Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Least Trusted Profession...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Least Trusted Profession...
    Posted: February 27 2008 at 4:37pm
      Most people would say car salesmen, politicians, lawyers, mechanics, etc. Well, after years of experience and keen observation, I vote for hair stylists. Let me say up-front that I KNOW that some ethical, talented cosmetologists are out there, including those who post at HB. If you have one such as that, stay with that person for life! LOL
      I'm not talking about the incompetent, llike the woman who *shaved* the bottom inch of my then 10 yr. old DD's hair when I reluctantly took her for a pixie. (At least her boo boo was in the back, where DD didn't have to look.) Those about whom I'm referring are those with an agenda contrary to the client's. Now, my dear friend Mary (44) is a non-hair professional who has worked at five different salons. She had the most thick, brilliant dyed brown hair, that many gals would kill to have. *NO ONE* would have ever disputed the fact that her slightly wavy locks were glorious. Yet, as she told me, *every* one of the dozens of stylists (all female, oddly) that she worked with wanted to lay scissors to her hair.
     Mary had told me many times that she was never cutting her hair, b/c its care was very easy, and she and her fiance loved it long. In fact, not long ago, she remarked that all the clients came out looking the same, shoulder length with choppy layers. And she wanted no part of that.
     Well, several months after she related that, the gals at her main salon wore her down and she relented. Helping her along were friends and family members, including her DD. Again, all females! Envy, perhaps. That cut was over a year ago, and she was determined to grow it all out again. I suggested that if she needed a trim, *I* would do it. But the lady who cut her hair the first time nagged her about coloring, and *trimmed* it again. Mary can't say no! Needless to say, the second chop was about 2" shorter than the first, with hacked layers to boot! After half a year of bragging to me how it was growing!!
     I mentioned to her that this was the reason that my wife NEVER sets foot in a salon anymore. She relied, "Y'know, one of my clients (non-hair, remember) had hair as long as mine was (TB), and I after I finished my service, she said she might as well get a 2" trim while she was there. She walked out with shoulder blade, layered hair, just like (Mary's)!"
     The following week, I saw this lovely woman Helen who used to be my barber. She was working at a new Mall salon, and she asked me to mention her to my family. I relayed my distrust of salons in general, told her this story, and her jaw dropped. "That wasn't your friend here an hour ago, was it?" I said no, and she proceeded to horrify me with a story about this younger lady who had just left her premesis. She had entered Helen's salon with waist-length, gorgeous blonde hair. Helen was excited and couldn't wait to trim her locks, but it was the next stylist's turn. Anyway, Helen distinctly heard the woman say "Just a trim". Well, this cutter with a horrid punk cut herself made the first snip at mid-back. She then asked said client, "Right here, OK?" Luckily, the woman said that it was all right. When the cut was finished, Helen asked her colleague, "What if she said NO?" She had no answer. Helen said the poor lady's tresses were ruined, and she (Helen) was sick seeing it happen.
     Anyway, the happy news now is that Mary's hair has been growing nicely for more than a half year now, and Helen's amazing long hair (Yes, she too has  a springy waterfall of hair!) has stayed intact. YES, b/c of watching that very fiasco. *She* herself had been thinking of a "tiny trim" by that very same hacker, no less! Confused
     Well, I've thought about posting this story for a while, but I waited until I felt less emotional. It's nice to get my thoughts off my chest. I could fill my night just relaying wretched hairdresser stories, but these will suffice. Best to all, and happy growing, Bob Big%20smile

Edited by Bob S - March 03 2008 at 3:45pm
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 12:47pm
Everywhere I go, I hear stories similar to those.  Even strangers in stores will comment on my hair and then mention that they or someone they know got their hair chopped against their will.  It's sad....
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2008 at 1:08pm
That is sad.  Maybe some of it is envy, maybe some of it is stylists who cut their own and everyone else's hair so often they don't see why length would be valued.  They seem to view it as a white canvas, the only purpose of which is to paint on and nothing more when its long.  (They as in the people who don't respect other's wishes when they say 'just a trim').

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 3:50pm
     Yes, Susan, the most charitable explanation for ALL of the stylists wanting to sink scissors into such phenomenal hair is utter lack of appreciation for the enormous time and effort that it took to achieve it. But I do know that most women would have killed to trade hair with her. Blessings, Bob Smile
LexLuv101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LexLuv101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 11:53am
I agree. This is why I won't go to a salon. I had all this typed out  but it didn't go through (grrrr) I've had the same thing happen to me. I'll tell them by inch how much I want cut, and even show with my fingers, yet they always take off too many inches. I won't let anyone touch my hair but me.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 9:39pm
I hear salon horror stories all the time.  They almost all go something like, "I went to a salon for just a little trim, but the stylist talked me into cutting off all my hair, and now I really regret it."
30isthenewblack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 30isthenewblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 7:53am

I don't understand why hairdressers have such poor communication skills. I went to the hairdresser for the first time when I was 14. My mum went shopping and left me in the hands of this woman. I had never cut or coloured my hair and wanted a fashionable bob. She talked me or bullied me into a short hair style where it was shaved at the back and longest hair was 5 cms when pulled straight. Everyone thought I was a boy and I was depressed for a whole year.

I do not trust hairdressers at all. You can sit them down, talk to them for ten minutes about what you want, they can show you how much hair they are going to cut off and in two seconds can cut off a year's growth. I tell hairdressers that I am trying to grow my hair and I am growing the layers out. Unfortunately, this translates to I'm going to cut her layers off to even it up which happened quite recently and has happened to me before. I was lucky that I didn't lose more length.

As I said in my introductory post, I am never going to let a hairdresser cut my hair again. Every time I start getting a bit of length, some over ambitious, over zealous hairdresser tries to sabotage me. That's it, I'm done. My mother will happily trim my hair for me every three months.
www.30isthenewblack.com
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2008 at 9:55am
I have wondered from some of the stories that I've heard if there is more bullying by hairdressers in the uk (and maybe also Australia?)?  I have heard that you can't shop in beauty supply shops (at least in the uk) without a license, so that limits the public's ability to do-it-yourself because the publicly available products don't give you a lot of info that you could use to make a good decision. I could see how this may make a percentage of beauticians who happen to be of the more controlling nature get a god complex.  Do you think this is true?

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 30isthenewblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 7:59am
I thought bad communication by hairdressers was a universal problem. I can only speak from my experience in Australia but I do find that a lot of hairdressers are arrogant and have a God complex. I don't mind suggestions but forcing an opinion down your throat is a different thing altogether. I do find this attitude strange considering that hairdressing is an industry where repeat business and word of mouth recommendations are very important.

Edited by 30isthenewblack - May 15 2008 at 8:14am
www.30isthenewblack.com
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by 30isthenewblack 30isthenewblack wrote:

I thought bad communication by hairdressers was a universal problem. I can only speak from my experience in Australia but I do find that a lot of hairdressers are arrogant and have a God complex. I don't mind suggestions but forcing an opinion down your throat is a different thing altogether. I do find this attitude strange considering that hairdressing is an industry where repeat business and word of mouth recommendations are very important.

When the sheeple have no self-confidence they get sheared.  Baaaaah.

This situation will end only when people stop allowing themselves to be abused.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 30isthenewblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 10:01pm

Haha ... I've been sheared before and it's not a nice feeling. It is proof however that my hair does grow Smile I think there is a need for hairdressers to be taught good communication skills and develop good listening skills and there is a need for better customer service in the haircare industry.

People need to speak up and tell hairdressers they are not happy instead of walking away and going to another salon. That might help them in the future but it doesn't help the next poor sap who sits in the chair. Forums like this of course are helpful where people can give referrals for hairdressers.

I do think if you just want to get trims, it's best to do it yourself or a trusted friend but if you want a style cut, then unfortunately, you are leaving your hair in the hands of a 'professional' which is very scary!
www.30isthenewblack.com
cwa14n3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwa14n3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 8:52pm
It seems everyone wants control and power today. I rode my bike to work and a red Subaru forester, driven by a short haired blonde, woman nearly ran me into the ditch, while she looked at her cell phone. After I recovered, I discussed the situation with another bicyclist. She agreed, it is a power thing. Angry, frustrated people resent my bicycle and my long hair!. They pay $4.00 and more for gas and they are angry at my bicycle and my braid.. I peddle, I sweat and they feel resentment, because they are unhappy with their life, their job, and themselves. I peddle in the rain, in the cold, to save some dollars and they hate me. Yet they call themselves "green" , burn tons of fuelin their big houses and SUVs, they cut their hair off short to please their barber and the hate me! I like my waist length braid, men like it, and why do the global warming crowd think it is their duty to tell me to cut it off??? Their husbands compliment my hair and they are angry at me!!! Get a life.. Look in the mirror... Unhappy??? Too fat??? Get a plan..Walk .. Run.. jog. Put down the cookies and junk food. Want your husband to pay attention to you??? Speak intelligently!! He will ask for your opinion and listen to you... Women have power over men ... Until they get lazy and stupid and throw it all away. When a man is staring gah gah at you and waits on every word you say.. And is willing to to do whatever you ask or say.. And you stomp on his dreams and desires.. Who should you be angry at? Him for being infatuated with you?? Or you for blowing him off.. And then he pursues another woman that listens to him and decides to be a woman for him?? That arrogant attitude and short man-doo has serious costs.  When he decides too much is too much, don't blame the other woman who says she appreciates a hard working man who brings home a decent living wage, working 60 hours a week to put a roof over your your head. loves your children, coaches their soccer, and baseball team,  gets up in the middle of the night when they are sick and knows all the teachers by name and face. For that man.. You step forward and be a woman for him. You both win. If you won't.. There are plenty of smart woman who will eagerly take what you were stupid enough to let slip by you. are you woman enough to keep a man??  I am keeping my hair long, and demanding he respect me while I respect him, am not worried. If you are.. Then you need to stop being a child...Men do not want another child to take care of. They want a woman. Last night at 6:30 when my husband came home, looking grubby with clothes dirty and sticking, I sent him to the shower first,  gave him  a hot dinner, sent the kids to bed and enjoyed being a woman. Give me a real hot, sweaty, muscular man who likes a woman over any whiny, sensitive wimp any day. I am worth it!! Even tired and worn out, his muscular arms, chest and waist felt great!!!
Signed.. A simple woman who likes being a woman and loved!!! I pity you woman who listen to the TV gurus. Get a man! It is a wonderful feeling!!!

Just Me
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 4:39pm
     Hey, CWA! I think there may be some truth in what you say.  Your anger is understandable, but I've found that many people with cellphones are menaces to *everyone* while driving.
     Sounds as if yesterday's near accident was icing on the cake for you. Yes, there are women who are jealous of you, I'm sure, but for non life-threatening situations, it's best to smile and flick your hair at this type. Blessings, Bob Big%20smile 

Edited by Bob S - May 24 2008 at 4:41pm
Lengthygoal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2008 at 8:18am
Oh this is what I am terrified of!! I'm about to go off to college and have been growing my hair out for the past 2 years. I love having my long hair back its about 2 inches past my bra strap and doing really well. I've been going to the same hairdreser for my entire life and trust no one else to even touch my hair. She knows I'm growing my hair out and only "dusts" the ends that have splits and thins it about 2-3 times a year. If I don't get it thinned a bit I can't get a wide toothed comb through it!! I don't want to risk going to some one else and have something like those tragedies happen.

tani-lai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tani-lai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2008 at 9:57am
Stories like these really terrify me.  I have been pretty lucky so far, but I am so afraid every time I go in for a trim...Actually, I tried going the last year and half without.  My hair splits pretty easy at the bottom, though, and while it grew pretty well, the ends looked so ragged that I was starting to hate it and was actually thinking about cutting it all off.  Unhappy   After trimming a bit off (a lot, really--just over an inch), it looks and feels much better, and I love it again.  I'm really afraid to get my next trim, though...what if that is the horror story one?  

31"!!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 7:44am
Just do Feye's method, it works like a charm. You can get a trusted friend to help you if you are nervous about doing it alone.  Your hair is long enough, and that way you don't have to stress about what might or might not happen at a salon.
http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/

tani-lai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tani-lai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 8:40am
Susan, I've seen that link before, and have thought about it.  However, unlike the picture, my hair is very straight--so if I don't get it perfectly even, it would definitely show!   Your hair looks pretty straight (and really gorgeous!)--have you tried it? 

31"!!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 7:52am
Thanks for the compliment!  Yep, every time I trim my hair I use this method, usually the U shape or straight across.  I have done it at least 20 times now.  I don't usually cut off a lot, most of my trims are 1/4 inch, but on occasion I will do 1/2 inch or 1 inch.  I have a friend who used it to cut off 6 inches (she's not the long hair fan I am!), it also worked well for her. 

I'd suggest having a trusted friend there with you to check your ends and trim anything you find too uneven, but as long as you get your main cut straight across and are careful about not moving your hair in the scrunchy when you bring it around to the front to cut it, it should work well.  (Use a really tight scrunchy).  As a general rule, cut off much less than you want cut so you have some breathing room for any mistakes. 

I know the first time is scary, but it really is an ingeniously easy method, I forever thank Feye for it!

Edited by Susan W - July 16 2008 at 7:54am
tani-lai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tani-lai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 9:38am
Okay, thanks!  I will take a deep breath and give it a try, probably around the first of August--that's when I'd be getting a trim anyway.  :)

31"!!
Lengthygoal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lengthygoal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2008 at 1:37pm
I have bought some good shears and last night I "seeked and destoyed" my split ends. I'm not sure that I got them all but I'm waiting for my best friend to come visit so she can help me do an actual trim.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic