Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

my weave rubberbands keep breaking!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DharmaType View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DharmaType Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my weave rubberbands keep breaking!!
    Posted: January 14 2008 at 2:00pm
Hi Ladies --- I'm getting pretty frustrated b/c for the last several months my rubberbands keep breaking -- 

Any ideas on what can cause this?  And I try to be gentle.....

Thanks!
Shirilyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shirilyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2008 at 8:05pm
How long have you had the rubberband weave in? As a matter of fact mine has only been in a week, and I have not had any rubber bands to pop because they are not extremely tight and I don't bother my hair alot.
Shiry
http://www.myspace.com/texashairextensionqueen
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2008 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Shirilyn Shirilyn wrote:

How long have you had the rubberband weave in? As a matter of fact mine has only been in a week, and I have not had any rubber bands to pop because they are not extremely tight and I don't bother my hair alot.
Shiry
Girl.. can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE explain (pics would be nice too ) how a rubberband weave is installed and maintained.. We've talked about it here before, but I'd like to know in as much detial as you care to share HOW this type of weave is done.. (pretty please!)

Edited by Divavocals - January 14 2008 at 8:32pm
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
DharmaType View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DharmaType Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2008 at 9:02am
Hi Shirilyn -- I've only had this in a week.   I think my gal switched rubberband brands; do you think this could be causing it?
Shirilyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shirilyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 8:26pm
Well, that could be a factor. Are they really thin or thick rubberbands? Divavocals, I will post a pic as soon as I get one. I have not uploaded the pics on my computer.
Shirilyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shirilyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 8:29pm
Oh yeah, I forgot to explain, well I don't install my rubberbands to tight. I do not wrap more then three times. I make a web, sew the pigtails down and wala,I'm done. I only do this when I don't feel like braiding my hair. Now as far as maintenance, I haven't had any rubberbands pop or come out, and even if they do, if a stylist knows how to interlock the rubberbands that come out shouldn't make a difference. The reason I don't wrap more than three times is because the hair will swell when wet, so I have to have some room for my hair to expand and not have any tension on it.
mokipono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mokipono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 1:53am
Believe it or not most rubberband breakage comes from not storing them in the refrigerator. This is very very very important, when working with elastic bands. Another reason could be the quality of the rubberbands. Dental rubberbands made for wearing with braces are very strong. They have to hold up through a lot of talking, and chewing, with plenty of elasticity, and have to be really small, and almost clear to be unnoticeable.  I order them right through a dental supply company. They told me they have all kinds of people requesting the bands along with dentists, mostly of them are for art projects. You can Google them by dental supplies, or elastic band. I've found the best ones are 5/16 of an inch.
Another reason bands don't hold up is if the person has oily hair. Although this is very rare if the proper bands are used.
Shirlyn is right, if done properly, it won't matter because with a braid and sew install the thread used to sew on the weft reinforces the track.
mokipono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mokipono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 5:48pm
Diva, This is for you......here's some pics ....the top pic is a banded track, the light spots are rubberbands. The top pic is not a cornrow but a different type of track.  If the hair is very fine and silky, or sparse I will use rubberbands combined with synthetic hair. If the hair is good strong curls, I won't use either, they aren't necessary.
The bottom pic is a cornrow track with bands, and synthetic hair. This client has very little hair so we used these tracks to sew on an integration piece.
It's the same as a cornrow, just every 2" inches the 3 strands are banded, and after banding they are split in half to make 2 strands, and the pick up along the track is the 3rd strand. And then back you go to 3 strands for your cornrow.

Edited by mokipono - January 18 2008 at 5:51am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 10:14am
Mokipono.. You are the BEST.. Thanks for the pics.. This helps a lot.. Help me understand.. It looks like two strand twists that are secured at the scalp with rubberbands.. Am I seeing this correctly??
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 11:15am
Thanks for posting the pictures Mokipono!

mokipono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mokipono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 2:48pm
Good eye Diva.....the top pic is a twisted track not a cornrow. But the rubberbands work on any type track to keep it from slipping.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by mokipono mokipono wrote:

Good eye Diva.....the top pic is a twisted track not a cornrow. But the rubberbands work on any type track to keep it from slipping.
Ooooo... goodie goodie... Do I get an A teacher!

Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 12:03am
Hi Mokipono. Can you post the after pics? I think you do great work, show it off!!!!! Plus it would encourage women who visit HB who suffer from severe hair loss, letting them see that they have options.
ALL EYES ON ME
mokipono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mokipono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 12:59am

Hi Ms. Honey, I have a lot of before and after pics on my website. www.hawaiianhairextensions.com/_wsn/page9.html www.hawaiianhairextensions.com/_wsn/page4.html Most clients with hairloss don't really want me spreading their pics around....here's a pic of the full head  integration piece I like to use.

Edited by mokipono - January 24 2008 at 2:24am
charron08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charron08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2008 at 12:24pm
wow very interesting!..thanks for posting mokipono! This is so great!..
Weave Queen
www.myspace.com/weavesbycharron07
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2008 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by charron08 charron08 wrote:

wow very interesting!..thanks for posting mokipono! This is so great!..
You're here!!!!!!ClapClapClapClap

_Princess_ View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2008 at 9:18pm
Very interesting, I've neva heard of this method
_Princess_ View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2008 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by mokipono mokipono wrote:

Hi Ms. Honey, I have a lot of before and after pics on my website. www.hawaiianhairextensions.com/_wsn/page9.html www.hawaiianhairextensions.com/_wsn/page4.html Most clients with hairloss don't really want me spreading their pics around....here's a pic of the full head  integration piece I like to use.

Are tha integration pieces made wit the rubberbands also or sewn onto a net?
Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2008 at 10:04pm
Thanks for the pics hon!
ALL EYES ON ME
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2008 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Ms.Honey Ms.Honey wrote:

Thanks for the pics hon!

Ms. Honey!! YAY!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic