Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tracee Ellis Ross roller set style

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honey_Made View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey_Made Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tracee Ellis Ross roller set style
    Posted: March 16 2008 at 10:31pm
Hey all. I'm new to the boards, and some of you are very knowledgeable when it comes to recreating styles. I want to know how to roller set my hair to get the look that Tracee wears as 'Joan' on Girlfriends.  I'm looking to recreate something similar to these photos:

My hair texture is similar to Brooke Kerr's in this photo and the length just brushes my shoulders:

I know I need to roller set my hair, but I'm unsure of if I should use a wrap/setting lotion, what size roller I should use, and most importantly, in what direction should I part & roll my hair for the best effect. If anybody has any tips/tricks, let me know!

Thanks ladies & gents!

Edited by Honey_Made - March 16 2008 at 10:35pm
_Princess_ View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 12:47pm
Hope this helps, I got this from BHM:

1. Start with very wet hair. It is easier to roll this way and your sets will be better.

2. Use a setting lotion.

3. Keep hair very wet throughout the whole process. If the unrolled hair starts to dry before you roll it, re-mist it with water.

4. Always start at the crown and work your way down.

5. Roll in the direction that you wear your hair. If you wear a middle part, then roll on the left side of the part going down, and the do the same on the right side. The same goes for side parts. If you wear your hair off your face, then roll going back on the top, and then same on the side as if you wear rolling for a part.

6. Try to make your parts even, so that the hair will dry evenly. Use a fine toothed rat's tails comb when doing this and be sure the smooth the hair out at each section right before rollin with the fine toothed comb. This will help give you smooth tangle free curls.

7. Rollers- I prefer JetSet EZ grip rollers (available at sally's). They are a bit easier to roll with, and if you use the right size, you will have pretty curls. Some people like magnetic, (i don't), but again, it's what works for you. Use the correct size roller for your length. Short hair can use rollers up to an 1-1/4", medium from 1-1/4" - 1- 3/4" and long from 1-3/4 on up.

8. Roll under fairly tightly. You want to apply a good amount of tension so that the curls will dry smoothly and not have crinkles.

9. Once you have rolled the hair, you need to secure. With magnetic rollers, use clips, and for JetSet rollers, use pins. If you are using big rollers, secure the pin inside the roller, instead of the outside. Position the pin so that it is against the scalp, in the opposite direction if the way the hair was rolled, so that it secures the roller.

10. Sit under a hot dryer until fully dry. The amount of time will depend on your hair length and size of curls.

11. When unrolling, remove from the bottom of the head, making your way towards the top.

12. Finger style, and if you want, lightly press out your roots on the top so that it is not too full.

ETA I love Brooke Kerr's hair, wish I had that thickness

Edited by _Princess_ - March 17 2008 at 1:59pm
Honey_Made View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey_Made Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 8:03pm
Thanks! This helps.
I haven't heard of JetSet EZgrip rollers. What color are they?
_Princess_ View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 9:39pm
They look like good rollers..I gotta try them

Available%20in%207%20different%20sizes  
  green%20curler orange%20curler yellow%20curler red%20curler light%20blue%20curler dark%20blue%20curler pink%20curler
        7/8"        1 1/16"     1 1/4"   1 1/2"         1 3/4"       2 1/8"          2 1/2"

Manufacturer's website:

Here is their instructions on how to use them:

Edited by _Princess_ - March 19 2008 at 9:51pm
newtestam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newtestam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 1:21am

Cute hairstyle. I like it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic