Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

brassy roots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shellygf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shellygf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: brassy roots
    Posted: February 10 2008 at 12:06pm

HELP! I dyed my own roots  instead of going to a salon and they turned an awful shade of brassy orange. My natural hair color is medium brown and I've been highlighting and lowlighting for over 20 years. I tried using blue viloet shampoo and conditioner and it helped a little, but then I tried to "fix" my brassy roots with a gray-ash color by Wella called lightest pearl blonde and a 20 volume developer.  I left it on for an hour because nothing was happening.  Well, the result was worse than before! My roots are screaming orange! My husband said I'll have to wear a hat to bed so he can sleep because they're so bright! I think I'm done trying to do it myself, because I'm out of tricks.

My question is, can a salon fix my roots?  The only good thing, is that I haven't ruined the condition at all - the roots are actually pretty soft, which is a relief considering how much garbage I've put into it this past week. What can I expect at a salon in order to fix my roots and what should I make sure they do or don't do?  I can't believe how awful my hair is!  I will only go out with a hat or kerchief until this is fixed!!
Thanks for all good advice.
lovetocolor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2008 at 12:27pm
you could try the brown protien filler from sally's and see if that takes the brass out.....it might fix the problem so that you don't need to put another color on it....i had an incident happen that turned red on me because i didn't use the brown protein filler....it won't hurt your hair.
happy coloring
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2008 at 5:13pm
What product did you use? Box colour or bleach? I'm guessing you have highlighted hair with low lights. Highlights can be touched up at home if you have the right bleach (do you know what your hairdresser used?)

My advice, without knowing more, is (if your using bleach with a 20 volume developer) is apply it again, checking every 10 mins, till you get it to the colour of the inside of a banana. Then, if you can get your hands on it, try Wella Colour charm in White Lady. If not, try any toner you can get your hands on.
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 11:07am

Id say lift them again and apply a toner... mine always are orange for a little while until ikeep applying toning conditoner to my dry roots almost every day and washing  my hair takes a couple days for themto even out...

~* Bambi Lee *~
jlpjtp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlpjtp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 12:06pm
Hi, I am new to the forum. What toning conditioner do you appy to your dry roots. A lady turned my hair yellow orange and spotted. I went to another salon and the lady removed most of it. My hair 3 inches from the roots are a little too warm for me. The rest looks great. She said next time it will all be even. My hair looked like neopolitan ice cream, horizontal stripes. It looks pretty good now compared to that. She said to condition the heck out of it and next time she will lighten the darker area only. If I could put something harmless on my root area until them I would be happy. Also is there a good leave in conditioner to help with the dryness on the ends. I have heard not to use protien leave in because it can dry the hair more, is this true? Thanks for all the help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 3:03pm
you need moisture on your hair now....not protien, it will make your hair break....makes it more brittle.....i don't know what the best leave in would be for bleached hair but alot of these ladies do know and i am sure you will get a response.
happy coloring
jlpjtp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlpjtp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 3:54pm
Thanks. It is hard to determine which products have too much protien and which are strictly moisture. I am eyeing the Artec moisture treatment. I am still confused what is best for bleached platinum blonde hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 4:54pm
try the redken extreme line of products....it is recommended for bleached damaged hair.  you can get it at either a beauty college or at a redken salon...give that a try.  have heard rave reviews on these products.
happy coloring
PerfectBrunette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 11:47pm
I think what you tried to do was use a toner on hair that had underlying orange pigment. You say your hair is highlighted heavily. I am guessing you have an all over blonde look?

The problem is you did not lighten your hair enough. What you need to do is actually remove the orange pigment by bleaching. Then tone.

If you are a newbie at this, I would totally recommend going to a salon. They should be able to fix this quite easily.

Then maybe your husband can sleep at night! jk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic