Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

do you think I can do it? - 1 YEAR LATER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
savyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: do you think I can do it? - 1 YEAR LATER
    Posted: January 22 2008 at 3:07pm
hello everyone, so this is my first official post in the long hair support forums! Here is my challenge; I'm 20 years old, I used to have quite thick hair, and down to my lower back... one bad dye job later and 2 years later I feel like I'm still suffering from it, but things arn't so bad anymore. I've been keeping up with my trims (1" every 2 months) and I think I'm finally at the stage where I'm going to stop all trims, and see what kinda length I can pull in before summer (which would officially june) yesterday I just got my last trim, I got rid of about an inch all around. here's pics of how my hair was just before I trimmed it. it still pretty much looks the same, minus maybe half an inch or so in the back. my hair is naturally dirty blonde, and wavy (like in the pics) it grows quite fast. I have about just under an inch of growth every month, I get my roots done every month with a 9N highlift. I only EVER get my roots done since the accident. I really really want my hair to be at about the small point of my lower back, just above where my waist kinda shrinks in. I figure I'll need about 4-6" depending on what kind of splits I see when the trims stop. feb to june is 5 months... do you think I can do it? no trims for 5 months? or maybe one tiny trim if things start looking bad? I need all the help I can get! I'll keep you posted as much as I can with pics and such. thanks everyone!

Edited by savyy - January 06 2009 at 7:02pm
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 8:26am
Your hair is lovely!  I don't know if I'd make a "no trims" at all rule, you might be able to do it, but since you lighten it, you might not.  You can certainly grow it to the length you want, you are almost there and it looks great.  If you need a trim at all, base it on whether you have splits or not, because you don't want splits to climb your hair.  Then if you do get them only trim off 1/4".  That way you get to keep almost all of your growth. 

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
savyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 10:39am
thanks for your compliments :) I only lighten at the roots so in reallity my hair at the bottom hasn't seen dye in a very long time... but I still do get splits, so I'll take your advice with the 1/4" if I see any. I also only dye the top/front area of my head, I let the back grow out naturally (dirty blonde) I'm thinking about getting my roots done maybe just a 9N from now on, I used to have that... I'm just afraid of getting a "stripe" at the roots... we'll see tho. thanks!
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 4:52am
You've got great hair! You probably could achieve what you want although it might be best to avoid heatstyling(don't know if you heatstyle or not) to do it faster.
Sunsailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2008 at 11:02pm
I agree that you're not far from your goal. It's looking good thus far!

Your hair looks much lighter than a 9N. It looks lighter than an 11N...
savyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2008 at 7:22pm
It could be lighter... I'm not sure if she's using the same formula at the salon, but last time I checked it was a 9N/40/hi-lift :) It gets way lighter in the summer... almost white.

anyways, I got another small trim... like half a centimeter, since then it feels like it's grown maybe an inch. I've got another concern about color tho, but I'll post it in the color threads :)
savyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 1:25pm

so it's march, update pic!

not sure if it's that much longer... havn't had any trims. but I'll be getting one today when I get my hair done, I've decided on probably just getting a half inch off the front (I've got some wacky layers I don't like anymore there) and maybe just a 1/4" in the back, splits in the back are very minimul surprisingly! except I have noticed my hair seems thinner lately :( I'm not sure why... been losing a lot in the shower too. sucks, sometimes I feel my hair is super thin or always falling out and I just wanna cut it all off!!!! but then a month later it feels great and I'm so glad I didnt. does anyone else ever get hair-moodswings like that? anyways theres an update!
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 4:11pm
     Oh yeah, it is surprisingly longer, Savvy! It's looking super. Shocked Bob
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 10:17am
Looks great Savyy! Thumbs%20Up

What is your goal?
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 8:25pm
Looks great. As paper asked what is your goal?
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 8:46am
It looks great still, and even healthier in the latest photo.  You must be taking very good care of it.

I get like that about mine too.  Sometimes I don't like it, other times I like it a lot.  Sometimes I just want to dye it, others I'm glad I didn't. 

Dyeing hair usually causes some hair loss from the root, but it probably doesn't look as thin as you feel like it looks (it doesn't look thin at all in your photos).  So, even though you know it is thinner than before, no one else can tell.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 7:53pm
Belated greetings, welcome to the forum Tanya!

Thank you for sharing your story and photographs.  It looks like your hair has made definite progress.  Lucky you with the fast-growing hair (helps absolve a lot of "sins").  Hang in there when you're feeling down.  Come here to commiserate -- we've all had our moments when growing towards our goals.  And FWIW, I think you could grow your hair really long -- if you wanted to.

savyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2008 at 11:25am
thanks everyone :) its a week later and like I said, I feel way better about the thickness issue already. as for my goal length, I want it to my lower back... I think I have 4-6 more inches to go now, and above all I want it healthy and thick down to there. so I'll be having a few trims in between. hopefully by the end of this year I'll be at my goal! yay! thanks for your help and support.
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 2:47pm

You have great hair!  Keep taking good care of it.  And do tell us when you're feeling down about it.  These people have been wonderful to lift me up at times like that.

sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
savyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2008 at 12:01am
feeling down about thinness lately.... felt like my hair was shedding for a month straight and now its finally stopped. sometimes I don't know if it's best to sleep with it in a loose scrunchy at night, or just leave it down... because sometimes when I wear it up too much it feels thin from it, but when its down at night wouldnt I be doing more damage?

boo :( no hair update pics cuz I feel like crap. I'm gonna sleep with it down for the week, see if I feel any better. I'm due for a trim at the middle of may, so thats when I'll most likely post an update pic.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2008 at 8:58am
A satin pillowcase may really help if you're having problems with hair pulling out.  Whether you sleep with it pulled back or down, it will help your head slide over the pillow without tension.

I'll say again if I hadn't said it before though, your hair really doesn't look thin at all in your pictures.  You may be worrying about something no one else can even see.  Remember that its normal to lose up to 100 hairs a day.  When hair is long, that really looks like a lot of hair, but its normal.

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 9:31pm
I concur with Susan.  I go through various shedding phases where I seem to lose quite a bit of hair, then it subsides for awhile.

I've found several things that help, especially silica (horsetail herb) and massaging the scalp with the fingertips, for about a minute each day.  I take additional supplements, which also seem to help minimize fallout, including Saw Palmetto, HairTopia herbal plus, biotin, and zinc.

savyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 1:12pm
thanks for your support, hair seems to have stopped shedding so much ...yay :)
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by savyy savyy wrote:

thanks for your support, hair seems to have stopped shedding so much ...yay :)

YAY! Clap

Also, sometimes we go through cycles when shedding inexplicably increases; sometimes this seems to occur after high levels of stress endured. Ouch
savyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 12:21am

I hate when this happens... my hairs been great recently, no shedding issues, looks full and long, virtually no splits. then I go in for my monthly apointment to get my roots done... she left the dye in for an hour and 20 mins, she said it stops working after a while but I swear my head feels like crap. not too much has been falling out or anything but my scalp feels burnt and my hair feels dry down to the tips! (even tho she only did the roots) I also made the mistake and asked her to "dust" the ends which normally I can't even tell she's done but this time she took off half an inch :( which personaly I dont think I needed that much off at all.... I'm pretty bummed out, my bf says my hair looks great and long still but I miss that half an inch more than I should... anyways I'm just ranting. I'll post a pic soon. boo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic