Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHair does (i repeat) NOT have a gender.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Isla Q. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 8:43am
Originally posted by KathyAnn KathyAnn wrote:

Atheists can't understand why people need to believe in something like God, religion, or a larger power

That's a gross generalization.
I'm an atheist myself and I am fully aware that lots of people feel the need to believe in a higher power.

I can imagine religion can be very comforting in darker times, and very festive in times of joy. It's also an extremely social thing, it can bring people together (and unfortunately also causes friction between some people).

Having said that, I think good points were made by all, and I do mean ALL, of you. And I really can't think of a nicer bunch of people on the web.

That doesn't mean we all have to agree here, though.
KathyAnn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 10:12am
*I was speaking in general terms Isla.*

I didn't mean Atheists can't understand religion I meant that they are not believers in God themselves.
Elissa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 10:15am
(snip)

ah, never mind.
[/url]

Isla Q. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 10:34am
Originally posted by KathyAnn KathyAnn wrote:

*I was speaking in general terms Isla.*

I didn't mean Atheists can't understand religion I meant that they are not believers in God themselves.

Okay, good. I'm glad that's cleared up.
I didn't understand you making that statement because, judging by everything else you said, you seem like a very open-minded person.
Kintaro View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 11:43am
Religion can be used for many things, the most main 2 things is cultural normalization and as an emotional crutch. (i.e. "Oh, God Bless you" and turning around and not giving a crap about the person they say it to)

Spirituality is something else, it is when you can generate something from nothing, order in chaos, or chaos in order. It is the smile, the thumbs-up to the cross-country hiker, it is the drive that leads to actions that benefit people when they actually need it, it's the helping hand that extends to not only helps others but helps themselves.

I know Uzi's core feelings are in the realm of spirituality. Not in some book, or some pre-conceived idea. And I know most people who tend to say God Bless say it like it means good-bye. So do you think it's not normal to feel offended ? It's like cutting you off, saying discussing, conversing is over.

And I know people who just follow a *faith* since they've been herded, and unwilling to think that breaking the mold could be beneficial to their mind and spirit. Some of them are on this forum (well, not that hard to expect since xians are the majority).

There's an expression in french..... la charité bien-ordonnée commence par soi-même..... if you can't help yourself spiritually first, don't try to extend your hand out to me because it could be just to slap me in the face.

As for the topic, double hijacked. I'm headed to the arcade :P
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
KathyAnn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 12:11pm
Elissa, you didn't have to edit what you wrote to Kintaro. Your criticisms of him were not at all unfair. He IS at times very rude, condescending to others and a know-it-all, as are many young people when they are 18. They think they have got it all figured out. I was the same way.

Kintaro is a very bright young guy, he probably has a very high I.Q.. It is the very bright young people who sometimes are the most rude, because they know they are smarter than others.

I have a high I.Q. myself. I have had to learn over the years to temper my opinions, that I don't have all the answers, even if I am bright.
One of the things I have tried to learn to do is not be condescending to those who have differing views from me. ( For example even though I am not a church goer, I don't refer to people in organized religion as having a herd mentality just because they go to a church or temple and believe in organized religion. I have found that people who are devout believers and go to church on a regular basis can often be very individualistic people in their own right and good people in other ways as well).

But Kintaro's attitudes and condescending attitude to people that he sees as "conformists" are typical of a kid his age. I was the same way.
18 year old's always believe they have all the answers. It just comes with the territory. Especially if they are bright young people like Kintaro probably is.
KathyAnn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 12:34pm
*Kintaro.

*You know you are very bright.
But you don't have all the answers, none of us do. You need more than intelligence to get along in the world. You need to respect others. That's called maturity.
The adult world you will have to function in within a few years isn't like the arcade you frequent.

*...You accuse the majoritiy of being conformists and narrow minded; "xians" as you describe them.

Maybe by steroetyping them you are a bit of a "reverse conformist"yourself. You, in that respect, are a stereotype.
* In your own way you don't seem to me to be all that tolerant or unbigoted yourself.
Elissa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 12:45pm
Thanks Kathy Ann--

I'm not at all unaware of the things you've pointed out (having a rather high IQ, and being over eighteen, myself!).

I just changed my mind re: stating the obvious. There are so many better things to do with my energy.

Elissa
[/url]

uzma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 1:03pm
At the risk of triple-hijacking this thread (or perhaps bringing it back to the original idea).....

Quote But Kintaro's condescending attitude to people that he sees as "conformists" are typical of a kid his age."

Some people are able to see through social pretensions and insecurities, regardless of age.
Some people have high ideals that are literally and metaphorically slashed as they realize what is going on in the world around them.

Some will fall into conformity with the generality of things and accept the status quo without further questioning.
Others will question, test and rip apart every proposition of alleged truth/sanity/the right thing etc and accept nothing less than that which their minds and spirits recognize as the indisputable Truth.
We all tread a path in life, and this too is a path. One of great sensitivity, not necessarily to the feelings of others, but rather sensitivity to the nature of/search for truth.

Through rejection, some are able to find the Ultimate (whatever and however It/That/He/She may be). If they are even interested. And if they are, they wield the proverbial sword.

If Kintaro is in this place, and I am not making any presumptions that he is (only he knows) than I totally understand his intolerance of anything that smacks of dogma or that assumes that he participates in a given world-view.
That would include the cultural (mis)connotation of gender in genderless areas as a means of social definition and behavioural control.

It's a thin line we walk on these boards.
We are faceless, voiceless and nameless, except on a screen, to each other.
Yet I can feel a connection with you all (and a strong kinship with Kintaro) because I am extrapolating an -albeit imaginary- person behind the web persona. Based on your individual words, thoughts, ideas.
That's a failing I can live with :-)

Where is the boundary between challenging discussion and disrespecting each other? It is in the shadows.
Lets move on.

Uzi
Uzi

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 7:43pm
Uzma, I agree. It's time that this thread be concluded.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic