Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is your LF experience?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NClady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NClady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is your LF experience?
    Posted: March 19 2008 at 7:47am

It’s all about you.. Please answer the questions…

Please answer the questions below to help newbies, like I become more familiar with what products that worked/didn’t work and why for you… I know that it might be a little time consuming, but it will be a BIG HELP to some of us. (I took a combination of questions that I seen posted on BHM and some of my own personal questions to ask)

Thank you for your participation.

Please note that this is each person personal experience, so there is no wrong or right answer. Some of you might have answered these questions below before in different threads, but please re-answer here)

Love you ladies….Hug

Measurements

Circumference of Head:

Forehead to Nape of Neck:
Ear to Ear Across Front Hairline: 
Ear to Ear Over Top of Head:

From Temple to Temple:
Nape of Neck:

Name of Adhesives:

Also add a detail description of your application regime (Scalp protect, do you use a wig cap, how you apply or how many layers, do you use a combination and etc.)

How long your hold last for Front and Nape:

Front:

Nape:

What's your skin type is: Oily, Dry, T-Zone Combination (oily&dry)

What State, Climate or type of Weather you live in:

Which Adhesives you find that work best in which season the Summer, Fall or Winter:

Summer:

Fall:

Winter:

What adhesives that didn’t work for you and why: 

What adhesive release do you use and why:

What adhesive release didn’t work for you and why:

If you bleached your knots what product did you used that worked:

What did you use to seal you knots that worked:

If you have dyed your lace wig, what kind of dye did you used that worked, and how many containers:

What Vendors do you like and why:

What Vendors you will never use again and why:

How many lace wigs do you own:

What is your price limit you would spend on a full lace wig:

If you ever had a wig to shed what did you use to stop it/slow it down that worked?

How often do you wash your full lace wig?

Also add any additional information:

Edited by NClady - March 19 2008 at 3:29pm
PrincessLF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessLF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 8:18am

Name of Adhesives: I have used UH, No tape, Ms. Lola's cream adhesive, ORWG, Secure, Davlyn, extenda bond tape, proflex no shine, and some other tape but I can't remember the name of it. 

Also add a detail description of your application regime (Scalp protect, do you use a wig cap, how you apply or how many layers, do you use a combination and etc.)  24 - 48 hours before applying, I rub A & D ointment on my skin.  When applying, I wash my face with soap and water, exfoliate with Neutragena exfoliate kit, 99% alcohol, followed by 2 to 3 layers of scalp protector (dry between layers).  While I'm waiting for the scalp protector to dry, I apply to the lace proflex no shine around the front perimeter, extendabond tape around the back and nape area.  If I know I'm going to sweat, I will apply one layer of a liquid adhesive let it dry then apply my unit with the tape.  If I have no plans to sweat, I do a tape only application. 

Front: From Sunday to Friday (the day I always remove my units)

Nape: I have no idea.  I only keep it applied in the nape area for two days max due to my scalp itching.

What's your skin type is: Oily, Dry, T-Zone Combination (oily&dry) Dry

What State, Climate or type of Weather you live in: Virginia, usually warm from March to December (50 - 80 degrees) December to March (20's - 75 degrees)  Very Humid in the Summer months.

Which Adhesives you find that work best in which season the Summer, Fall or Winter:  Actually, every adhesive I have used as worked in regards to the hold.  I use to have a problem with No tape turning white on me but that was because I was using too much.

What adhesives that didn’t work for you and why:  None, so far

What adhesive release do you use and why: I use lace release and if I run out, I'll use alcohol.  Why, because I started out using lace release and I like it.  I bought a gallon size bottle of it and until it runs out, I'll continue using it, then switch to just alcohol.

What adhesive release didn’t work for you and why: N/A

I attempted it once, but fabric dye stopped it from working.  I will try again really soon.

What did you use to seal you knots that worked: TDI but will be switching to the hairspray suggested by Sexi in a recent post.

If you have dyed your lace wig, what kid of dye did you used that worked, and how many containers:  I only added highlights to the hair, I didn't do a full head coloring.  I used African Pride sanzabar sand. (I think that was the color).  One box did the trick.

What Vendors do you like and why: Jacksun great quality, Rex excellent light yaki, Holly paypal and great response, Lydia, great quality and all the above have reasonable prices, in my opinion.

What Vendors you will never use again and why: Mylacefrontwig.com and CelebrityStyleWigs.  Mylacefrontwig.com because of the cap construction which is very heavy.  To their defense, I did not experience any shedding but I got a medium density wig but that sucker felt like it had extra heavy and it was heavy on my head.  CelebrityStyleWig because my curly (supposedly human hair wig) was also mixed with synthetic hair.

How many lace wigs do you own: Use to be 16 units.  I threw away my two from Mylacefrontwigs.com because I knew I would never wear them again and was having a hard time selling them.  I sold two of my units to my sister and gave her one, and just recently bought one from a BHM member so the count is now 12.

What is your price limit you would spend on a full lace wig: $200 - $250.00 max.  But even then, if I pay $250.00 it will be a 22" - 24" and I don't need that much hair. But I will pay for coloring and different textures.

If you ever had a wig to shed what did you use to stop it/slow it down that worked?  TDI knot sealer, 3 - 4 coats

How often do you wash your full lace wig?  Right after wearing it.  I switch up every week and wash it immediately after I take it off, dry it and package it up until the next time.

Also add any additional information: Not that I can think of at this time.

sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 9:56am
Also add a detail description of your application regime (Scalp protect, do you use a wig cap, how you apply or how many layers, do you use a combination and etc.)

two mity tight, sometimes Mr. C's in the front with ORWG on top of the Mr. C's.. 

5 days

Normal

cold right now..

Cold now but humid in the summer

Which Adhesives you find that work best in which season the Summer, Fall or Winter:

only difference in the seaons is summer i use everything including tapes.

UH blood clots- Spirit gum does nothing for my body chemistry.

If you have dyed your lace wig, what kid of dye did you used that worked, and how many containers:

tony zhang hair matted after 2 wears

i plead the 5th

If you ever had a wig to shed what did you use to stop it/slow it down that worked?

no

every week

Senegalese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senegalese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 3:24pm

Name of Adhesives: Endurabond (once and it ripped my skin and hair off, so i'm staying away from it unless I have to go swimming with my LF), Invisibond (doesn't do it for me if i use it alone, cuz I work out a lot), Proflex (combined with a liquid adhesive gives a good hold), Ultrahold (used it once, hated it it was all goey and didn't hold at all, I still have the whole bottle).

Also add a detail description of your application regime (Scalp protect, do you use a wig cap, how you apply or how many layers, do you use a combination and etc.) I wash my face, exfoliate, I do my hair treatment and cornrow it, clean hairline with alcohol swabs, let dry, apply 2 layers of scalp protector. I put proflex on the lace 1 layer of a liquid glue bought at missmymy.com, but I'm thinking of stopping it because I have pimples and lumps all around my hairline (here are the ingredients that the seller sent me after I requested them Acrylic adhesives, isopropanyl, ethyl acetate, heptane, tuluence some of them may be toxicDead)

Front: 6 days

Nape:  3 to 4days

What's your skin type is: Oily, Dry, T-Zone Combination (oily&dry) oily

What State, Climate or type of Weather you live in: half the time in Canada cold now humid in summer, and half in TX hot

Summer: don't know purchased my first lf in december 07

Fall: don't know purchased my first lf in december 07

Winter: Proflex+invisibond

What adhesives that didn’t work for you and why:  Endurabond too hard, Ultrahold too gooey

What adhesive release do you use and why: C-22, first one I bought and I like the smell

What adhesive release didn’t work for you and why: N/A

If you bleached your knots what product did you used that worked: Done by the vendor

What did you use to seal you knots that worked: I actually never sealed them, but I will now used the Freeze it that Sexi recommended

If you have dyed your lace wig, what kid of dye did you used that worked, and how many containers: Garnier Nutrisse, don't remember the color, 2 bottles

What Vendors do you like and why: mywigsandweaves.com but too darn expensive, missmymy.com, and from now on I'll use the chinese vendors like all the ladies on this board... I am still upset for the price I paid for my first unit

What Vendors you will never use again and why:n/a

How many lace wigs do you own:2

What is your price limit you would spend on a full lace wig: well my 1st unit cost $1500 (yeah i know stupid me Thumbs%20Down) but now my limit will be $500

If you ever had a wig to shed what did you use to stop it/slow it down that worked? n/a

How often do you wash your full lace wig? every weekend when i remove it

Also add any additional information: none

Edited by Senegalese - March 19 2008 at 3:30pm
Crimsonsugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crimsonsugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 10:22pm

Hi I have one straight 22 in Indian Remy stock lf 2 mos. now. Bought it on Ebay Afrotreasures.  My first, looked lovely when I got it and has had 2 bleach baths 2-3 trims to control tangles.  Still looks pretty when washed

My specs

I tried Dove poo & conditioner to start (not impressed)
Now I use Sally's Ion products - shampoo, conditioner & heat protectant. (love them) I wash 1x a week or every 2 weeks

Adhesives I tried
Spirit gum (1 day hold alone/2 days with Hollister's)
Hollisters spray adhesive (holds 1 day alone 2 w/sp. gum)
Mighty tight (too messy & only held a 1/2 day or less)
Coolpiece cream adhesive (will try Friday)
TGI know sealer (?) Shedding is minimal 2 strands a day
Nexus liquid bandaid for skin protectant. No coloring, and no bleaching. 

I clean my skin (t zone)  & my wig lace (mirror or acetone) pin back baby hairs
I prep my skin with liquid bandaid, then adhesive 5min. between each layer.  Not more than 3 layers.
No wig cap 2 hot, I just put it over braids. I am in the South.

NClady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NClady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 6:39am

Bumping for more responses...thanks.....

phillycutee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillycutee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 10:37am

Measurements

Circumference of Head: 22.0

Forehead to Nape of Neck: 14.5
Ear to Ear Across Front Hairline:  11.5
Ear to Ear Over Top of Head: 11.5

From Temple to Temple: 14.5
Nape of Neck: 5.0

Name of Adhesives:

currenlty in love with ORWG, but i also like invisibond

Favorite tapes are PROFLEX-NO SHINE & PROFLEX BLUE MINI TABS

1. WASH face and back of neck with Teatree oil foaming face wash(from the Bodyshop).

2.Wipe down perimeter of my head AND the lace with 91% alcohol 2X's
3.apply Top gaurd skin prep 2X's letting dry in between each.
4. apply proflex no-shine in the front, one peice right above each eye (at my forehead) and then a pice that i cut in half right in the center of my forhead.
5.Apply a brown wig capalmost completly covering the tape that was applyed. this keeps my wig cap from sliding back on me.
6.apply a VERY thin layer of ORWG just to the front perimeter, going over the bit of tape that is sticking out from the wig cap. let dry 8 minutes. repeat once more.
7.apply profex mini blue tabs to the perimeter of the lace wig, from ear to ear around the back. No tape on the front of the lace.
8. place wig on head, press front hair line down firmly with back of comb.
9.Put a thin layer of ORWG on my nape, let dry, and apply the rest of the wig taking tape tabs off one by one so that i can get precision palcemnt in the back and on the sides.
10.tie perimeter down overnite.

Front:4-6 days

Nape: 5-7 days, for some reason i find i do not generally have a problem with my nape as many ladies do

I HAVE COMBO SKIN THAT IS DRY AROUND MY EYBROWS AND NOSE , OILY ON MY FOREHEAD AND CHIN, and BOTH OILY AND DRY ON MY CHEEKS. (apparently i need to do something about my skin lol)

Philly Pa, We experience ALL 4 seasons, cold in the winter, hot as heck in the summer

Summer: havent yet worn it in the summer yet, this will be intresting

Fall: orwg

Winter: orwg

MASTIX P SPIRIT GUM: the first time it didnt work because i didnt know how to use it. the second time i used it correctly and it DID stick BUT it was VERY Crusty and hard

Ultra hold: worked, with lots of glue boogers, and its deadly
Secure: Worked great the first time i used it but after that I could only get a 1 day hold

lace release and 99% alcohol see to work the best for me in getting the wigg off my head. i also use lace release on the lace itself when I clean the adhesive off of the lace. the soft adhesives come off of the lace Very easily using my "balled up saran wrap" technique

mirror slide is not a favorite of mine

i have TRYED to bleach my knots twice and all ive managed to do is create a bald spot, and turn my roots orange! i used 20 volume creme and a blon lightning powder

KRYLON clear acrylic coating, I got it from the craft store for $7

If you have dyed your lace wig, what kind of dye did you used that worked, and how many containers:

I dyed my unit soft black using L'OREAL EXCELLENCE CREME 1 pack, the results were a 1b

I have only ordered from Kevin Freedeelee and jacksun. I prefer Jack

frredeelee becuase the Hair was to easy to tangle

2 in my posession, but i am waiting on 2 more customs that should be here in a few weeks

$300 including shipping and western union fee

not yet had this problem

1-2 times per week

i never do an app in the daytime, i always do them at nite because i think it is REALLY important to let it cure for several hours before you do anyhting to it.

NClady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NClady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 11:34am

Phillycutee---------I use the Bodyshop Tea Tree products also, and not because I'm an Independent Consultant for The Bodyshop at Home (hint..hint..if you need some products let me know)Wink....But Tea Tree is  good for the skin and hair.

loveangie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveangie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 12:26pm
22 1/2 inch head

Name of Adhesives:

Endurabond was first. I should have listened, it is not for newbies. I thought I was special and could do it so I bought a supersized bottle. I wasn't and I couldn't. It's still crusted up in my first LF. I hate it.

Vapon NoTape together with Blue Liner Tape Good Hold but I hate when the tape gets gummy. Makes me feel dirty. Vapon gave me a small but painful irritated area at the nape so that was the end of that.

Proflex Tape Sticks good for 2 days.

CoolPiece Cream Adhesive I Ilke it with no skin barrier in the front only.

CoolPiece ORWG Same as above

Supertape With skin barrier in the along the nape, I can finally do a high ponytail. It actually sticks and does not get gummy at all.

Mastix P Spirit Gum meh

I wash my hair and wrap it under a wig cap. I use two layers of skin barrier on my nape area on up to right in front of my ears. I place the Supertape on the inner edge of the LF nape around to the tabs. I use no skin barrier on my front hairline. I use the Coolpiece cream adhesive and spread it really thinly with my finger and let it dry clear. I don't know if it helps, but I do this step twice.

Front: 1-2 days. I'm strict with my skin regimen and I like to be able to lift up the lace and clean under it which is why I don't like the strongest hold here.

Nape: 7 days (only because I remove it)

What's your skin type is: Oily, Dry, T-Zone Combination (oily&dry) Normal

Northeastern climate changes

Winter: The White adhesive or glue and Supertape combo as above. Only started LF this winter so we'll see!

See Above^^^

For the most part, I use Cinema Secrets Brush Cleaner. I've been using it for years to clean my makeup brushes but just discovered that it is also used by makeup artists on sets to clean adhesive out of ventilated lace goods.
I have found that it cleans the lace really well. Contains no alcohol, and is not oily. Smells like Vanilla. Drys immediately. Won't clean spirit gum, but it cleans all that gummy crap out. I put it in a spray bottle and I use a natural bristle brush.

I spray it on my hairline and nape and it releases the lace. Whatever's left, I gently brush out with the spray and the brush. Works for me.

Endurabond high priced acetone and didn't even work that well.

C-22 High priced Goo Gone. Greasy and a lot of work to get out of the lace.

If you bleached your knots what product did you used that worked: My bleached knots look a mess. No comment.

TDI Fast Trak Hair Knot & Tape tab Sealer

I lightened up a 1b using 1 container Feria Color #5.54 Rich Mahogany Copper Brown then I added highlights using Excellence Cremelights. It's beautiful and my husband loves it. Then I had to go and mess up the knots/roots.

I like Jiery because he was my first CV and the experience was great. The price was RIGHT, I got my wig in 2 days and it was just what I wanted. It's a few months old and I've given it the BB treatment and it's still very curly and pretty. In fact, I'm wearing it right now. I forgot I dyed this one lighter too.

I like Rex because the hair was just mwah!! Perfect! Soft, not too shiny, the density was just right. Hairline was on point. It was so perfect, I had to sell it. The color just wasn't right for me and I refused to mess it up by coloring it. I sold it to a neighbor.

What Vendors you will never use again and why: The 2 AV from EBAY who got my first LF dollars. Frankly, I just didn't know any better. Now I do. That's money I could have spent on 4 wigs instead of 2.

How many lace wigs do you own: Sold one, so now I have 3 and my first custom is due to arrive any day now...

What is your price limit you would spend on a full lace wig: $400 and at that price it better make me quiver and shake.

N/A

WEEKLY

I think I've got a little shopping problem.       

Edited by loveangie - April 10 2008 at 5:19pm
~~MrsJones~~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~~MrsJones~~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 2:10pm

Measurements

I don't remember but I know I wear a small in stock units.

Name of Adhesives: Mr. C's, Kryolan Extra Strength Medical Adhesive,  ORWG, SafeGrip,  Hair Direct's HD White Glue,  Supertape thin strips, Extend-a-bond and blueliner

I usually exfoliate and clean hairline with 91% alcohol then apply scalp protector or liquid bandage from nexcare.

As that dries I apply tape to the unit and peel back the edges. After the scalp protection dries, I apply a layer of ORWG to my scalp. Sometimes I also take the backing from the tape(or use none at all in the front) and apply the ORWG directly to the tape of lace. That method really helps not to have alot of cleanup. I do 2 or three coats letting dry in between.I apply the front first and then use a comb to press it down. I then have my husband apply adhesive to the nape of the unit and let it dry and apply it.

Front: around three weeks

Nape: 2 weeks (minor touch ups in between)

Normal

Tennessee weather is confusing so I dont know what to call it.

The same all year.

What adhesives that didn’t work for you and why:  Extra Strength Medical Adhesive from Kryolan

What adhesive release do you use and why: Lace Release and alcohol

What adhesive release didn’t work for you and why:  n/a

If you bleached your knots what product did you used that worked:n/a

What did you use to seal you knots that worked: TDI knot sealer

If you have dyed your lace wig, what kind of dye did you used that worked, and how many containers: Dark and Lovely(didnt work), L'oreal  lift and creme developer.

What Vendors do you like and why:  lol..Im not sure if I should answer this...luxeglam.com of course..

What Vendors you will never use again and why:n/a

How many lace wigs do you own: 3

What is your price limit you would spend on a full lace wig: $500

If you ever had a wig to shed what did you use to stop it/slow it down that worked?  Stopped combing while wet, used knot sealer and used a detangler

I was it while its on every week or so to prevent product buildup, and wash it every time I take it off

phillycutee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillycutee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by NClady NClady wrote:

Phillycutee---------I use the Bodyshop Tea Tree products also, and not because I'm an Independent Consultant for The Bodyshop at Home (hint..hint..if you need some products let me know)Wink....But Tea Tree is  good for the skin and hair.

Gurl you shouldnt have told me that, i LOVE the bodyshop. I use the essential oils for my made at home hir conditioner that i use on MY natural hair. ive also got my boyfriend using the line. he smells so good lol
lfluver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfluver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 11:41am

Name of Adhesives: ORWG, INVISIBOND, ENDURABOND, BLUELINER, PROFLEX

Also add a detail description of your application regime (Scalp protect, do you use a wig cap, how you apply or how many layers, do you use a combination and etc.) clean perimeter w/ 91% alcohol, i don't use  scalp protectant b/c it shortens the hold time for me. On occasion I may use liquid bandaid by nexus.  depending on lace color, i may or may not  use a wig cap.  I use two layers of  orwg and one layer of secure or one layer of orwg and one layer of invisibond then one layer of secure around the entire perimeter. i attach the blue liner to the back of the unit then apply. i will use endurabond only if the occasion calls for it.

Front: about 10 days  

Nape: depends of what mood that blue liner is in.

What's your skin type is: Oily, Dry, T-Zone Combination (oily&dry) oily and heavy  perspiration

What State, Climate or type of Weather you live in: Middle Georgia, and its always hot, 80 degrees this week.

Summer: endurabond and orwg  and blue liner   

Fall: blue liner, endurabond and proflex( fall in Georgia is still hot)

Winter: invisibond, orwg and proflex

What adhesives that didn’t work for you and why: to me they all work if you apply them right. you can't put them all on the same way, the cure time for most types of adhesives is different. i usually don't follow the directions on the bottle b/c that seems to only work on manequins, not real people. 

What adhesive release do you use and why:91% alcohol and citrus pure remover and 100 acetone(for the endurabond)

What adhesive release didn’t work for you and why: they all work, just differently.

If you bleached your knots what product did you used that worked: loreal bleach  that sexi recommended

What did you use to seal you knots that worked: fantasia liquid mousse firm hold spritz

If you have dyed your lace wig, what kind of dye did you used that worked, and how many containers:Revlon frost and glow,  Just one container . I use it for highlights but don't use the highlighting cap. I also dont get too close to the lace or roots.

What Vendors do you like and why: Jacksun and Vanity Wigs( an ebay seller)

What Vendors you will never use again and why: I guess  I have been lucky, no bad  units.

How many lace wigs do you own: 4

What is your price limit you would spend on a full lace wig: $300

If you ever had a wig to shed what did you use to stop it/slow it down that worked? no, they have never shed (must be that cheap spritz)

How often do you wash your full lace wig? Usually every other time I take it off. I make sure the lace is clean. In the summer I do have to wash it more b/c of the sweating.

Curlygirl11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 1:16pm

Name of Adhesives: ProFlex no shine, ST, NT, Davlyn (for short 1-2 day holds I'll use Mastix-P SG or Invisibond without any tape) 

Apply 1-2 layers of skin protector around perimeter.

Apply 1 layer of Davlyn or Vapon NT on skin.
Apply ProFlex No-Shine tape around front of lace.
Apply ST around back of lace.
Apply unit and go. 

Front: 5-14 days depending on weather (5-7 is normal)

Nape: 7-14 days with touch-ups around day 4 or 5

oily

California - usually hot, dry and breezy. Winter temps around 60-80 degrees and the rest of the year around 80-112 degrees.

When temps are in the low 70s and below just about anything works and it holds twice as long - tape is optional in these temps. When temps get up into the 90's tape is a must and I double up on the amount of skin protector I use to prevent my oily skin from breaking down the bond faster. NT and ST work best for me in hot weather so far.  

What adhesives that didn’t work for you and why: Invisibond did nothing for me when I tried it about 6 months ago and it held for less than an hour. However, I tried it again last weekend with 2 thick layers and it held all week with absolutely no lifting or gummines. Go figure.....maybe my body chemistry is changing. 

What adhesive release do you use and why: I have a 3 step process:

1. Top-Sol is the best for getting the lace to release from tape & adhesives. It lathers up as  I rub it on the outside of the lace and causes the whole unit to release in about 5 minutes with hardly any tape or residue on the lace.

2. I use 99% alcohol in a small dropper bottle to get the tape off my skin without ripping out any of my baby hairs.
3. Once the tape is off I spray C-22 Citrus Solvent on my skin and let it sit for about 3-5 minutes then wipe any remaining residue of my skin and baby hairs.  

What adhesive release didn’t work for you and why: Lace Release is just okay to me. It eventually works but requires more tugging on the lace than I prefer. 

If you bleached your knots what product did you used that worked: I started out using Wella Wellite but it turned my lace an unatural looking orange color. Then I switched to the Loreal Super Blond that Sexi recommended and it works like a charm without changing the lace color at all. 

What did you use to seal you knots that worked: TDI knot sealer works well but it shrinks the lace over time and the smell is very strong. Now I use 3M-77 followed by a coat of Freez-It hairspray which removes all the tackyness and virtually eliminates shedding. 

If you have dyed your lace wig, what kind of dye did you used that worked, and how many containers: I've now colored all my units except one and I swear by Loreal. I'm new to coloring and their kits are fool proof. I've never damaged or destroyed a unit with their kits and the suttle color blends come out fabulous. 

California Lace Wigs: best hair quality I've ever had, most undetectable lace, very natural hairline and great customer service
Holly: good prices, good quality, fast service 

DeNovo: can find same quality for much cheaper from CV
Ms. Lola: can find same quality for much cheaper from CV
Celebrity Styling Wigs: crappy hair and unanatural hairline, hair starts to matt up after about 3-4 washes  

How many lace wigs do you own: 6 

What is your price limit you would spend on a full lace wig: $535.00 (but only from CLW) 

If you ever had a wig to shed what did you use to stop it/slow it down that worked? 3M-77 and Freez-It hair spray together 

How often do you wash your full lace wig? every week 

Also add any additional information: If you use a good shampoo and conditioner and keep the styling products to a minumum the hair will stay healthier looking, last longer and require less maintenance such as bleach baths, etc.

docpam69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote docpam69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 1:39pm

Measurements

Circumference of Head: 21.5

Forehead to Nape of Neck: 14
Ear to Ear Across Front Hairline:  12
Ear to Ear Over Top of Head:  12

From Temple to Temple: 15
Nape of Neck: 5.5

Name of Adhesives: I've tried invisibond (too hard to remove), Mastix P spirit gum (good for about 1 day), davlyn (so-so) and my fave Vapon no-tape (1 layer) anlong with supertape

I remove Friday night. I wash may hair and slick back with gel, cover with a queen sized knee- hi and cover with a do rag. I exfoliate my skin, paut a thin layer os a mild steroid overnight. I was my unit and let it dry overnight.

The next morning I wash my face, use scalp protect + hollister skin barrier. I may or maynot use a layer of No-tape and apply my wig with supertape 

Front: 7+ days

Nape: 7 days with a slight touch up midweek

What's your skin type is: Oily, Dry, T-Zone Combination (oily&dry) combination, moer dry in winter, more oily in summer

What State, Climate or type of Weather you live in: North. Cold in winter, hot in summer

Summer: N/A haven't been wearing long enough

Fall:

Winter: no tape + supertape

What adhesive release do you use and why: C-22 it's da bomd. Works well and fast. I've tried Alcohol and others but this works the best

If you bleached your knots what product did you used that worked: beyond the zone from Sallys

What did you use to seal you knots that worked:  TDI knot sealer plan to try hair spray when it runs out (cheaper)

If you have dyed your lace wig, what kind of dye did you used that worked, and how many containers:  I 've used L'oreal Oreor and Loreal Feria Both professional mix. I also added highlights with the left over Beyond the zone Bleach kit

best lace - I've ordered about 6 and I've never had an issue. Great hair,  no tangling, great custumer service and good prices. I know others have had problems but my experience (and several friends) is great. I have some customs coming from Yweidu

beverly hills boutique on Ebay way too expensive

How many lace wigs do you own: Since January I've bought 5, sold three, I'm waiting for 2 and keep finding myself wanting more.

What is your price limit you would spend on a full lace wig: $300

If you ever had a wig to shed what did you use to stop it/slow it down that worked? NO

How often do you wash your full lace wig? weekly

Chic-Geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chic-Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 8:58am

Name of Adhesives:  Davlyn, SuperTape, Blue Liner, Mr. C Waterproof, Vapon No Tape (I'm on a quest for a good summer holding adhesive)

Also add a detail description of your application regime (Scalp protect, do you use a wig cap, how you apply or how many layers, do you use a combination and etc.)  Cleanse area with alcohol pads; Scape protector; wig cap (trying to ditch that for the summer). I apply a  layer of adhesive on the perimeter, with tape on top of that at the sides and nape, followed by another layer of adhesive.

Front: 2 weeks

Nape: 2 weeks

Combination

What State, Climate or type of Weather you live in: Illinois (Chicago),  Seasonal soup (cold as snot, hot as hell, wet as crap, dry as rot)

Summer: Still on my quest to find the best. I'm currently testing: ProFlex No Shine+Vapon No Tape

Fall: Vapon No Tape+SuperTape

Winter: Cream adhesive+Blue liner or SuperTape

What adhesives that didn’t work for you and why: UH: messy gooey, slippery product. Couldn't handle summer heat.

EB: I call it the "lace killer" or furniture glue, this stuff is hard to clean and the hold isn't that impressive.

Invisibond: Hold wouldn't last longer than 2 days

Basebond: Hold wouldn't last long than 1 day

What adhesive release do you use and why:  Alcohol only.  Once I discovered that it works so well, I didn't  see the need to spend money  on a special adhesive, unless the product specially calls for it; i.e.,  spirit gum, EB, etc.)

What adhesive release didn’t work for you and why:  EB's  adhesive release.  It didn't work because the adhesive is too aggressive, IMO.

If you bleached your knots what product did you used that worked:  They were bleached for me.

What did you use to seal you knots that worked:  I've never sealed my knots... I'm too afraid to do it.  I've read too many disaster stories. 

If you have dyed your lace wig, what kind of dye did you used that worked, and how many containers:  Never colored it, but I'm  on a quest for summer colors Wink to match my skin tone.

What Vendors do you like and why: I love Holly Zhang. She's reasonable, personable and fast!!

What Vendors you will never use again and why:  Any AV, they're waaaaaayyyyy too expensive when compared to my current CV. There's something to be said for an educated consumer (and access to  hair forums). However, I've a gotten wonderful product at  a very good price from Fixinheads (one of my first units).

How many lace wigs do you own:  8 (I need an intervention) LOL

What is your price limit you would spend on a full lace wig:  Since dealing with  a CV, $300.

If you ever had a wig to shed what did you use to stop it/slow it down that worked?  Yes,  I didn't do anything. I just bought another one.

How often do you wash your full lace wig?  Every 2 weeks (or weekly if the application doesn't last; this is case during the summer months).

kalenjin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kalenjin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 10:35am

Name of Adhesives:

ORWG, Endura Bond, Proflex Tape, Super Tape

Also add a detail description of your application regime (Scalp protect, do you use a wig cap, how you apply or how many layers, do you use a combination and etc

I wash my hair almost every week, Condition it and re-do braids as needed
Clean with 91% alchohol
Apply two layers of liquid band aid
Apply one/two layers of ORWG
Apply tape and ORWG in the nape area
Endura bond is my emergency glue

Front: 5 days Plus

Nape: 4 days plus

Combination

PA -All seasons

Which Adhesives you find that work best in which season the Summer, Fall or Winter:ORWG, Endura Bond, Proflex Tape, Super Tape

Summer:ORWG, Endura Bond, Proflex Tape, Super Tape

Fall:ORWG, Endura Bond, Proflex Tape, Super Tape

Winter:ORWG, Endura Bond, Proflex Tape, Super Tape

UH - Headaches and skin darkening

91% Alchohol, Acetone - works easy

NA

I tried once and didnt work

Acrylic Sealer from Micheals

HL with Loreal bleach powder, 2 packs on two seperate occasions

Ven diao - good hair and very responsive to my 100 emails a day

Ebay  - I just think its fishy since the descriptions of hair dont make any sense (not to mention the 100 lines of disclaimers some of them have)

A lady never tells

250 - yes i am cheap

use fingers to comb hair instead of brushes

three - four times a month sometimes

I LOVE LF!

Moany View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2009 at 9:31am
You are really the new Bie, your hair looks amazing. Are you wearing skin lace wig? Where did you buy your hair?, it looks amazing.Smile
baby boo
Lrigyttiw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lrigyttiw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2009 at 11:52pm

Measurements:  Stock Medium

Name of Adhesives: Vapon No-Tape, HDWA, Super Tape, ORWG. Endura Bond for emergencies. I will be receiving Davlyn Green and Walker No Shine Tape this week. 

Also add a detail description of your application regime (Scalp protect, do you use a wig cap, how you apply or how many layers, do you use a combination and etc.) No wig cap. The day before I put my unit on, I cleanse my scalp really well, wash and condition my hair, and cornrow it. The next day, I wipe my hairline down with 91% alcohol. I put 1 layer of Skin Shield skin protect around my perimeter and let it dry. I put 1 thin layer of Vapon around my perimeter except for the tops of my ears and let that dry to the touch and CLEAR. For a one week hold, I put a layer of Super Tape on top of the Vapon and put a layer of HDWA on the Super Tape and let that dry until clear. Then I put my unit on. For a more than one week hold, I put another layer of Vapon on top of the Super Tape, and follow it with the HDWA. I'm still experimenting with layers. 

Front: 1-2 weeks

Nape: 1-2 weeks

T-Zone Oily

What State, Climate or type of Weather you live in: New to California, so not familiar with the climate yet.

Which Adhesives you find that work best in which season the Summer, Fall or Winter: I use the same routine for all seasons.

What adhesives that didn’t work for you and why:  Secure, Invisibond, and Davlyn Black - must have not known how to use it.

What adhesive release do you use and why: Goo Gone Spray Gel, 100% Pure Acetone, 91% Alcohol, Baby oil - easier to get.

What adhesive release didn’t work for you and why: Never tried anything else.

If you bleached your knots what product did you used that worked: Beyond the Zone Kit, and B2W powder and Clairoxide Vol 40 developer

What did you use to seal you knots that worked: Got 2 Be Freeze Blasting Spray

If you have dyed your lace wig, what kind of dye did you used that worked, and how many containers: B2W powder and Clairoxide Vol 40 developer, Feria Espresso (1 box)

What Vendors do you like and why: Rex - great units, great prices, great communication. I also used to order from CLW, and  her units are good, but her prices are too high.

What Vendors you will never use again and why: CLW - prices too high

How many lace wigs do you own: 8 (2 have died)

What is your price limit you would spend on a full lace wig: 300.00

If you ever had a wig to shed what did you use to stop it/slow it down that worked? My Virgin Indian Straight from CLW has begun to shed more than normal. I probably need to seal knots more than I do.

How often do you wash your full lace wig? Once or twice while wearing it, and thoroughly after removing it (10 -14 days)

Also add any additional information: I'm still trying to find the perfect adhesive/tape combo.

Edited by Lrigyttiw - March 23 2009 at 12:02am
http://public.fotki.com/Lrigyttiw/my-lf-experiences/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic