Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Color oops, protein filler... or both?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Luvbug6315 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvbug6315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Color oops, protein filler... or both?
    Posted: February 21 2008 at 1:58pm
I am new to the forum and have been looking at several of the different forums today(very insightful).

I have been coloring my own hair for about a year and a half now. I have seriously dark brown hair and have been using a hi-lift brown- a boxed Feria color called "downtown brown", (I now know that Feria is not the best color to be using). The last time I used the Feria it left a grey tinge to my hair and I was freaking out about it, but it dissapeared after a few days/washes. I decided I wasn't going to use that brand anymore since it seemed everytime I dyed my hair it turned out a different color. I really have noticed that it has become more of a blonde rather than a "light brown" and decided I was going to go a shade or so darker to make it look more natural. I used a different brand haircolor and the results were much better. I had a nice even brown color again (it was a little darker than I wanted, but I figured it worked).  Well the color has washed away and I am left with the blonde color again (from the previous dye's of feria) and my mega dark roots(I have been trying not to color).

I have long hair which reaches just below the bottom of my bra and I have noticed that it seems to be somewhat drier than I would like it to be, SO my questions are.... should I use color oops to get the color back to it's lightest natural color(I don't want it to turn orange), is color oops harmful to hair(will it dry it out more if i use), or should i use a protein filler to strenghthen and mend my hair before the next hair dye, or should I do both? I honestly had no idea such things existed so i'm not really sure if they are right for me or not, but it sounds like my hair might benefit from them.  

Thank you!
lovetocolor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2008 at 4:33pm
you know you could try a demi permanent color which would be much more gentle on your hair.  it deposits color with no lifting.  you can use a filler with the demi also which will help your hair in a couple of different ways....make it stronger and make the color nice and even.  one thing about deposit only color is that you might want to go a shade lighter than your target color as i have found that they go on a bit darker.  there are several different kinds of demi's at sally's.....hope this helps.  oh and are you using a leave in conditioner?  that really does help, also sometimes i put deep conditioner on my hair and leave it for like 4-5 hrs. 
happy coloring
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 7:18am
Yeah, I agree, you don't need Color Oops or Colorfix.  You might use those if, say, you wanted to go from brown to blonde and needed to lift the darker color out first, but that's not the direction you wanted to go.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvbug6315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 8:43am

Thank you both so much. I really didn't know what color oops was used for as I have just been reading about it on here. So I will go for the protien filler.

Lovetocolor- I really haven't been using a leave in conditioner, I do use a heat protectant before styling wich makes my hair feel softer. perhaps I will go for a leave in as well. Do you know any good brands for deep conditioning?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 10:06am
for deep conditioning go to sally's and get loreal's nature therapy...it comes in a yellow tub with a green lid on it....it is a really good deep conditioner....for a leave in (which i really think anyone with colored hair needs)  i would try something from joico....you'd have to get that at a salon or a cosmotology school....in fact i have found that the cosmotology schools carry all the best stuff....tons of it....i use redken smooth down for my leave in....i have curly, wavy hair.....ask either a stylist at the salon or someone at the beauty college what would be best for a leave in....let us know how your hair turns out!!!yes
happy coloring

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 10:10am
oh ya luvbug,  they have a brown protein filler at sally's that will help your hair take the brown....one time when i went too light with my hair (i am a naural redhead)  i put the red protein filler on my hair and it did really good. 
happy coloring

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvbug6315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 11:30am
Oh great. I will try some of those. I just looked online at the sallys shop, and realized that we have one right in town (which I never realized before) so i will be stopping in to try some of the products. Their prices online seem very reasonable so i'm hoping it's the same in the store. Thanks Again, I'll let you know what happens after the treatments and such.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2008 at 1:00pm
oh yes, they are very very reasonable....if you get a sally's card, they are like 5.00 you will save even more....when i first got my card and got my hair stuff, even with  the 5.00 cost of the card, i still saved .87....it is worth it....have fun in there!  can't wait to hear how it all comes out.
happy coloring

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvbug6315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2008 at 8:30am
Love to color-

I bought loreal's nature therapy from Sally's(I wanted to buy everything there) on Sat. and tried it out and it is ah-mazing. Thanks for the tip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2008 at 11:25am
you are welcome....i like when people reccomend things to me....hate to wast money!!  now, did you get a color?   and if you did, have you put it on yet?  or are you getting your hair in better condition before you color?  sorry about all the questions....i can't help myself.
happy coloring

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvbug6315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 1:13pm
nope, Haven't colored it or used the protien filler yet. I need to badly though.. I've been trying to let it grow a little more this time before I did the touch up to the roots and the rest. Also, I was hoping to find out some products to use on it to make it feel better first. Not sure how much longer I can hold out though....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 1:29pm
listen,  there is a product called bonacure rescue, they also have the shampoo and cond...called bonacure....it is for damaged hair...schwartzkoph is the maker.....do you have a cosmotology college around where you live?  they carry the bonacure line.  when my hair was fried this really helped my hair alot.  i also got the spray moisture and kept that on my hair.  the beauty colleges/schools carry top of the line products.  schwartzkoph is a top of the line brand and for good reason....i hope you can get it....it really will help your hair feel better and maybe undo some damage....let me know.
happy coloring

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 4:53pm
you can also try redken extreme line of products....that will help your hair a great deal.....go to a beauty college or a redken salon and get that extreme line....it will help.
happy coloring

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvbug6315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 7:37am
Loves to color- Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to look around for those sometime. I don't believe I have a cosmotology college nearby Angry That would be cool if i did.... or a shoping probem waiting to happen.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2008 at 11:37am

do you have a target?  reason i am asking is they carry the redken line in the ones they have here in wichita kansas.....

happy coloring

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvbug6315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 7:24am
Loves to Color: I just dyed it yesterday usig the protein filler, then got 2" cut off(the ends were bad). It is feeling and looking mighty good. The hairdreser said my hair is in good shape and kept saying how nice it was, so i guess it's not as bad as i thought! BUt i do color it and use a blow dryer and flat iron (or curling iron) on it daily or close to daily, so I wanted to use some products to keep it feling good. It feels sooooo much better after the deep conditioning and the cut. I think I'll wait on those other products for now, and continue using the dep conditioner, shampoo and conditioner forcolor treated hair, my heat protectant, and the new Joico K-pak leave in conditioner Ijust purchased (your suggestion). Thank you for all he advise and  suggestions.

Edited by Luvbug6315 - March 02 2008 at 7:25am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvbug6315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 7:26am
Oh and yes, I do have a Target.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 8:01am
oh luvbug you are welcome....that k pac should make your day....i am sitting here with level 9 neutral blonde with gray magic in my hair....i bought 2 boxes of color oops extra strength yesterday, put it in my hair and it did nothing!!  i think because of the shades eq...so i put a bleach cap on and lightened it.....i need something that is going to cover the grays and i couldn't seem to get the shades to do that....hope i don't end up with some kind of disaster on my hands.....thanks for listening....oh ya and that shopping remark you made a couple of entries ago was funny....
happy coloring

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvbug6315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 5:51am
Oh no! I hope that your coloring came out beautiful! I hate it when your hair doesn't do what you want it to.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 11:44am
whew,  i got lucky and it turned out really well....it is a golden red and didn't fall out so i am happy.....thanks for your e....i have had my share of disasters and it can ruin a good year, depending on how bad it was and if you had to get a little trim trim......all is well that ends well....let me iknow how you like that kpac....talk to you later.
happy coloring
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic