Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Redken color + color gloss questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nikkilici0us View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkilici0us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redken color + color gloss questions
    Posted: March 03 2008 at 11:01am

I am looking for a gloss for my hair to darken it by one or two shades. I was looking into Redken Shades EQ - but I have a few questions.

Can you not buy redken color at salon distributor stores? I haven't seen it in any of the areas around here. Do they only sell to salons?

Also.. can anyone reccommend a good gloss?

Thanks in advance:)
Nikki
lovetocolor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 12:34pm
ok, shades eq (the gloss) is sold in stores where you have to be a licenced cosmotologist....you can however order it on ebay....what shade do you have now?  what level?  if i know that i can tell you what to order....i have a ton of shades....had a friend who has moved but before she did i went and bought up.....their clear gloss is great and so are the colors....you must use their processing solution too....it is worth it....let me know your level and shade of hair...i have the redken shades eq book.
happy coloring
nikkilici0us View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkilici0us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 4:10pm
oh, i'm a cosmetology student and my mom has her license so actually getting the product isn't a big thing.. its more like finding it! I just don't know which supply places to check out :)

I am currently a level 6ish golden brown.. and i am planning on getting a light partial highlight and glossing over it to maybe a level 4.5 ish -lol :) I say 4.5 because I like the darkness but i still want my hair to be brown. Maybe a chocolatey color or deep golden brown. :)
Nikki

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 5:18pm
hey there....i would just look in the phone book and call the places to find who has it....sally's and stores like that do not have it.....lucky lucky girl....i love going in pro stores!!  had a friend who moved and i would go with her....sad to see her go.....i will check my book out and look for some colors....i will get back to you tomorrow...busy tonight...taxes...ick.
happy coloring

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2008 at 5:33am
ok here is a color, rich cappuccino-1oz 06G St.Tropez and 1oz 03NB Mocha Java and then there is Tobacco which is 1 1/2 oz. St. Tropez and 1/2 oz 0WG Mango.....hope this helps. 
happy coloring
rave1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rave1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 3:33pm
ClapLove shades EQ! I'm always searching e bay for avail colors!! I did quite a bit of damage to my hair-determined to have light brown(mine is dark with brown bronze perm haircolor) so I bleached!!! So unlike me!! I used clairol professional-a great product I'm sure in the right hands!-in light brown--then put in caramel highlights. Ugly! My hair lacked any shine and texture suffered.  I had read about the demi shades eq so ordered  a toffee color--my hair improved right away-more shine and morepliable. It did take a little darker than I'd like-due to I guess the porosity of my hair after battering it!! I've been using the Metalex conditioner weekly to improve the basic condition and am ready for more shades EQ! I ordered the  crystal clear also--do you know the proper use of this? Do you have any informative literature for sale for the Redken line--would love to have a color formulas book! My 'dream' color is  to add some caramel and or gold highlights or overlay to my med/dark hair. Any ideas? I'm going to stay with this demi so any advise appreciated!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 3:46pm
hey there...i ordered the formula book off of ebay.....the clear is for glossing your hair, for putting over a color for a seal and also to dilute formulas so they don't go too dark.....now, shades do not lift color so if you want highlights you must lighten the areas you want.....i will look in my book tomorrow and see what i can find for you...a toffee, they have that by mixing 2 different colors....will post tomorrow....they colors are great but they do take darker so i am glad you got the clear to cut with. 
happy coloring
rave1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rave1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 2:10pm
Thanks Love To Color!! Will watch for new post!! Guess I'll ck EBay for charts in near future

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 5:03pm
hi rave....listen, there is a color in shades called toffee....what i would do is mix half toffee, half clear and equal amounts processing solution....it is a golden color....sounds like you would like it....the colors are just sooo pretty but do tend to take dark and it is hard to remove from your hair....do a strand test to see if you need to dilute it more or less to your liking....if there is anything else i can help you with concerning the shades i would be glad to help....let me know what you do.
happy coloring
Sallycubed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallycubed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 9:34am
Hi everyone -- Does colour glossing do ANY damage to your hair? My hair was quite damaged from former colouring. I hadn't coloured at all since early Feb '07 and had about 9 inches of my natural colour (which now includes a fair bit of gray), then it was a hideous reddish tone for about another 10 inches (combination of henna and dye) and then about 9 more inches of black (former dye). What a mess, but I was coping.

I went to a Redken-based salon the other day to cut off as much of the damaged parts as I could without losing a whole lot of length (it's now a little shorter than bra-strap length). The stylist convinced me to do what she said was just a glossing but actually included some colour to even out the tones.

It looks great, and I'd like to keep doing it every few months, as it fades out and as I grow out the last of the damaged/coloured bits. But I'm very worried that it is actually potentially damaging. So here are my questions:

1. Is it at all damaging?
2. Could I do it myself at home, if I can find the right colour on eBay? (The stylist charged me $60. gulp)
3. Do you guys think there is another line (e.g., Aveda) that is actually better?

Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 12:42pm
if you can find a glosser that does not use any type of developer it will not damage your hair further.....shades can cause damage if your hair is not in good shape even though it has a 3% developer....look into clairol natural insticts....will give hair shine without damage.
happy coloring
Sallycubed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallycubed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 1:47pm
Thanks, lovetocolor. Would you suggest Natural Instincts "Shine Happy" or "Brass Free"? My hair is cool-neutral and I definitely do not want to bring out any red, so the BF looks good. At the same time, I want something that contains no ammonia and no peroxide, if at all possible, so the SH looks good. If you've got any thoughs, since you seem very knowledgeable, about which would be easiest for home use and healthiest for previously damaged and highly porous hair, I'd be grateful.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2008 at 7:59pm
i have heard that shine happy dries out your hair....what i would do is get a semi perm color and add shine that way....it could put a little color boost in and shine it up at the same time....go i shade lighter than you would normally go as they are deposit only colors. 
happy coloring
Stylist101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stylist101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2008 at 8:44am
Hey everyone..

i am a new stylist and i am working with redken for the first time. I have a client that came in and has a level 6 base color (rich brown) and wants just a few suddle highlightS to kinda lighten her up and kinda blend some gray because she 100%. i lightened her with 20vol BD and got her to a level 8. my target is somewhere in between a 7-8 just because shes a difficult client and doesnt want anything that looks like blonde and nothing that looks orange..so i went in with equal parts 08N and 06WG and it looked horrible..dark and blah... i sent her home with some clairifing shampoo and told her to come back...ANY IDEAS ON HOW I CAN GET HER TO HER TARGET HIGHLIGHT USING SHADES..IM LOOKING FOR A BEAUTIFUL LEVEL 7 THATS NOT TOO DARK AND SHINES GOLDEN...PLEASE HELP....
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2008 at 3:49pm

I would think the 8N was a little too intense, a 7G or the 8 on its own with the 6WG, would have been enough to give your client the medium golden blonde hi lights, like a sutule caramel colour. A suggestion would be to pre lighten one shade with a bleach shampoo,  then re apply the 7G.

HTH, Karen
karen sanderson
megntoml View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megntoml Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 3:58pm
Hi

I can't remember! am I supposed to shampoo after the redken gloss ED or just rinse with water???
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic