Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Suggestions Needed - ReBraid or Gel My Own Hair?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions Needed - ReBraid or Gel My Own Hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
meangirl76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meangirl76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions Needed - ReBraid or Gel My Own Hair?
    Posted: April 01 2008 at 12:03pm
I am so tired of braiding my hair in little braids. It takes forever!

What do you ladies do?

I am thinking of washing it, wrapping it with gel, and sitting under the dryer to dry it. My stylist says my hair is too thick for that, and since I don't have a relaxer, it won't stay flat. She added that I won't have the same amount of hair growth unless I keep braiding it.

What do you think? I am open to suggestions.

TIA
LovelyLisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LovelyLisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 12:35pm
I wrap my hair too! I am in need of a perm, but I get it flat because I wrap tight while wet.  My hair lays down beautifully.

I do not use gel either.  I use a tea tree leave in conditioner.

Gel dries out my hair and by day 3, my scalp is itchin for a scratch!LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meangirl76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 12:44pm

Thanks LL. Do you sit under the dryer to dry your hair?

sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 12:47pm
no gel, no dryer gel alone will break off your hair, the gel has so much alcohol and it will break your hair off.. being covered for a long length of time needs to be moisturized and i use big plaits and connect the braids underneath to the next one..
NClady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NClady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 12:47pm
What kind of tea tree leave in conditoner do you use?

QUOTE=LovelyLisa]I wrap my hair too! I am in need of a perm, but I get it flat because I wrap tight while wet.  My hair lays down beautifully.

I do not use gel either.  I use a tea tree leave in conditioner.

Gel dries out my hair and by day 3, my scalp is itchin for a scratch!LOL
[/QUOTE]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meangirl76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 1:03pm
So I will stick with braiding then - thanks Sexi.
precioushur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote precioushur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 1:13pm
definitely braid it. The gel will dry your hair out something terrible,and cause it to break terribly. Just take the 20 minutes and braid braid braid.
girlnextdoor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girlnextdoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 1:28pm
I wish i knew how to braid, what about platting, i know i can do that, I'm getting tired of paying someone to braid my hair!
GeminiBaby08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeminiBaby08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 2:02pm

It's so funny that this post came up today, I was just sitting here like "man I don't feel like rebraiding my hair" The hardest part for me is my nails. I love to keep them done but it really is a inconvence when it comes to hair. I have to braid my son hair and my clients also. So I took them off so I can braid my hair. I will say when I started to wear LFW I had to add braiding hair to my own but now I don't need any and my hair is growning like crazy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meangirl76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 2:09pm
Ok, I know I need to look at the newbie thread for this...but what is the diff. b/w braiding and plaiting (sp?)?
girlnextdoor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girlnextdoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 2:21pm
i believe plaiting/platting or howeva u wanna spell it is like 2 strands instead of 3 like cornrowing/braiding....i cant braid for nothin!!
ash8419 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ash8419 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 2:23pm
Braiding to most is cornrows. Plaits are individual braids---think Ms Celie from "The Color Purple"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LovelyLisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 2:56pm
sorry Im so late but NO HEAT for me! I let it airdry.  Pick a day that you are gonna be at home just chillin!  I usually do it about 9am on a Saturday and by the time I clean and wash clothes, my thick hair is dry but flat.

and by chance if I have to run out! I throw on a jazzy hat and keep it movin!

Be sure your hair is dry before applying your LF!

Edited by LovelyLisa - April 01 2008 at 2:57pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LovelyLisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 3:00pm
The leave creme I use is from PRuv????  I can't remember. but it keeps moisture in my hair which is very important to me because my hair is dry.
I will look at conatainer tonite and let you know.

But my scalp and hair love the stuff.  and you get that chill feel on your scalp too! AAAWWWW! Feels good!Approve
phillycutee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillycutee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 3:26pm
i say stick to the cornrows becuase they really help the hair grow. Gel is a NO NO in my book becuse it drys the hai out too much. how often atre you braiding it? I only redo my braids once every 3 weeks. I take my wig off once a week and just wash and condition it while the braids are still in there. I do where a wig cap though so it doesnt matter as much.
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 6:53pm
What if you used a combo technique:  like LovelyLisa, you apply leave-in conditioner, THEN apply the gel. This way the gel would harden and seal IN the moisture? I think the trick would be, if you do the gel method, to take care of your hair EXTRA well when you wash it. And you should likely wash it more so the gel doesn't rob your hair of moisture. Just a thought!
Curlygirl11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 9:04pm

ITA with all the ladies on here. Gel is gonna dry your hair out which will result in lots of split ends and breakage. After you wash and condition put a good amount of oil in it then just do a few individual braids while it's still wet. If you put the wig cap on while it's drying that will help to keep it flat.

Tea4Two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tea4Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 9:36pm

Yeah, at first I was washing my hair then applying gel when wet, then putting a stocking cap on to keep it flat.  It worked fine except the gel does dry out your hair, so I stopped using the gel. 

So far I've only been wrapping my hair as flat as possible.  It works for me, even when I went swimming.  Next I will try Sexi's idea of plaiting my hair (like in the Color Purple).  I think that'll work best.

lohan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lohan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 9:47pm
My hair is shoulder length and I do 4 big cornrows.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic