Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

S-Curl......WHAAA???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
taggi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taggi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S-Curl......WHAAA???
    Posted: April 29 2008 at 11:15pm
Hey ppl!

Now I have to figure this one out: What is the deal with S-Curl No-Drip Activator stuff? I mean, what is it exactly?!!?Geek

Everytime I think of activator, I imagine some greasy old pimp from the 70s (not that I don't appreciate the era) and he is just shiny and smells like hair! LOL Either that or I think of that scene from Coming To America right before Darryl announced that him and Lisa will be engaged and his family gets off the couch! LOL! That couch stain was off! Love that movie.

Sing it with me now: "Just let your soooouuuuuullll glow!!!!"LOL

Anyway, can someone who uses it please give a break down of the main ingredients in it and how it works, if it is chemical, etc. Also, how often do you use it? Since it is an activator (whatever that means) does it last for a certain amount of time like an unpermanent perm? Is that even possible.....Confused

Thanks!
_Princess_ View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2008 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by taggi taggi wrote:

Hey ppl!

Now I have to figure this one out: What is the deal with S-Curl No-Drip Activator stuff? I mean, what is it exactly?!!?Geek

Everytime I think of activator, I imagine some greasy old pimp from the 70s (not that I don't appreciate the era) and he is just shiny and smells like hair! LOL Either that or I think of that scene from Coming To America right before Darryl announced that him and Lisa will be engaged and his family gets off the couch! LOL! That couch stain was off! Love that movie.

Sing it with me now: "Just let your soooouuuuuullll glow!!!!"LOL

Anyway, can someone who uses it please give a break down of the main ingredients in it and how it works, if it is chemical, etc. Also, how often do you use it? Since it is an activator (whatever that means) does it last for a certain amount of time like an unpermanent perm? Is that even possible.....Confused

Thanks!

LOLLOL Thas my movie..bump
Tea4Two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tea4Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2008 at 8:21pm

Luster's S-Curl Activator and Moisturizer "No Drip Formula"
may be used daily to maintain and condition your curly hair style. It contains glycerine and vitamin B5, which together eliminate breakage and keep your curls, waves and natural hair soft, healthy and with a lasting sheen.

This special " NO DRIP" Formula allows you to use S-Curl Activator and Moisturizer without fear of ruining your clothes or pillow cases. S-Curl Activator and Moisturizer can be used daily by the entire family and will not leave a greasy build-up.

Directions: Hold bottle about six inches from hair, spray S-Curl Activator and Moisturizer evenly over the entire head, massage completely through, then style. Use daily to maintain proper moisture balance.

http://public.fotki.com/Tea4Two
taggi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taggi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2008 at 7:43pm

WOW, that was really thourough, thanks!!!

*~earthangel*~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *~earthangel*~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 8:13am
I love S-Curl no drip.
My Fotki

[url=http://www.pikistrips.com/clicked/24680082][/ur
taggi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taggi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 3:16pm
So what does this stuff smell like?? I don't wanna walk around like a big ball of hair products, LOL. Does anyone mix this stuff with another product to make it smell better if it is too strong???

I'm in the process of creating my own spray bottle recipe and I wanna get in all the best to make my hair soft and manageable Approve.

Thanks ladies!
LilMissSunshine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilMissSunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 6:25pm
People say its really moisturizing. For me it moisturizes well but after a few hours my hair is dry as the sahara desert. To me its smells bad and it is sticky. I think it would be best to create your own mix.
taggi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taggi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 6:30pm
OMG thank you so much, no one has ever said what is smells or feels like.

Thanks for being honest before I invested in this!
LILDEE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LILDEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 4:36pm
I have the s-curl spray but I have no idea how to use it. Last night I spray my braids 3times with it. And no guys it has no smell it smells like any other hair product nothing strong or sweet.
http://members.fotki.com/Lil-may/about/ God is good!!!
taggi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taggi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 6:19pm
Well I guess it all depends on how your sniffer works or something....Embarrassed.

I, for one, do not plan on using this product. I just don't think I would like it. Besides, I found a few products I really like and I will stick with what I know for now
PrettyFace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrettyFace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2008 at 1:22pm
S-Curl does smell like "jheri curl juice". 
This product and products like it (glycerin-types) are great for dryness emergencies IMO, but not for day to day use.  My "juice" of choice is Care Free Curl Gold.  It has a nicer smell.......so on the rare occasions when I need it, I don't have the jheri curl smell going on.
Current: 4A Relaxed(next relaxer-Phyto index 1)
Length: Between APL & BSL
Goal: MBL by December 2009
taggi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taggi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 5:33pm
Well Prettyface.......

Sounds like a good buy. Where do you purchase from? Also since you dont use it everyday, what do you do when you apply it? IS it after a wash, before bed, whenever?

For some reason I feel like using a product that is watery (I'm assuming it is watery) will dry my hair out. I used Infusium 23 leave in treatment off of the advice of someone on this forum and it dried my hair out soooooooooo bad. It was literally like pouring  cloudy water on my head and it ran down my neck and face!!! THAT is outta controlGeek.

I really wanna find something that is good for natural hair, that is not petroleum "feeling" like blue magic, ultra sheen, or doo gro and too heavy. I do want something nice and loose like the S-curl, but sans the j-curl smell.

UHhHHHhhhHHhh...............Maybe I should go into the hair product business. Lord knows we need something out there that is more than a marketing trick pony (and by pony I mean Mane n' TailAngryarms)

Yeah I fell for that one too

Edited by taggi - June 14 2008 at 5:35pm
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 1:13pm
Curl activator were simply products meant to moisturize your curl so that the curls remain defined..

When I wore a Jheri Curl I never had the SOUL GLOW because I did not use products containing oil (does anyone remember "Good Fred Oil"?? ).

S Curl, Care Free Curl, and Right On Curl products were all basically the same type of glycerin based products which did not have a "Jheri Curl smell" (whatever that means.. ). They all had a basically pleasant scent and did not leave the hair greasy.. (which is why they were the products of choice for my curl)

My best suggestion is to open a bottle of this product at the local BSS and determine for yourself if the scent is one YOU will find objectionable.. As for ingredients, none of these products contain anything that will be harmful to your hair..

Edited by Divavocals - June 18 2008 at 10:58pm
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
taggi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taggi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 4:52pm
barmy Thanks for that info, it helps!
mslady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mslady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2008 at 4:55am
I love SCurl.   Keeps my hair moisturized and it's not greasy! 
intl_babygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intl_babygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 11:47am
just add an essential oil to create a better smell like lavender or orange or whatever
hmm ... http://public.fotki.com/intlbabygirl/
DiZZ-DiZZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiZZ-DiZZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2008 at 2:44am
ayy what's da difference btwn A S-CURL and A JHERI CURL???

errtime i think of JHERI CURL, i think of ice cube as DOUGHBOY in da movie "BOYZ 'N DA HOOD"....
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 10:40am
I use which ever one I can find for the cheapest. Currently, I am using the Luster's but when this bottle is done; I think I have two more bottles of cfcg. I am natural and currently in micros so i spray it on my scalp and braids for moisture. Good Stuff and no smell.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
Umph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 7:54am
Carefree Care Gold is a good one... I also like Donnies Curl Activator by Dr. Donnie's. It has a lighter feel than CFC products and does a great job defining curls- the smell 'aint bad, kinda like a light coconut smell
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic