Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My experience with Acetone for removing LG and tap
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My experience with Acetone for removing LG and tap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KrystalR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrystalR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My experience with Acetone for removing LG and tap
    Posted: April 23 2008 at 6:48pm

A few weeks back, we were discussing acetone for removing LG and tape so I thought I would update you on my experience.

At the time, I was nervous about putting too much Acetone on the weft and my own hair and Sherrie chimed in telling me to go for it.
Sherrie is right, acetone is great and makes removal so easy. 
And it isn't as messy as those oily removers.
I had to remove one weft and didn't want to use anything oily that would seep into my other wefts, so, I put the 100 % Acetone in a small squirt bottle, covered the adjacent wefts in plastic and squirted the acetone on the weft I wanted out. I was pretty generous with the acetone and I gently massaged it into the Supertape/LG 'd weft.
Within minutes, the hair was loosened and started to slide right out. I had to squirt a couple areas more than once, but, the hair came out so easily. And, once the weft was out, I was able to pull most of the tape off of the weft in two pulls.
I then, used a little more acetone on the weft and then washed it with a clarifying shampoo. No stickiness at all.
I also squirted a little more acetone on the very little bit of glue left in my own hair and then washed it with a clarifying shampoo. No glue or stickiness in my hair at all.
I have to say the acetone was so much faster getting the weft and the glue out. And, it is so much easier to clean up afterwards as well.
I think one trick is to not be stingy with the acetone. In my experience, it seemed to need a pretty good soaking.
Hope that is useful.

Edited by KrystalR - April 23 2008 at 7:13pm
Poose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 12:05am
That is helpful :)
I always use the LG oil crap, and it actually makes me ill (very odd).
I'll have to try this! ^_^
^..^
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 7:51am
Glad it worked for you KrystalR. Its the best method for removal that I have found and dont use anything else. Like you have discovered, you have to use the acetone generously. A little bit of acetone wont work effectively, but if you soak the tapes/glue with acetone it works very quickly and very well. Plus no oily residues to try to shampoo out of your own hair or the wefts afterwards.
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2008 at 2:19pm
Krystal, thanks for this update. It looks like acetone is the way to go! I'll definitely have to try it. Sherrie has always said it is the best remover & I trust her opinion.

I hate the idea of it on my bleached hair, but it's can't be all that bad if so many people use it. I think it will be especially great when I have to make corrections, like Krystal, and take out only a few wefts without oiliness and mess. Looks like that's going to happen tomorrow!LOLCry
Love clip-ins and tape!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic