreal Les Blondimess (spelling?)
beige blonde is a nice color,I used the ash though to get out those pesky orangey tones that just wouldnt go completely away.
Jewelryprincess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelryprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2008 at 5:07pm
Jules, Thanks so much! I will look and see what I can find...
Jewelry Princess In Pink
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 7:16pm
Careful with the ash, over time your bleached ends will suck the color up and it will turn grey. I ALWAYS used extra light ash blonde on my hair cause when I bleach my hair it too goes orange/yellow aswell and ash totally gets rid of that,however over time your hair does turn grey/purple. I'm now just using light golden blonde to get rid of it. You can also try using a toning contioner or shampoo and using it ONLY on the regrowth you bleach, and letting it sit, I do that when I don't have haircolor.
~* Bambi Lee *~
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 7:18pm
Using beige is a neutral it'll do poop all to clear up the gold tones....  use ash to tone down gold and yellow but always be careful, try to just use it on your regrowth (after bleaching if you have dark hair) I went from black to the color I am now which is a mixture of light golden and plantium... I have heavy greyish spots along the top and sides due to using ash way to much.... :(
~* Bambi Lee *~
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 7:20pm
Hey Jules we did exactly the same thing, I'm still blonde though. Did you ever have trouble with your hair going grey?
~* Bambi Lee *~
zaxwrit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zaxwrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Bambilee Bambilee wrote:

Hey Jules we did exactly the same thing, I'm still blonde though. Did you ever have trouble with your hair going grey?

Bambi I have had this trouble when I used ash. It served its purpose, to get rid of my gold tones, but after using it once I had to switch to a cream color to fight the grey.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 12:38am
No bambilee,but I did have trouble with greenish tones after my hair was pretty light.It seemed to wash out after a while though.
Shanyn87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shanyn87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 8:19pm
blue-ish tone to take out the orange... go to a salon!! they can do it the best, or if you know someone who can buy from a professional store.. paul mitchell it works wonders.
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 10:33pm
SO far my experince with salon folk is they won't do it, and they won't do it properly... so far none will tone my hair for me, (too cheap I guess)
And yes, purple does take out the orange but after the orange is gone most of the hair will take on the tone of the ash which is really purple... specially damaged hair. It does fade after a while though... :) I had green tones when I had dark blonde hair... I dunno why that happened.
~* Bambi Lee *~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic