Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

quick question PLEASE :)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
girlnextdoor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girlnextdoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: quick question PLEASE :)
    Posted: March 27 2008 at 11:18pm
i know the answer to this is in the newbie thread in some shape or form, but i just need to double check before i attempt this.....

first off for people that own a CLW(californialacewig)
-have you ever bleached the knots? if so did u have to do the rit dye dip first or did you just apply the bleach?  I'm wanting to bleach the knots further back then what it is and i would like to bleach the nape....

secondly what is the order?

rit dye remover (if needed)
bleach knots
shampoo
condition
seal knots

OR is it

seal knots
rit dye remover
bleach knots
shampoo
condition

thanks  :)

Edited by girlnextdoor - March 27 2008 at 11:19pm
MsLiberty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsLiberty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2008 at 11:40pm
I wish I could help, I practiced bleaching the knots on a CV unit and completely destroyed it so I don't even think about touching my CLW units.

I know meechie2cute buys units from CLW, she is the one that turned me on to Annette, so maybe you can pm her.
Curlygirl11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2008 at 11:41pm
Whether or not you have to use the RIT Color Remover before bleaching depends more on the color of the hair because the #1 and #1b colors (and maybe even the #2 sometimes) are often achieved by using fabric dye. I have a color #4 unit from CLW that I bleached the knots on and I didn't use the RIT Color Remover because vendors usually use regular hair dye to make lighter colors.

So if the color of your unit is very dark then I would use the RIT Color Remover. For me I do it in this order.
1. Wash the unit - only if I've already been wearing it and it needs it
2. Do the RIT Color Remover on the knots
3. Bleach the knots
4. Wash & condition
5. Seal knots once unit dries

You can still try to bleach the knots w/o using the RIT Color Remover because they may have used regular hair dye. However, if it turns out to be fabric dye you will have to go back and use the color remover and you might even have to bleach the knots a 2nd time which I try to avoid because I don't want to burn the knots and risk having bald spots or excessive shedding several weeks or several months later.

Edited by Curlygirl11 - March 28 2008 at 12:33am
ash8419 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ash8419 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 12:19am
IA with curlygirl.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girlnextdoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Curlygirl11 Curlygirl11 wrote:

Whether or not you have to use the RIT Color Remover before bleaching depends more on the color of the hair because the #1 and #1b colors (and maybe even the #2 sometimes) are often achieved by using fabric dye. I have a color #4 unit from CLW that I bleached the knots on and I didn't use the RIT Color Remover because vendors usually use regular hair dye to make lighter colors.

So if the color of your unit is very dark then I would use the RIT Color Remover. For me I do it in this order.
1. Wash the unit - only if I've already been wearing it and it needs it
2. Do the RIT Color Remover on the knots
3. Bleach the knots
4. Wash & condition
5. Seal knots once unit dries

You can still try to bleach the knots w/o using the RIT Color Remover because they may have used regular hair dye. However, if it turns out to be fabric dye you will have to go back and use the color remover and you might even have to bleach the knots a 2nd time which I try to avoid because I don't want to burn the knots and risk having bald spots or excessive shedding several weeks or several months later.

thanks for your input, yes it is a 1b, and i see some like red hairs in there near the front, so it may be rit dye....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girlnextdoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 2:33pm
I have another question ladies????

Ok i'm about to dip and bleach.....now what do i need to do with the part that has already been bleached??? will it hurt the unit for me to rit dip it?  I know not to rebleach those knots, but i just dont want to rit dip and something bad happens.....  I know from reading that it will probably be ok and actually enhance the already bleached knots....any advice pronto as im sitting here about to go boil my water, lol
ash8419 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ash8419 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by girlnextdoor girlnextdoor wrote:

I have another question ladies????

Ok i'm about to dip and bleach.....now what do i need to do with the part that has already been bleached??? will it hurt the unit for me to rit dip it?  I know not to rebleach those knots, but i just dont want to rit dip and something bad happens.....  I know from reading that it will probably be ok and actually enhance the already bleached knots....any advice pronto as im sitting here about to go boil my water, lol

Microwave your water so it won't too hot 5 to 7 minutes should do the trick. 1 tablespoon of rits added to the water and dip the unit in and out of the mix. The mix will start to turn yellow as the color is fading from the unit. My new unit from Jack arrived an hour ago and I just finished doing the dip. The dip won't hurt even though you have bleached again. You will be ok. Should only take about 15 mins max. HTH!!!

ETA: Dip just the cap of the unit

Edited by ash8419 - March 28 2008 at 2:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic