Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

microbraids often cause hair loss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jean32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jean32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: microbraids often cause hair loss
    Posted: January 16 2008 at 4:59pm
Too tight microbraids[microbraids are parted in very small parts]often cause traction alopecia because the hair is braided too tightly and too close to the scalp.

Edited by jean32 - January 16 2008 at 5:00pm
shaniaisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaniaisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 9:35am
okay
harlem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harlem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2008 at 5:06pm
Hi
I agree....Micro Braids for me is the perfect remedy for outgrowing a short cut, however, not so tight but tight enough that they do not fall out.  I also think that it matters how long you keep them in and the care that you give them......
femmemuscle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2008 at 2:32pm
anything too tight on one's head, be it a weave, cornrow, microbraid, or ponytail will cause traction alopecia.  My experience has been with wearing weaves..braiding the hair tightly while wet before sewing in the tracks. That was the culprit.. 6 months ago, i had bald spots or thinned hair in certain areas, especially the crown when i finally decided to go weave free.
some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.
DiZZ-DiZZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiZZ-DiZZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2008 at 2:10am
MiCROS AINT FOR ERRYONE!!
ehairexperts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehairexperts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2010 at 2:49am
"jean32" and "femmemuscle" are both absolutely correct. Any style that consists of pulling the hair too tight will cause stunted hair growth as well as hair loss. Braids, in general are known for causing hairloss/breakage (depending on how they are styled AND cared for) however micro braids seem to be a leading cause of hair loss compared to the other braid techniques.

Since micro braids only use such a small portion of hair to attach the extension to, if the braid is pulled too tight, it is much easier for those few hair stands to be pulled out and/or broken off, especially around the hairline. Just as it is much easier to uproot a tree with few roots compared to a tree with many.

Solution: try using larger hair sections especially around the hairline and be sure your stylist is not braiding/pulling your hair too tight. Finally, if you are wearing your micros in a ponytail, be sure it is not too tight.
eHairExperts - your article resource for all of your hair extension needs. FREE product GIVEAWAYS.
lolivivi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lolivivi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2010 at 2:39am
Indeed very reasonable. But sometimes the hair is really a vexing issue. Thank you for reminding me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic