Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

light blonde to dark blonde

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
kasie_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasie_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: light blonde to dark blonde
    Posted: March 02 2008 at 9:13pm

Hi everyone

Ive been lurking these forusm for a while now and have always managed to find the answers I need by looking at your posts and replies, so first of all thank you for that, you’ve saved me many times from making huge mistakes with my hair Tongue

Now I have a questions I haven’t been able to find an answer to so im hoping that once again you all can help me.

I have been progressively lightening my hair for a few months now, getting more and more foils each time until about two weeks ago I had an all over bleach. My hair is now a light ashy blonde and although at first I quite liked it, ive realised after looking at a few photos that it really doesn’t suit me.

I’d like to change it to a darker blonde and im just wondering if this can be achieved by just putting a dark blonde toner over it, and if so, can I just do that myself or will I have to go back to the hairdressers?

Thanks in advance for all of your help and advise.

PerfectBrunette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 11:55pm
Hmm... You could do it yourself but...Your hair is very porous from all the bleach, complicating matters a bit. I would probably just go to a salon since all over single process color shouldn't be too expensive. If you are going to do it yourself, why not try a demi-permanent in a shade lighter than you think you want. If that doesn't work out, you could bite the bullet and go to the salon. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasie_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 11:59pm
Thanks for that.

My hair is actually in a lot better condition than i thought it would be at this point. ive been hitting it with a lot of treatments and things and its almost back to being how it was before bleaching.

So do you think a toner is the way to go or would a demi-permanent be a better option?

Edited by kasie_girl - March 04 2008 at 12:00am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 12:13pm
A demi-permanent is a better option when going darker than your current haircolor in general. It is less damaging. The whole point of peroxide and ammonia in the permanent hair color formulas is to lighten your hair two levels before depositing the color. Why unnecessarily damage your hair if you don't need to go lighter?

Thing is, demi-permanents often come out darker than the swatches. So if you want a dark blonde, I wouldn't go any darker than a level 8  or medium blonde to start. You might try natural instiincts or L'oreal colorspa demi-permanents. They say they wash out in 28 shampoos but they are more permanent when going a darker shade. If you prefer products from Sallys, just be aware that most come out darker than you'd expect so be careful. Do a strand test. It never hurts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasie_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 4:59pm
oh thank you so much. you've help me a great deal. ill give that a try tomorrow night and let you know how i go.

Big%20smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 5:20pm
Which one will you try? Good luck! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasie_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 9:28pm
Im thinking of going for the L'oreal demi in a dark blonde. First of all though im going to have a look at the Goldwell Colour Mousses to see if the colour i want is achievable. Do you thinks thats a good idea or is the demi a better solution?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2008 at 11:32pm
I think the demi would be fine. I've used Loreal's colorspa but have not used the Goldwell so I can't comment on it. I would have to say go with a medium or even light blonde though with the colorspa. You can always go darker if it's not dark enough. Or do a strand test before using the dark blonde. I would hate to see you end up darker than you wish to be.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasie_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 12:04am

Yeah i think i will go with the colour spa, and i wil just go a medium dark first. Do you think that theres a chance of my hair going green?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 9:30pm
Not really. Just don't use anything with an ash base. If you are worried about it, go with a golden blonde shade to get more warmth. Natural instincts sunflower (medium golden blonde) might be a good one to try first. I think if you go with Palomino, dark neutral blonde by L'oreal colorspa, it will be too dark. However, you could try leaving it on for about half the normal amount of time. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasie_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 11:01pm
ok ill give Sunflower a try tongiht and ill let you know tomorrow how it goes.

thanks once again for all of your help on this. i couldnt have done it without you......and i definately would have chosen an ash colour Tongue

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 12:16pm
How did it go? I'm very curious!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasie_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 5:47pm

Ok, so…. I went into the shop where ive always bought my hair products from in the past and told the guy there what I wanted to do and asked him to recommend me a good demi. We had a look through the colour chart and I told him what I was after. Anyway to cut a long and boring story short he talked me into buying a level 8 permi colour with a bottle of peroxide which has a big 20 on the front. He told me to mix the colour with the peroxide at a 1:1 ratio, put it on my roots for about 10 – 15 mins and then put it through the rest of my hair for a further 20 minutes. He said that since I have about 7mm of regrowth coming through I need to lift that first. I told him that I was really more interested in just getting one of the in-the-box semis but because im a complete pushover, and because he was very convincing, I ended up being talked into buying this.

Anyway, I haven’t put it in my hair yet and I was thinking about it last night and im really worried about this. Firstly, im concerned about trying to do this myself as im not a hairdresser, nor do I have eyes in the back of my head so im worried about missing certain bits that I cant see,  and im worried about there being two different colours in my hair, like maybe my roots will be one colour and the rest will be darker.  Also, isn’t using peroxide on my hair what I should be avoiding?

So, because I trust your advice more than I trust the guy in the shop right now, I thought I’d wait and see what you though before I went ahead and did it. I don’t know whether im better off just getting one of the colours we talked about yesterday from the shop and putting that through, like a DIU semi/demi or whether do use the professional stuff. Im not too concerned about my roots being slightly darker than the rest of my hair, if I used one of the at home demi’s I think it wouldn’t only be 1 level of difference anyway.

What do you think? Im sorry that we’re back to this….

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 5:53pm
Ooh. I wouldn't do it. You don't need any permanent hair color. I don't think that guy knows as much as he thinks. Was he a hairdresser? Has he dyed his hair? Often? I would take it back and make them at least give you store credit. Then go get a demi from the Colorspa or Natural Instincts line in medium blonde. It will actually lift your roots slightly believe it or not because Colorspa and Natural Instincts has a small amount of peroxide. If you use that permanent color on your roots, I can almost guarantee you will get hot roots unless your natural color is very light. Plus you will incur more damage to your hair. Why do it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasie_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2008 at 8:12pm
Thats exactly what i needed to hear Perfect Brunette. Thank you once again for your wonderful advice. You're a star Star
Ill go and grab a demi from the shops this arvo and put that in instead.
Ill let you know tomorrow how i go.

fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 7:54pm
Hey Kasie; you are getting great advice from Perfect. I just wanted to add that you may want to just foil in some darker pieces with that semi colour rather than dumping it all on your head! Why not see what the colour will look like on SOME pieces, rather than make a mistake on all of your head. You sound very blonde. Most very blonde men/women go balistic when they go dark --- it's always too dark. Put the semi on just a few pieces around your crown and see how it looks. Just a thought!
Love clip-ins and tape!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2008 at 12:39am
Not a bad idea if you know how to do foil highlights (er umm lowlights I mean). Good luck Kasie! How about strand testing whatever you use first. This will help you get the time right (leave it on longer for darker) or determine if its just not the exact color you want. It much easier to tweak the color before it goes on your whole head. I do strand tests even with demipermanent color, and even though I know how to remove colors I don't like with Color Oops, just to save my hair any unnecessary damage should I dislike the color. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasie_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 7:52pm
hi guys

Well i did it, and it looks fantastic. The colour is exactly what i had in mind and it turned out really well. I had a couple of girlfriends helping me with the back so that i didnt miss anything and as i said, it turned out perfect.

I got a Naturla Instincts colour, im not sure what it was called but the number was 8.0

Thanks again for all of your wonderful advice. You were a great help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 8:42pm
Was it sunflower? If so, I used the same color this weekend! I am glad you like your hair!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasie_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2008 at 7:03pm

Yes i think it was sunflower now that you mention it.

thanks once again PB, you were a great help.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic