Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

bad highlights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
michellelee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michellelee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bad highlights
    Posted: March 07 2008 at 7:09pm
Confused Hi everyone recently a friend of mine convinced me to get highlights on my dark hair .i thought well ok i could go for some just a little bit lighter than my hair  thin like highlights . So off to the salon i go and come out with the most hidious platnium lighlights and chunky ones too !To put it mildly it looks like crap. I hate to go and complain especailly cause i used to babysit the girl that did the service and she just got out of beaty school and i don't want to hurt her feelings or make a fuss .Makes it worse that i paid 60.00 for this botch job.My hair still has perm color on it could i use colorfix on it all and recolor ? would that fix it ? thanks
Be the person your dog thinks you are
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2008 at 7:31pm
Sorry to hear about the botched job! I know how you feel about complaining! LOl! If it's the platinum-ness of the highlights that really bother you, you could do a colour wash over them to tone them down. Get a semi-demi permanent like Natural Instincts (in neutral or medium blonde) and leave it on your hair (or just the highlights) for the full-time. Color remover won't fix light highlights -- it removes colour. Make sure to not over process your hair too much more. It has been bleached.
Love clip-ins and tape!
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2008 at 4:26am
Usually platinum highlights are much more desired over yellow blonde highlights. If you wanted them, say a light brown, they would need to be bleach then dyed after. Did you specify you wanted them a certain colour? And that you wanted thin highlights? She may have genuinely thought that's what you wanted. People mean different things when they ask for just "highlights".

Let us know what you do.
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 5:05pm
The hairstylist should have asked you how light you wanted your hi-lites. She therefor was in the wrong. My advise would to go back to the salon and ask her to tone your hi-lites a little.

Karen
karen sanderson
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2008 at 7:05pm
Poor you! She must have left them in too long. She should have known that platinum hi-lights weren't the best option... try thte color wash that was suggested. And if all else fails, dye over it. :) Good luck!
~* Bambi Lee *~
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2008 at 11:11am
Especially since the girl is a new to hair coloring you should go back and be honest.  Maybe she thinks she did a great job and you are happy.  Let her know you had a darker color in mind.  She can do a tint back on those highlights and add a darker dye to blend them in better. 

Hope this helps.

Rebekah
Check out My Hobby Shop!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5372710

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michellelee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2008 at 6:32pm
well nothing has been done to my hair as of yet . i went back to the salon and they won't do a thing about it and were so rude .i realize the girl is new. I also have to wonder that if she is'nt capable of doing something as simple of highlights then how did she get threw school in the first place. Her inability to do a good job is not my problem .It is hers and the salon that employs her .My hair is so fried its not funny most of my hair is platnum blond.(Major chunky highlights ) I need to put a pic up here nothing can explain just how bad this really is. I'm really afraid to do anything to it for fear it will all break off .The chuncky blonde is all stretchy when wet and dry and breaks off a little at a time when i try to fix it or even to comb it . Everyone that has seen it so far can't believe how bad a job that was done. Even the lady at sally's could'nt believe how my hair looked and the shape its in .I may shave my head bald again .This is quite horrible. 
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2008 at 10:28am
This is terrible way to treat a client. I always say to my client how blonde they want their hi-lites, and explain to them if they feel it is still too light, I can tone it down a little, but to be treated the way you have is not acceptable.

If you are afraid to do anything with your hair, just keep applying deep conditioning treatments to your hair to help repair it a little, If its beyond repair then I m afraid the only thing you can do is to get it cut and If I were you send the salon that messed up your hair the bill.
karen sanderson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michellelee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2008 at 12:29pm
Hi again, yeah i think the conditioning treatments may be the only way to go .If i cut out the highlights it will leave huge chumks of my hair cut out and i'll look like a burn victim. She look very large sections of my hair when she highlighted them. It does'nt even look like highlights but more like just big bleach blotches all over my head.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michellelee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 11:44am
Cry after my bad highlighting experience i went to sallys .The lady there gave me color remover ,protien filler and a light golden brown color . I came home did all of it and ended up with tan colored hair.Super ugly ! I went back and showed her my hair .She gave me more protien filler in golden brown and a darker golden brown so back home i go to do the process .As the result i have very dark almost black hair with slight blonde streaks. Alot of my hair is breaking off .Some of it has broke off to about 1/2 inch in length and hard to get to lie down .I get a ton of hair breaking off in my comb each time i comb it and oh it feels so nasty. I'm using deep conditioning treatments and leave in conditioner but it is so damaged that nothing seems to stop it . Is there anything i can do to stop further breakage or am i just screwed at this piont ? Any idea's would be great .I'm clueless at this piont and just disgusted.
PerfectBrunette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 9:23pm
Gosh, I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. At this point, I would just keep deep conditioning, get a good trim and leave it alone for awhile. Having split or very dry ends can lead to more breakage so the good trim is key. Try wearing your hair back in a ponytail with a cute headband or something. And NEVER listen to anyone who works at Sally's again. They don't know what they're doing 9 times out of 10.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic