Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reddish hair everytime i color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mmacphe101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmacphe101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reddish hair everytime i color
    Posted: March 01 2008 at 6:43am
For years, every time I color, no matter what color I use, my hair color fades and turns this awful orange/reddish color within the first 10 days. My natural color is dark ash blonde, often called "dishwater blonde." It doesn't matter if I use ash tones and my stylist has even taken to adding a pure gray concentrate to the ash color to prevent this from happening. I use violet shampoo, have a water filter on my shower head, and avoid washing every day and blow drying my hair. The orange color makes me look years older and sick. People are always asking if I'm tired. I have  a lot of gray hairs (40%) and really don't want to let it go gray. I've even tried to do it at home with Natural Instincts Brass Free. It is a great color but only stayed for 2 weeks or so. Not even close to the 28 shampoos promised. An ideas? Is there anything I'm not doing that I should. 
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2008 at 10:37pm
To keep my color fresh I use some type of toner product.  I like Igora Mousse.  I use it once a week.  It helps keep the color fresh.    Hope this helps.

Rebekah
Check out My Hobby Shop!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5372710
PerfectBrunette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2008 at 11:55pm
It makes sense that you would have orange undertones with natural dark blonde hair. I have the same color so I know what you're talking about. If you use a permanent haircolor, it will remove all the ashy tones from your hair and leave the orange pigment. But then, it should deposit its own color in your hair shaft and this should not fade so soon. One guess is that maybe you are trying to dye it a color that is too light without bleaching first. Are you trying to go lighter? Ash toners are meant to counteract slight undertones...they do not counteract hair pigment that needs to be removed due to insufficient lightening. Maybe I could help you figure out what is going wrong if you give me more details. What color are you typically using? Is it permanent, demi, semi? What color are you trying to acheive?
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2008 at 7:18am
The fact that you say you get orange no matter what color you use leads me to think that it is iron in your water turning your hair orange, not a dye problem.  Orange would me more of a dye problem if it kept appearing after certain colors, but take for example if you go lighter blonde, once you go light enough that all your hair is yellow, the orange can't appear again because all of your hair has been lifted past that point.  If it does, something else is putting the orange on.

Having a shower filter is probably not helping with the iron.  Try using a vinegar rinse after you shower.  I warn you this may remove some darker dyes, but if you go lighter blonde it shouldn't harm that.  Just use 1Tbsp. of any kind of vinegar in one cup water and pour it over your head last, after rinsing out your conditioner.  Using a clarifying shampoo (which also tend to be acid) will help remove any iron buildup your wearing, but again, it is likely to lighten darker dyes, and you don't want to make a habit of using it (its also very drying).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmacphe101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2008 at 9:44am
The color I am trying to get is dishwater blonde, my natural color. It is somewhere in-between dark blonde and light brown. I ALWAYS use ash. I have been using clairol brass free in dark blonde. I may try the light brown. If my hair gets too light, regardless of the tone, I look washed out.
The thing is that it looks great for about a week and then, sure enough, the orangey color comes again. I also use a toning shampoo, as I said. I am thinking of changing to Clairol Perfect 10 (supposedly less damaging but still perm) or Gray busters if I can find the right color. The thingis that Dark Ash Blonde seems to be so risky a color that some lines don't even try it. It's just missing. The other thing is that some brands it looks like light brown and for some the color swatch looks medium blonde. It's a really difficult color to get and maintain.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2008 at 11:14pm
I agree that dark blonde can be tricky. If you already have natural dishwater blonde hair, I am a bit confused as to why you are dying it at all? Have you died it a color you didn't like and now you are trying to get back to your original color? What color is your hair now? Without knowing more, I'd say that you should avoid permanent and go for demis. Demi-permanents will not lift your natural pigment so they should not go too warm. Going with Natural Instincts seems like the right idea. But it only lasted two weeks? This is a bit unusual. I wonder if you are following the directions exactly. Are you shampooing every day? Do you use a colorsafe shamppoo and conditioner?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmacphe101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 1:15pm
As I mention in my initial post, I am very gray. This is the reason for the coloring. I also shampoo every other day at most and use a shampoo for color-treated hair mixed with one of the purple shampoos to reduce brassiness. I also have a filter on my shower. I AM using a demi. It does not cover the grea and it does not last more than two weeks. I have decided, after doing research, to try Preference by Loreal in Light Ash Brown. I did a test and it seemed to come out the right color. In addition, most of the posts and reviews indicate that it lasts the longest. We'll see.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 9:02pm
Sorry I missed the gray hair part of your post. In that case, demis aren't going to cover your grey too well. Good luck with the L'oreal preference. I hope you get the color you want.
lovetocolor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 11:23am
hi, did you get your color?  it can be so frustrating.....did the loreal do the trick?
happy coloring

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmacphe101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 7:34pm
I am doing it tomorrow. Good news, though. I found a hair products store called Impressions and they carry Clairol Brass Busters (which I thought was discontinued) and professional bottles of Preference, Excellence, etc. It lists the base colors. The one I chose (Preference ash) is just blue, not blue-violet. I have come to distrust blue-violet base as the color violet is blue AND RED. I have come to think that violet (which in many products is their version of ash) has too much red to counteract the reddish tones in hair. Maybe this is why dark blonde and light brown tends to turn? I mean blue is blue but violet is most definitely blue and red. No wonder it turns.
lovetocolor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 7:56pm
oh how wonderful....sounds like you ran into what we have here in the states called "sally's"....i love that store....thanks for the blue advice....someone just wrote me on the post i made about doing a friends hair that pulls red, i was going to put a green based dye on it and was scared to death....she said the same thing you did....blue!  i have not messed with ash colors before....i sure do appriciate the info....post how your hair turns out....i hope you get just what you want!
happy coloring

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmacphe101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 8:13pm
Let me know how it turns out. And look at your posting site. I answered there and the key, I think, is to look at her wardrobe. What colors look good on her? For me, it's BLUE BLUE BLue. Green no. So no green.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 7:25am
You are right, it doesn't matter if a color calls itself ash.  In blonde shades ash tends to mean violet and that does nothing but lift hair to orange if its too dark (the violet is meant to counter yellow, but that doesn't help if you're not to yellow yet).  I would have thought you'd see that right away though, not days later, that's why I thought it might be coming from iron in your water despite your shower filter.  Either way, I hope it works out!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic