Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHair does (i repeat) NOT have a gender.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Kintaro View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair does (i repeat) NOT have a gender.
    Posted: May 13 2003 at 1:34pm
Every time I hear or see someone mention feminine, I find that very sexually discriminatory. It just enhances the stereotype that every man has to have a weekly appointment with people like Brent, and barbers affiliated to crewbuzz.com

My hair is not second class to anyone else's, regardless of length, color, texture, style, or the gender of the person where the hair is sprouting from. The only way it could be viewed as second class is its current condition. I am as much a living being as anyone else on this board, I know I am treated as such, but if the posts don't reflect it, well, that's like saying you're not racist but calling all men the n-word.

So besides this post being a rant, it has 2 open questions :

What's so feminine about hair ? And if you have to fall back on terms both sexes appreciate, like beauty and youth, then why are you using feminine ?

The sooner the people that actually have long hair break their own (6th***) stigma, the sooner the rest of the world can at least understand and not make stupid remarks like "uhh, you'd look good with short hair." or "it doesn't suit you. it makes you look not-enough/too *feminine*."

(Yes, too feminine even for ladies, feminine as our B.S. society feeds us also encompasses youth (despite men enjoying youth as well) and if you look 20 with long hair but are 32, and people tell you to look your age, wouldn't you feel offended ?)

It's food for thought. Very bitter, but eat it up. It will be good for you.
--- Kixx.
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
hairalways View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2003 at 2:13pm
Kintaro _ get off it....

Your question is insane.....as if we as human beings carry around our inner opinions and desires like jackets that we can take off as soon as we realize that we are thinking irrationally. This "stigma" you consider to be ridiculous is responsible for the existance of mankind. For 1000's and 1000's of years before any of us showed up, feminine traits were used by human males as markers for good breeding, and thus the perpetration of the species. We have become quite full of ourselves in the last few centuries and are trying to shrug off instincts that we carried for many years before.

You may also want to ask...why are breasts feminine? Whay are soft curves feminine....they just are.

For the same reason a strong jawline and broad shoulders are signs of masculinity. The jawline can be obscured by long hair - short hair emphasizes it. So in essence, short hair emphasizes masculine traits, long hair does the opposite.

These are my humble rantings. they are a bit bitter too. sorry.

Jacqui

Isla Q. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2003 at 2:27pm
In today's society it's just a fact that most of the women with long hair are women, and therefore long hair is seen by some as a feminine feature. Which is so stupid considering in the past both men and women wore their hair long mostly.

Speaking as a long-haired woman: when women are asked why they like having long hair, and reply it makes them feel feminine, it does not mean they think a guy with long hair looks feminine. Feminine in this case means something along the lines of beautiful, attractive (to the opposite - or the same, whatever - sex) and pretty. It's feeling good about yourself really, all summed up into one little word.

But not all women with long hair look feminine. Just like women with short hair do not have to look masculine.
I can't speak for the people who relate to men with long hair as 'too feminine looking', because I am not one of them. If a guy looks feminine, that's usually because of his face or body, not because of his hair. Hair can increase it, but no man I've ever seen has looked feminine simply because of his hair.

Kintaro View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2003 at 2:50pm
Your question is insane.....if it takes an insane person to ask a valid question, so be it.

as if we as human beings carry around our inner opinions and desires like jackets that we can take off as soon as we realize that we are thinking irrationally.
It is normal for people to make mistakes. To willfully not correct them is a severe flaw that is correctable. As for time frame, next line.

This "stigma" you consider to be ridiculous is responsible for the existance of mankind. For 1000's and 1000's of years before any of us showed up, feminine traits were used by human males as markers for good breeding, and thus the perpetration of the species.
okay. I agree on the point that it was necessary to ensure survival. How about we take the Neolithic era as a point of time where we were sure humanity was the #1 species out there. Humans could sustain their own growth, therefore sexual markers of who has higher probabilities of scoring have been useless for about 10k years now. Besides, all you have to do is swap partners, much easier when not a nomad culture.

We have become quite full of ourselves in the last few centuries and are trying to shrug off instincts that we carried for many years before.
And is this a bad thing? There are lots of things to change. Might I remind you that it's not feminine traits that are used for breeding markers but people of that gender. Women are sometimes simply viewed as trophies even today by quite a lot of people (don't ask for a figure, but there are people like that everywhere) --- As for being full of ourselves, there are too many angles on that. We still are today, maybe not the same way, but surely in similar quantity.

You may also want to ask...why are breasts feminine? Whay are soft curves feminine....they just are.
That's just like saying why is a penis masculine. It'S on a male. Big deal. It's not like the size/texture/width matters. I have a friend (male) who can fill a B-cup , this with his natural body. He's clearly male, but do his breasts make him feminine ? No. How about a hermaphrodite, are they any less human for having both units, any more ? No. Humanity is like a chain. We are as strong as the weakest chain link. IF we treat people differently with these damn labels, screw the chain, it'll break with minimal tension.

For the same reason a strong jawline and broad shoulders are signs of masculinity. The jawline can be obscured by long hair - short hair emphasizes it. So in essence, short hair emphasizes masculine traits, long hair does the opposite

With that last paragraph alone, I see the light : You have no clue to the difference between simple genetics and flair, style...

Breasts are generally found on women. Genetics.
Men are almost exclusive to having penises. Genetics.
Men are in general taller, have broad shoulders, etc. Genetics.

Soft curves can mean anything. To me, they mean rolling in a way not to injure one's self (non-genetic). No debating against what you may portray them to be, but if my hunch is right, that also is a question of genetics.

And through genetics, we all get different units depending on what we are looking at. Smaller breasts doesn't make a person younger. The height, width and weight of a person do not make them more masculine or feminine in any way, and I dare say this on a hair forum, but a longer or wider penis does not make a man more masculine either.

So then, what do feminine and masculine refer to ? Nothing in the concrete. how about the abstract.... Just pre-conceived crap that people try to justify their decisions/choices/prejudging with.

The best thing you can do with flawed labels is throw them out. Just because some things didn'T change 1,5,10,50, or 10000 years ago, doesn't mean now ain't a good time to change that. Passivity goes nowhere.
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
Kintaro View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2003 at 3:06pm
There are two posts that made me start this thread.
One was by Lyris, mentionning the Neutrogena and Aussie products (i think it was a leave-in conditioner) that smelt very feminine. As we can see that too many people use feminine like a buzzword similar to cool, phat or groovy, I asked if she could clarify for the sexually impaired since that's unfortunately the slant of such a buzzword. Fruity, Herby, Koala-y (i know, Aussie doesn't test on animals, nothing said animal by-products o_O ), anything that could try and communicate the actual smell. It's feminine is no better than saying "something" or "i don't know".

The second was by Elissa. She said it makes her feel "feminine" . When taken care of, it is nice, pretty and good-looking, it makes her feel good. (paraphrase) Feeling good and visual beauty is something you can't say staright to my face that men can't appreciate, hell, don't want even for themselves. Not looking like trash != feminine.

I have nothing against either poster. It's just when something that has no substantial meaning which is also used as a setback to 50 % of the world becomes this banalized, the time is right to change it. And that time, starts now. I might not change the world as a whole, but the few people I am surrounded by will take a few minutes to really think about what they're saying. This isn't a matter of politically or sexually being correct, it's about being humanly correct. If it looks nice, say nice. If it smells like koalas, say it smells like Koalas. Thanks for reading.
Lyris View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2003 at 3:12pm
Good grief!! I took the hint, I apologized, I described the scent in detail on that previous post! What more is there when discussing a product composed of water and silicone?
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Kintaro View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2003 at 3:23pm
This wasn't an attack on you (nor Elissa). And yes, I know you clarified. But shouldn't it be clear to begin with ?

Still, the paint is on the wall. I'll feel much better when people get up, wake up and tell it like it is. I am no fan of double-speak. It's just a real lack of sincerity in some cases (although I agree for your post it wasn't meant with ill intentions or especially blank intentions, which are often the case with the fem/masc labels)

It's the second one that made me tip over, although i see the abuse of such labels daily, so it is not the sum of just 2 posts.
Isla Q. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2003 at 3:24pm
Just out of curiosity, are there any other men (regardless of length of hair), or women, who feel this way?
Dave?

Lyris View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2003 at 3:33pm
Okay Kintaro, we've made peace :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
uzma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2003 at 5:30pm
My hair does have a gender because I have a gender (female) and my hair is an extension of me. Hair has a gender by "association".

Men have hands. Women have hands.
You can generally tell a male hand from a female hand. Not so with hair, when viewed detached from the body.
A strand is a strand.

However.....

Hair length is not checked by gender but it's growth may be (baldness).
Higher testosterone levels mean less hair.
Higher eostrogen levels mean more hair.
Generally.
Maybe this is where "long hair is feminine" comes from.

Perhaps hair doesn't so much possess a sexuality but IS sexual?
Sexual only with reference to it's owner, however:-)
Unless you have a hair-fetish, of course!
Uzi

Lady Godiva View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2003 at 10:07pm
I think this is a very valid point. I never, never refer to long hair as feminine, unless qualified on a particular woman, but not in general. I see long hair as sexually enhancing, be it on a man or on a woman. On a man, it enhances his masculinity, and on a woman, it enhances her femininity. The reason is simple, but hairiness in general is indicative of sexual maturity, while lack of bodily/overall hair indicates sexual immaturity, as demonstrated by children. In fact, when considering total body hair, men are hairier than women, so if anything, bearing a lot of hair is a masculine, not feminine trait. Hair enhances the angularity/shape of the person, rather than smoothing it out.

Additionally, if we're talking about human practice through history, very few time periods transpired where men had short hair as the rule. Such time periods were abnormal, not common. The present, modern time is one of those times. Otherwise, long hair on both sexes has always been the norm.

Personally, I am turned off by these ads for exercise equipment, where the "buff" man suddenly appears shaven. I even see body depilatory kits for men to remove their body hair. What the heck is going on? Why is the world so fearful of hair? I'll tell you why: it's sensual! Not just sensuous, but sensual. It hearkens back to eons ago when our species focused mainly on basic survival. Lifespans were short. Life was hard. Don't waste your time on the immature. Go for the real thing. Mate, provide offspring, ensure the species survives. Who the heck wants children or a childlike appearance for this?

So in today's world, we emphasize hairless bodies, and now short hair. I really have to wonder why there is such a determined focus on youthfulness, in hairlessness, in denying maturity and adulthood. It's a bit creepy.

Jennifer Eve
Avatar: Lady Godiva by John Collier, 1898

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor
claribuzz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2003 at 10:58pm
I like it when people open up and expressed themselves like this. Well my opinion is you should wear your hair the way you want BUT remember not to offend yourselve and try not to offend others. Natural, fake in this world these two words collide ever so often
Hey Kintaro do you really have long hair ?
ARGHH
KathyAnn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2003 at 11:39pm
*Hair length in regards to masculinity and feminity is completely cultural. Long hair is no more "feminine" than short hair. The same with short hair. In Africa for centuries both men and women have had very short hair or shaved heads. Likewise at times on other continents long or short hair on men or women varied from culture to culture.

Likewise our sexuality has varied. True most people are hetrosexual but there have also always been gays, lesbians, and certainly bisexuals. Bisexual women often raised children with other women in some cultures. So much of hair fashion, clothing and even sexuality is cultural.

Hair, like other aspects of culture varies from culture to culture.
Elissa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 4:49am
I was one of the people who said my long hair makes me feel feminine (I think that's what I said--that's exactly what I meant to write.) The emphasis is on makes ME FEEL feminine.

I did not say long hair IS feminine.

I did not say that my long hair makes ME feminine (that comes from within, in my opinion).

I understand Kintaro's frustration in the face of society's misconceptions about men and long hair, but statements like mine do not promote these misconceptions. I think they may just be hitting a nerve.
Elissa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 5:01am
"When taken care of, it is nice, pretty and good-looking, it makes her feel good. "

It also makes me feel very, VERY female. That's why I said "feminine" and not "good". I meant "feminine". And since we are talking about feelings, mine, there really is no argument here.

From a personal standpoint, I happen to think that long hair on men looks very masculine, very male. I've had a boyfriend or two with long hair and I liked their look very much. I certainly don't see long hair as being feminine in and of itself. I don't believe I implied it, either.
[/url]

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 5:18am
Kintaro - It's nice how you can shove everything that separates us into a nice little "genetics" closet. Never mind that every one of those traits
are what attracts us to each other.

If I see a man with big breasts, I don't picture him as masculine.

<<>>> WHo says having 2 seperate genders and expressing their differences is a mistake? Birds do it? Most other animal species do it? I like to think we are still part of the natural world.

I would never NEVER want to be part of a world where you could not tell the difference between a man and a woman. I believe in everyone's freedom to feel and look as they wish.

In my opinion, we should hang on to our survival instincts for as long as we can.....I don't see the world going on as we know it for much longer and once this place blows and there is not much left...whoever is left will have to start over and will
need them.

Oh yeah...and stopping in the neolithic era wouldn't be good. I would maybe go back 120 years or so - no less. Many diseases weren't curable until that recent(some not until the mid 20th century) and infant deaths were high due to fevers, polio, rubella, etc.

jacqui

uzma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 6:52am
Looking at genetics in isolation (from nurture/culture/socialization):-

Female = xx chromosome

Male = xy chromosome

The “labels” and gender differences are established by Nature.

Our genes determine the gender of an embryo and also the resulting gender-biased hormones that will be “firing on all cylinders” through the organism as it develops.
Hormones drive (amongst other things) …behaviours, instincts, response to stimuli…..

The social/cultural erosion of gender differentiation can only be superficial, except in a genetic-modification scenario (oh! Are we there already?)

Lets see…the birth rate among Western Europeans is falling dramatically. Many social and industrial factors are leading to reduced sperm counts and hormone related ovarian, breast and testicular cancers are rife.
Our organs of gender differentiation are going through a challenging time!

Socially, there is a move towards androgyny, in my opinion.
Androgyny is tied into individual expression as a package sometimes and sold to the intellectual strata of society. I have seen it in Europe – I am ignorant of what goes on elsewhere in the developed world.
I conclude that we are raised to de-value, questions and sometimes fear the fullness of our primal and intrinsic male and female – ness.

Personally, I accept/respect a man with breasts on a social and emotional level. Biologically, I would not want to reproduce with him. I am repelled by female-type traits on a man. I desire and enjoy our respective differences.

In the light of the above, is the fundamental argument of this thread that Nature is not politically correct?
Nature is definitely working to a male and female prototype. Our survival as a species depends on whether we arrogantly defy Nature or allow her to flower fully.
Uzi

Kintaro View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 10:41am
Our survival as a species depends on whether we arrogantly defy Nature or allow her to flower fully

Couldn't agree more. However, we have a million inconsistencies on that in today's society. Sexual and environmental is just a beginning to that.

Claribuzz : Yes, I have strands reaching 45cm now (18 inches) I did post a pic of me before, but I forgot the exact link, or if it is even still nline due to renovations. It was a vulgar one though.

And to all : One extra reason "feminine" pisses me off is that it can be equated to doll or slave. Women are neither. At least I believe them to be neither. 120 years ago, women were repeat-a-wombs. They often had kids until they died in some cases. And you want to feel like that ? --- I'm sure you don't, but it's crime by association. "Femininity" as far as we all agree to, is linked to the female half of the species. And females were, and by some, still possibly are, viewed as sub-human. I refuse to agree to that. I also refuse to agree they are superior just because they perk up to look nicer, better, whatever.

Some are just offended in this thread because I'm attacking their personal cushion. Femininity to them is almost a life jacket, and they can't swim without it. Get over it. This thread was started to make people think, not turn off their brain and crumple back into their little ball, and posting by proxy from that isolated ball.

Do you look good today ? Yes, no, maybe? Doesn't matter, your unit will still be there tomorrow regardless if you look like a superstar or like total crap. There's always tomorrow, and the next day. Enjoy your life, not the labels you put on it.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 2:47pm
Part of living life is embracing your identity. I can't speak for all, but a part of mine lives in a place that can only be defined by me to be a feminine realm. I would not deny it. I celebrate my femininity, because to deny it is to ignore part of my soul.

I don't expect you to understand this. I also take extreme offense if you think it is something to hide behind. Au contraire friend, as professional who has to work with many chauvenists, it would be easier to dress and act less "feminine" but I am braver than that.

jacqui

uzma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 1:12am
The original assertion of this thread was that hair does not have a gender.
I agree that objectively hair is genderless.
It subjectively acquires (for want of a better word) a gender by association with a human.

In terms of styles, length, etc being defined as m or f, that changes with time and place as others here have pointed out. So the argument that long-hair on a man is feminine– and short-hair on a woman is butch is due to the acceptance of present cultural programming.
It is not an expression of truth.

On the interesting subject of a gender-infused identity, my experience is that the operating identity is also acquired.
We typically define ourselves by our experiental responses and by the responses of others to us.
Personally, my “identity” transcends gender. I did not buy the “off-the-shelf” marked-down identi-kit identity that I was handed (neither am I insinuating anyone else here did).
My soul is not m or f.
The original state before I acquired a body was neither m nor f and I will be throwing my body and associated femaleness in the dust when I leave this brief life.
Gender identification is a temporary phase.
Getting back to hair: For me, hair is a reminder that the ground-state of the soul (it's true nature) is free of idea-accretions and hence indescribably pure.
It sits in infinity and is what it is in silence.

Just my take on things.

This has been a very stimulating thread.
Thanks Kintaro

Uzi
Uzi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic