Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"When" Indeed!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "When" Indeed!
    Posted: April 29 2008 at 5:04pm
      A couple weeks ago my oldest DD had her wedding shower. As my wife Sue left our house, her hair came out extremely silky-looking, and she wore it down.
     Now, several of her relations had not seen her in several years, and it's only been the past 3 1/2 that it's been *really* long. By society's standards, of course. All I could think was, "Here we go!" Some of her cousins had hinted at their displeasure with Sue's moderately long hair in the past, so I couldn't wait.
     I didn't say a word to Sue when the shower was over, but it didn't take her five minutes before her face broke out into amiscievous grin. "You'd never guess what my Aunt Peggy said!" Now this aunt is over 80, and she'd been "forthcoming" even in her early years, so she just let it out.
     "Susan, **when** are you going to cut that *hair*!"
     "When I get a second husband!" Sue retorted with a laugh.
     Geez, she's getting good at this. Make *me* the fall guy! I'm simply a bystander. LOL
     Of course, a few cousins chirped in with barbs. Again, Sue just found it all hysterical. It used to bother her.   
      Even though I expect this rude behavior already, what is it about long hair that sends so many into rant mode? Two of the cousins in particular have barely enough length to comb, and both have hair that would look 10X prettier with some growth. But I'd never insult them, even in return. Sometimes I laugh, as I did when Sue relayed this predictable story, but other times I get tired of it. Blessings, Bob

Edited by Bob S - April 29 2008 at 5:06pm
paper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2008 at 5:52am
Bob, I love the way your DW handled that. And, especially not letting it bother her, because she expected it. I don't know why it is people think they have any right commenting on those that have long hair. And, your right no one comments on those with "short" hair even if it looks bad.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2008 at 8:29am
I guess what really bothers us when people say negative things to us is that they catch us off guard and surprise us with it, so we don't think fast enough to respond, then we obsess over it because we feel attacked (I'm just a poor innocent gentle deer in the headlights!  How mean of you to stab me when I wasn't expecting it!).  Being prepared for it so that you can say something snappy back really helps a lot!   (Not that we should have to spend our time and brain power anticipating and preparing for all the jerks in the world....but the jerks don't seem to ever go away.)

I've seen enough women with short hair envy women with long hair that I think jealousy is one reason.  And the women with short hair often look just fine, but they seem to miss feeling as feminine as they know they would with longer hair. 

Some women just hate long hair.  My mom was like that.  So was her mom.  It was a requirement to have long before they got old enough to pick their own style, so both went for short when they could, and decided that old fashioned requirement = bad, short and stylish=good.  So, some think they know better than you what's best for you.

So what is it about long hair?  You know, I hate to blame poor Oprah for this, and it CERTAINLY would not be ALL on her.  But I wonder, because she reaches so many women of a certain age group and she's been so anti-long hair for so many years...I wonder if some people aren't just carrying her cause for her (which - a positive her her - they'd do because they look up to her).

Edited by Susan W - April 30 2008 at 8:33am
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 8:56pm
Hey Bob, I concur with paper -- it's good to know your wife has developed a strong spine and can laugh off others' insults.

Susan, ugh, don't even get me started on 0prah and her cult of personality.

Edited by DaveDecker - May 01 2008 at 9:00pm
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 11:05am
I agree with you Bob I just don't know why everybody is so hostile towards long hair. Instead of them asking when she will cut it, they should be telling her how pretty her hair is. Bob what is the length of your wife's hair? Is it at her waist or longer?
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 2:51pm
    devil Hey Jared. Her hair is at her hips, about 33-34" long. It had reached 38", but  that was a bit too log for her. Got caught in too many things! (lol) Thanks for asking, Bob 
shortvslong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shortvslong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 3:41pm
jealousy I think??? Even the biggest short hair lover with look twice at a beautiful head of hair
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 8:33pm
Thanks for the answer Bob, it sounds like your wife has beautiful long hair.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Bob S Bob S wrote:

Her hair is at her hips, about 33-34" long. It had reached 38", but  that was a bit too log for her. Got caught in too many things! (lol)

Bob, how do you measure the length?  From the crown?  Or from the forehead, over the crown (the "GM" way)?
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 3:04pm
     Smile I measure the GM way Dave. It seems like cheating a bit, but it seems to serve as a morale boost to some starting from short. So, it's fine with me. Her actual length is about 30" on the sides and 28 1/2" from the back of the part. It's cut straight across (by me only), and there are absolutely no fringe and NO layers, except what has occurred through breakage and new growth. Layers would be ruinous, as her hair is straight with medium thickness. The only wave is the curl at her hips. Yeah, it's magnificent. LOL Thanks, Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic