Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Red Hair ??s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kira244 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kira244 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Hair ??s
    Posted: February 17 2008 at 1:43pm
AL-right there have got to be some beautiful red heads here!! Please I am trying to get that beautiful red of Debra Messing.

So far I am a very dark auburn, not quite there but this next time I hope to get it right!! I am 35% gray and have natural dark blonde hair.

thanks!!
Kira
lovetocolor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 7:42pm
what brand of color are you using?  what level and color?  i am a redhead (naturally)  and have been coloring to cover grays.....i have experience with alot of different dyes from sally's and professional colors.  fill me in and let's see what we can do!Wink
happy coloring
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 11:14pm
I'm also a naturally red head (level 6/7 or so but dark auburn in tone) and have never appreciated my red hair as much as I probably should have. I have fairly tan skin and few freckles and I love how blonde hair looks on me (when I like my hair, hate it at the moment). But Debra's colour is a masterpiece (I love it in the later seasons of Will&Grace, which made me consider going back to red maaaany times).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 1:45pm
i am pretty sure that debra uses redken shades eq....i too am a fan of her different reds she would come out with.....is the pic you posted the favorite of her reds?  it is pretty.....i have the shades eq....you can get them online....they are demi perm but more like perm....gentle on your hair and gives your hair alot of glossy shine....there is a guy that tells how to color on this site, claude is his name, and he cannot say enough about shades eq....i have the formula book that tells you how to mix any shade you could want.....looking at the pic, it looks like she has the color chili and some med red blonde.....have you seen all the different variations of red she has worn?  i loved the really vibrant she had,  but like any color of red on her....if you want me to help you out with a color let me know.  i'd be glad to help!
happy coloring
kira244 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kira244 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 3:31pm
Yes!! and thanks so much!!
Well, I have always colored my hair with perm color to cover grays to match my natural color or a bit lighter. About a year ago I started using Natural Instincts 13B Light Warm Brown -Spiced Cider. It was fine but not the pretty red color I was looking for (and it faded very fast). I was not sure if I was ready for the red commitment at the time and this was a safe color for me. Now the time has passed and I knew I was ready, so a month ago I used color fix and removed most of the color on my hair and then used Wella Color Charm Perm color in 347 Dark Auburn with >20 volume (i mixed in water to lower the volume to about 10 for deposit only). I came out just like the swatch at Sallys. But alas its not the color I want, guess I did not choose the correct red.  Yes, I love the color in the picture - what color would you call that? What color in EQ do you think it is? My natural level is 7 dark blond with gray mostly on the top.

I did not know you could get Shades EQ online. A demi color would be great!! I don't think I realy need to lift but not sure if the demi would cover the grays. I usually shop at sally's. I'd love to heard how everyone cares for thier red hair natural and colored. I love to hear about how to keep it from fading!!

Edited by kira244 - February 19 2008 at 3:33pm
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 4:19pm

I got this color once on my level 6 warm light brown hair.

I used this, believe it or not!

The best candidates for red hair are those folks with naturally warm tones already, and lighter brown hair.  L'Oreal makes some pretty reds, I think.

Hope this helps.

Rebekah

Edited by Rebekah - February 19 2008 at 4:22pm
Check out My Hobby Shop!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5372710

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 4:54pm
i used color charm the first time i colored my hair!  i started with the tan blonde (which is reddish) and then used the dark auburn like you....what i would do if i were you, is go to sally's with a photo of debra's hair and hold swatches up to it.....the dark auburn is to dark and does not have the coppery color.....color charm has some new red browns that are gorgeous.....now, if you used shades eq, i would say to use the chili color....it is BEAUTIFUL and would match her color.....i used my color chart for shades eq to hold up....let me know if i can be of more help....you will probably have to use a color remover (which is no big deal) to take out the auburn to be able to achieve the coppery tones of this color.  let me know what way you are going to go.....red hair is exciting!  oh ya, i use sulphate free shampoo and redken color protect conditioner.....another thing you can do is to put a clear gloss over your colored hair to seal the color in better. 
happy coloring
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 9:20pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 10:47am
hey rebekahSmile....i go to the redken site alot...there is this one forum that people ask questions.....that is my favorite place to go on their site....you learn alot....i had read the thread you posted awhile back, it is full of good stuff....i am looking forward to what kira does. 
happy coloring
kira244 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kira244 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 6:43pm
I haven't had a chance to go by Sally's this work week (so busy couldn't even take lunch, that's another story). SO - I am going tomorrow. I printed the picture but it's dark and odd looking so I am going to look for more red hair pics I like and print those also.

What's your take on Wella perm. color? I only used it that one time and it seemed ok, no damage and the color faded a little bit but with red it's expected. I don't shampoo everyday, I condition wash most of the time and shampoo when needed. Also is it ok to highlight color treated hair - red colored? Let's say I color and then highlight, I have seen this done in a salon (ages ago I worked as a receptionist).  I know I need to do a strand test before doing my whole head. But no hurting in asking if anyone has done this.

Next question Smile (yes I ask a lot of questions) has anyone used perm. color and the next month used the same/similar color in demi to help fading and then the following month used perm. color and continue on like this? I only use perm. color on the roots but thought if I used a demi I could comb through and help with fading. This might not work if the hair has also been highlighted.  I did see you said to use a clear gloss to help lock in the color and slow fading - this sounds good too.

Thanks!!!
Kira
kira244 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kira244 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 6:45pm
Rebekah,
Thanks for the link and wow you got that from using a blonde color. Love the red!! I know it wasn't what you were going for was it.

Kira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 7:15pm
hey kira....busy week at work huh?  well the weekend is here and i hope you have a good one....i have used wella color charm alot....i always had really good results with it.....there is this color, light copper, it is a level 6 and it is beautiful!  yes, you sure can use a demi to refresh your length or use the perm dye and mix in shampoo and distribute through your hair and leave it on for 6-7 minutes and that will also refresh your color....make sure you are not using shampoo and conditioner that has protein in it as that will make your hair fade faster....weird but true...protein is good for your hair and you should use protein before you color to help protect your hair and have it take more evenly but using it in shampoo and conditioner makes for fading....a stylist told me that it makes the hair strand swell and releases color.....ok, now on to other things....yes you can highlight colored hair....you would apply bleach to do this....loreal o'real blanc makes the most beautiful highlights.....alot of stylists use that kind of bleach....when you have to touch up the places that you highlighted you can either kind of gather up and pin it out of the way (i've done that before) or ask in at sally's what the best way to do that is......now, sally's sells this stuff called clairol radience, it comes in colors and in clear....if you want to put a gloss on your colored hair put the clear on....it is not as good as shades eq.  feria makes this conditioner that you can buy at sally's that is a color sealer too.  it makes your hair glossy and seals your color in after each shampoo....i highly reccomend that feria conditioner.  forgot about that or would have told you earlier.  ok, did i cover everything?  why not find a pic of debra messing (there was one of her at the sag awards that was in people magazine) and her hair looked gorgeous!! i don't think you will get a good print off the computer.....that copper color in color charm is pretty close to what she has going on in that pic.  are you going to remove the auburn first?
happy coloring
kira244 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kira244 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 1:54pm

I went to Sally's yesterday and got Color Fix, Wella Color Charm liquid  (have the cream developer) in 544/6RG Light Copper, Clairol Radiance Clear and  Infuser. Also for day-to-day care I got Ion color defense protective gloss, Ion color defense shampoo (to use once a week), Feria color moisturizing treatment (once a week also). I will continue to use my fav Wen for everyother day.

I used the Color fix and removed a lot of the Dark Auburn, but might have used a seconed box and did the process twice. I have a thick hair and the one box was just enough for one application. Then I conditioned and dried my hair.

For the color I mixed it this way: color 1 part, developer 1.5 parts and water .5 parts. I figure this makes it a 15 volume developer - I used 20 volume developer with the addition of the water it would make it 15 volume. I used a plastic tablespoon for measuring. Processed my roots for 15 minutes.

Then for my comb through I mixed : 1 part color to 1 part developer and 1 part water (this would make the developer at 10 volume). Applied this to all my hair and processed an addtional 20 minutes. Rinsed and conditioned. After drying I see my roots are a bit lighter, but only to me, I would have to point this out to others. I am sure the ends will fade and the roots will match the ends. But I still have some what of a natural depth of color. At this point I am so happy with the color!! For the roots in the future I may have to mix a natural blond in with the Copper for gray, but I will wait and see next time I color.

I waited until today to do the clear gloss, I am going to shampoo and then use the Clairol Radiance clear. I have been thinking and next time I am at Sally's I am going to get some Radiance in 6R Red Blonde to mix with the clear to help with fading as time goes by.

To be honest I LOVE LOVE LOVE this red!!!!!
Kira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 2:13pm
oh wow!!!  i am sooo happy for you!!!  this is great....doesn't it feel wonderful when it turns out good?  i have made 15% developer before by mixing 10 and 20v and have made 25%v by mixing 20v and 30v......hey, don't wash your hair for at least 72 hrs if you can.....reason being is that it won't fade as bad if you wait that long....then apply the glosser to your dry hair......good idea about the red clarience.......wish i could see your hair.....right now i have ion level 8 blonde on a test strand....i did a test strand with 20v and it did nothing even on my roots.....when i touched up my temples the other day i used the ion blonde and it turned out the most beautiful shade of red....all shimmery....if the 30 v doesn't work i am thinking of getting a color remover and a lighter shade of blonde....looks like my hair is going to remain red, which is what i want....i just want the shimmer factor.....kira i am so glad you got your debra hairClap
happy coloring
kira244 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kira244 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 2:22pm
Thanks for all your help. Ok I will wait for the shampoo. I will take a pic and post soon, but today I did gardening today and look like you know what warmed over. (i did wear a hat to protect the new color, lol) I really do love this color, its sad and I know it will fade some - hair color always does after the first week, at least for me.

I hope you can find your color soon, its so frustrating I know!! And once you find it its always  a fight to keep it it seems.
Kira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 2:29pm
i've been lucky in not having the hair fading....next time you color you could put that red protien stuff on your hair then color....i did that before and it really did well......sounds like you got all fixed up with products too..... i am waiting for this one strand that i used 30v on to dry so i can see what it did.....i am not unhappy with my color now,  it was just when i saw how shimmery my temples were it got me to thinking.....you know how that goes!  have a great day and enjoy your hair!
happy coloring

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2008 at 5:22pm
hey kira!  how goes the red hair?  i went ahead and put 09GB shades eq on all my hair....i like it alot....what it did was just give my hair a nice sheen and a few of the grays i had missed when i did my touch up, i can no longer see.....so i am happy happy.....have you had compliments on your new hue?
happy coloring
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 2:34pm
No the red wasn't what I was going for but I have a lot of natural warmth in my hair, so I bet I could get a great red color.  I may change this color someday.  Sort of stuck on the blonde for now though. 

Rebekah
Check out My Hobby Shop!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5372710
kira244 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kira244 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 6:06pm

Yes! Co-workers and friends have said they like my new color. I think it suits my pale skin and gray-blue eyes (wish I had green eyes but oh well). It makes my eyes much more blue. I washed today with shampoo (that said, I do conditioner washes just about every day) and some of the brightness has left (not that anyone could notice but yep I notice everything, lol), but its still a great color. I have naturaly corse wavy just barely shoulder length hair and the Ion color sealer is great, it makes my hair so soft.  I am going to use the clear radiance this weekend, as again work has seemed to crawl into my free time this week and I haven't time to do it today. I realy like the Feria conditioner, it makes my hair so silky! Thanks so much for the recomendation!!

I am glad your color worked out. Where do you get your EQ? Are you just covering grays only?  I am studying my roots, and think that as gray as I have become I just might have to add a bit of dark blonde into the red color next time. I will look into the red color filler you mentioned too. It's to funny how I am never completely satisfied. Then again playing with my hair has always been a thing I have loved to do!!

Edited by kira244 - February 28 2008 at 6:07pm
Kira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 11:54am
i have the same type of hair you do...thick and curly, wavy....i bet that color looks great with your coloring....probably makes your skin look creamy....i got my shades eq at the professional store....i had a friend (who moved)  and she had a licence, so i went in and bought up....and i don't mean maybe.  i still have like 15 bottles of shades and the processing lotion plus the crystal clear.....my colors range in the copper family....copper and blonde...one shade is that chili shade i mentioned....you can mix these colors and come up with any color....i have the book that has the formulas and the colors and info on the product......i am never satisfied with my color either.....i got myself in trouble with using bleach to get the "perfect color"  but now i am smarter....my hair is just now shoulder length.....had to get a hair cut and boy, did i get a haircut...that was in july...i hated having short hair....it is getting to where i am liking it now.  there is this stuff called "gray magic"  you get it in at sally's....you mix it in with your haircolor....i am suprised that wella color didn't cover all your grays....they must be a bit resistant....there are tricks you can do to cover those.....i would start with the gray magic....do you want some gold highlights with your copper?  or do you want just straight copper?  i went yesterday and got myself some feria....i had bought a bunch of stuff at the pro store,  i went through that and after telling you about it, it reminded myself how good it is.....i am glad you like it....i wonder why some (like us) cannot seem to get that "perfect color"?  we are probably perfectionists.....you can get shades off of ebay....i know i am subject jumping but i keep getting inturrupted by the phone....if you wanted to try shades i could tell you how to use them...e me back when you can....let me know how the radiance worked for ya.
happy coloring
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic