Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

split ends -HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lizura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: split ends -HELP!
    Posted: May 01 2008 at 4:40pm
Anyone knows a treatment for split ends!
My hair looks like a disaster with the split ends!
Help!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 12:47pm
Heavy silicone products will help hold them together a little and make them feel nicer, but if the hair is split, it can climb the hair so trimming them off is the best option.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Lizura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 11:53pm
I don't know anything about this kind of products? Can you give more details please?
asiabo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asiabo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2008 at 12:26pm
there really is no cure for split ends except trimming
Before/After toning with Wella

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 7:45am
That's true.  Heavy silicone products are anything (conditioner being the most useful) that has a lot of ingredients that end with "cone" or "one" in it.  They will help make your hair feel softer, less tangly, and may help glue some of the splits a bit, but there's no cure.  You really do need to get them trimmed off, or you'll just have to cut more of your hair off later to get rid of them.

Cone products also have some drawbacks.  They can build up on your hair and cause breakage (the cones make a coat that can chip over time and take some of your hair with it when it breaks off).  This takes 6 months to a year to happen, so its not an immediate problem.  Most people use a clarifying shampoo once every 2 months to remove the silicone coat, but if you dye your hair, this may or may not also mess up your dye job.  A heavy cone coat can also interfere with the dye process to I've heard, though I haven't had a problem with this personally (the dye will remove the cone coat for you so you don't have to clarify, but I've heard others on here say hair should be clarified to remove it before dyeing.)
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
PerfectBrunette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 10:12pm
Cut them off! Wow, that was an easy one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic