Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

color oops - need some advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
littlekitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlekitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: color oops - need some advice
    Posted: February 27 2008 at 2:28pm
Hi all,

I'm new here and have a question. I recently used a Loreal drugstore hair color that turned my normally golden brown hair a coppery red color. I would love to go back to my normal shade. I've heard good things about color oops and am wondering if it will work for me. Has anyone out there used color oops (or Color Fix, another color removing product)? If so, were you happy with the results? My main concern is that it will turn my hair even more red. Thanks a lot!
kitty
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2008 at 8:56am
It sounds like the dye you used lightened your natural hair a little (the peroxide in it) to get it to a redder shade.  If you want to go darker, I would not use color oops or colorfix.  They are peroxide and will lift the color out, but you will end up with your now lightened shade, (probably a bit orangy) not your natural color.  I would just go over it with a brown dye. 

Get a brown dye a shade or two lighter than you want to end up with (your hair will absorb a lot because it is more porous now and it will come out darker), and one with a green base to be sure you cancel out the red.  I know, green sounds scary, but if you don't get a green base, your hair will stay reddish.  You can't know what base is in drugstore color, you will have to either go to a beauty supply shop to buy dye and 10 volume developer - the base color is written on this dye- or call the company that makes the drugstore dye you want to use and ask them which one has a green base, there should be a phone number on the box).
Always test strand!
Good luck!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic