Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oily skin & adhesives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lequia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lequia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oily skin & adhesives
    Posted: March 13 2008 at 8:26am

Hey ladies..

Can you please help me find a good adhesive or adhesives for a oily skin..
I'm using endura bond now but it only last for 2 days..
So i really don't know what to use now.
"cause this seems 2 one of the strongest hold...but with me it only last 2 days and it f*cked up my lace..
I really don't want 2 use ultra hold..

Please help meEmbarrassed

sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 8:33am
well there's cool piece's Oil resistant white glue that you can purchase at www.coolpiece.com or what i do is layer mine's with Mr. C's which is water proof and put alittle ORWG on top.. i get mr. C's at beauty bean's supply which i listed the website in the newbie thread where the adhesives are listed..
Lequia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lequia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 8:36am
Thanks for the advise girl!!! Love ur avatar..
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 8:39am
your welcome and thank you
kalenjin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kalenjin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 10:57am
I use ORWG as well and also use proflex tape. i get a great hold even with going to the gym 3-4 times a week.
missmodesty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missmodesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2008 at 12:24am
maybe what you can do before you apply your adhesive is wash your face with a oil free foaming cleanser,then rub with alcohol and do your routine,
what i do is the day before my app i do a mask with queen helene mint masque which is very good for oily skin,it pull the oil out and keep your face clean and matte for days
you can buy it here
doing just that helped me and my app holds longer
Lequia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lequia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2008 at 6:02am
Thanks ladies..
missmodesty...i'll try the mask..but i always clean my face and rub with alcohol before i apply the wig...but i'll give it a try THanks!!
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2008 at 8:54am
i also exfoliate too, that helpful..
amazon1147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amazon1147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2008 at 1:21pm

sexi- what do u exfoliate with?

kalenjin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kalenjin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2008 at 1:45pm
you can use st. ives scrub, its gentle enough for my face
Senegalese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senegalese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2008 at 3:24pm

Yeah exfoliating works wonders for me too.

DonnaB63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaB63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 9:35pm
I have oily skin, too and I use ORWG and Super Tape combo.  Before the app I clean the area very well with oil-free cleanser, followed up by 91% alcohol to remove all traces of cleanser and oil.  If you find that the app adheres at first bit loosens over a couple of days, it could be something you are using on your natural hair before you braid or wrap it up.  Sometimes oily or creamy products we use on our natural hair can seep through the lace or drip down to the hairline when you sweat. This is especially true if you don't use a wig cap.  Check to make sure this is not the case.  Personally, I shave my head bald so that I don't have to worry about this type issue. 

Another issue can be the lace itself.  if you don't properly clean the lace of all adhesive and hair products, it will not stick to the adhesive.  The same is true of you apply heavy conditioners or creamy products near the lace.  They will not allow the proper adhesion and you will have to reapply often.
If you find the lace will not stick to the adhesive and your knots are slipping (shedding), this could be the problem.

Unfortunately, sometimes it's just hit or miss.  What works for others just might not work for you and you have to be patient to find the best combo for you.  Especially with the hot summer months coming up.  Any problems you are having now will be multiplied when the heat index creeps up.  A lot of people swear by Endurabond in the summer months, but you say it doesn't work that well for you. 

Good luck in your search!
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by DonnaB63 DonnaB63 wrote:

I have oily skin, too and I use ORWG and Super Tape combo.  Before the app I clean the area very well with oil-free cleanser, followed up by 91% alcohol to remove all traces of cleanser and oil.  If you find that the app adheres at first bit loosens over a couple of days, it could be something you are using on your natural hair before you braid or wrap it up.  Sometimes oily or creamy products we use on our natural hair can seep through the lace or drip down to the hairline when you sweat. This is especially true if you don't use a wig cap.  Check to make sure this is not the case.  Personally, I shave my head bald so that I don't have to worry about this type issue. 

Another issue can be the lace itself.  if you don't properly clean the lace of all adhesive and hair products, it will not stick to the adhesive.  The same is true of you apply heavy conditioners or creamy products near the lace.  They will not allow the proper adhesion and you will have to reapply often.
If you find the lace will not stick to the adhesive and your knots are slipping (shedding), this could be the problem.

Unfortunately, sometimes it's just hit or miss.  What works for others just might not work for you and you have to be patient to find the best combo for you.  Especially with the hot summer months coming up.  Any problems you are having now will be multiplied when the heat index creeps up.  A lot of people swear by Endurabond in the summer months, but you say it doesn't work that well for you. 

Good luck in your search!

excellent advice on all points and soooooooooo true especially if the lace isn't cleaned properly its always a problem..
fllwlover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fllwlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2008 at 11:01pm
ITA, I actually sweat around my hairline, which used to mess with the hold. try layering Liquid Bandage over your scalp protector & under the tape/glue.   It works for me by keeping the adhesives longer & makes cleanup a breeze....
Lequia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lequia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2008 at 2:52pm
I found the perfect adhesive for me!!
Just blueliner tape..I have it on my skin since yesterday it isn't liftin' at all..normally with endura bond it lifted already the first day..
Yesterday i used a facial scrub and i put a mask on my face..So it wouldn't be so oily..
So now i'll see what's gonna happen the next few days..
But for now i'm very happy!!
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2008 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Lequia Lequia wrote:

I found the perfect adhesive for me!!
Just blueliner tape..I have it on my skin since yesterday it isn't liftin' at all..normally with endura bond it lifted already the first day..
Yesterday i used a facial scrub and i put a mask on my face..So it wouldn't be so oily..
So now i'll see what's gonna happen the next few days..
But for now i'm very happy!!

that's great i'm happy to hear this, b/c its really trial and error..
Lequia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lequia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 1:39am
Yeah sexy it is!!
But it's now the 3rd day and it's still holding!!
So Blueliner it is for me!!Clap
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Lequia Lequia wrote:

Yeah sexy it is!!
But it's now the 3rd day and it's still holding!!
So Blueliner it is for me!!Clap

see that's the key you gotta see what works with your own body chemistry.. b/c some people think EB it the best hold but it didn't hold on me one day b/c of my body chemistry..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic