Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair DIlemma

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lokistorm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lokistorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair DIlemma
    Posted: May 06 2008 at 6:18pm

My natural hair color is a medium to light blonde and I have a short hair style.

Last year I foolishly permanently dyed my hair black, and ever since it has been a never ending cycle of re-dyeing. Its now a medium brown, which fades to a horrible muddy ginger color, which I have to re-dye all the time.

I want to be dyed blonder/get a full head of highlights to allow my natural blonde to eventually emerge, my only concern is the old brown color underneath these highlights, I would not want to have nice highlights and then a nasty gingery brown color underneath.

Heres how it has gone/will go - Is it plausible?

- Bold indicates dyed/unatural hair

Natural Blonde -> Perm. Black -> Perm. Medium Brown -> Full head of blonde highlights over Medium brown -> Gradually get more blonde and allow natural blonde to emerge aswell.

Thanks.
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 7:52pm
Use colorfix first before you do the highlights.  It may take a few times, then you can bleach. 

Hope this helps.

Rebekah
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 9:36am
Yeah, I agree with Rebekah.  Since you don't like the brown, you may as well just get rid of the dark stuff now and go blonde, since there isn't really any advantage to keeping or disadvantage to going there now.  You may not even need to bleach, once all the dye is removed after Colorfixing a few times, it will probably come out yellow since you started blonde and all dye after that had some peroxide which probably lifted more, so then you just have to tone it or dye over it a natural looking blonde shade.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
lokistorm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lokistorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 8:55pm
The thing is, I want the whole full head of highlights over brown look, as I wouldn't want my hair to go straight to all over blonde the first time.

What I'd like to do is gradually let the blonde take over the old brown dye, so start off with highlights and gradually turn it into a full blonde. Is this plausible, and what will happen to the old dyed brown underneath?

I've color tried strippers in the past and they havn't worked very well.
spinaltap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spinaltap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 10:20pm
This happened to me before.  I got a full head of highlights and it turned out beautiful.  The other color that I tried to get rid of (dirty brown and muck colors) werent that noticable and actually looked nice with the blonde. The dyed brown faded within a couple weeks and it all blended nicely.
Good luck to you.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic