Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another inverted bob !!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another inverted bob !!!!
    Posted: May 13 2008 at 8:24pm

Big%20smile

I have never seen a cut that had taken off like the inverted bob. So many ladies are asking for tis cut with many differant lengths at the nape. Just this past week I must have done 8 cuts that the client had a shoulder length bob and asked to have it shorter at the collar and a bit higher in the back than the front.
The question is this, is everybody seeing this style of cut in public? Are there any other stylist seeing the same trend? I think this  is a great cut and works well for many of clients. What are your feeling on this?
Mike

Edited by mikecuts - May 13 2008 at 8:26pm
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2008 at 10:21pm
Personally, I love it and yes, I'm seeing this haircut all over the place.  I just wish my wife would go for it but she won't because of her naturally curly hair; her current hairstylist won't do it; he said she'd have to flat iron the s@*! out of her hair to get it to look like Posh; I said it doesn't have to look just like Posh's bob; a curly version would look awesome, I think.  There are numerous variations out there already.
HAWG
bnbivi00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnbivi00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2008 at 6:34am
I also have been seeing this cut quite a bit.  The great thing is that this style can range from very short to medium in length so it fits many people.  I have been cutting it like crazy to be honest.  I would say this is the biggest impact cut since the "Rachel" of the early 90s.
Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 3:20pm
I believe exactly what you say is true. Do you have many donations for Locks of Love? Just wondering
Mike
bnbivi00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnbivi00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 3:25pm
Yes...i have probably done 10-15 in the last month for LOL,Wigs for Kids, or Beautiful Lengths.  Doing an event next month where we had over 140 donations two years ago (didn't happen last year).
Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained
ssjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 3:26pm
I see this cut everywhere.  It is currently my favorite cut on a woman.  I think what makes it great is that it is easily customized to the woman wearing the cut.  Very flattering.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 5:38pm
     Hi Mike. I assume that you weren't cutting hair during the Hamill wedge craze, or the Farrow pixie rush of the 60's. Almost every girl in my grade school class looked like Mia, and even HS girls of the day joined the crowd en masse.
     The pob trend numbers don't compare, really. IMO, the cut is just too difficult for all but the best stylists, and even the better cuts last 2-4 weeks at the longest, then fall out of shape.
     The wedge trend was the only short one that I ever thought was *hot*, perhaps in part b/c that trend replaced the horrid shag rage. Oh, and honestly, from a boy's POV, I thought the pixies were fairly pretty. I still like them and straight bobs on young girls. All my DD's had pixies and/or bobs at one time or another. Smile Bob
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2008 at 8:20pm
Bob S
I have been doing hair for the past 10 years or so. I do remeber when the Shag craze hit. If you watch styles sometimes you are able to predict what the next trend will be.  Clients start with a bob, then go to a inverted or sometimes called a Graduated Bob, then a wedge style. After that she may tend to go shorter into a pixie or grow the back out and get it cut into a shag of some sort. How ever they ask for we must make sure that the hair can support the cut, along with the facial shape. Also what some ladies need to take into consideration is their life style.
 You mention the "the WEDGE" cut" That is one style I agree with. My wife loves the cut an so many variations of it. She enjoys the added length on the top. Sometimes has the nape and sides done with a #2 and taperd along the "bulk line".
As far as having the Inverted Bob cut last it is difficult as with any short style to hold the lines over time. Trims every 4 weks help. This cut works so very well with straight thick hair as in Lovebobs pictures of Kim. I usually ask before starting the cut if the client would object to using clippers or would she prefer scissor over comb. I do prefer using the clipper over comb technique. You?
How ever the cut it is great to see your work get noticed.
Mike
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 12:29pm
     Yeah Mike, I do agree that clippers over comb can create a more polished look. I am very surprised that this style remains popular, since the maintenance process is intensive, and the grow-out often looks sloppy. Plus, it's hard to wear the cut any way but one!
     For me, as short cuts go, I'll take the old-fashioned bob, b/c there is a lot of movement and swing. To get it just right takes some talent, though I'm sure that the simple , symmetrical cut is not nearly as challenging, or as much fun as the pob. BTW, my oldest DD works in the Poconos in nursing care.   Blessings, Bob Star
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2008 at 9:24am
Bob
Clipper over comb gives a stylist much more control when the art is masterd. This leaves the hair in better shape and I feel it holds the cut longer.
Nursing? Way to go. That is a job that is very rewarding. Nice area also.
Mike
lovebobs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovebobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2008 at 10:14am
hey mike it is odd that stylists always have to ask if they can use clippers on a girl
i know most of the time when my wife gets cut the girls will ask "do you mind if i use the buzzer on the bottom or do you want it cut with scissors"
some (if not most girls) are afraid of the clippers , not realizing she will get a much cleaner cut my wife (as with most girls) usually says SCISSOR.
however there was this one stylist who moved (damn!!) and the 2 times she cut kim she used clippers and clippers over comb without asking and my wife said nothing. and i noticed the cut came out alot nicer, i told my wife and she agreed.
i think part of the reason alot of girls are still getting this cut is the fact that it is an odd grow out and they get fed up and go for the cut again.
i know for a fact my wife has at least 3-4 times told me she was growing it out. then after about 2-3 mos, she gets it cut because she hates the way it looks (very sloppy).
I HOPE IT IS HERE FOR A WHILE , I AM IN LOVE W/ IT!!!!!!!
Long with BLUNT bangs or ALL cut to lip length, I cant decide my favorite!
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 8:47pm
Loveebobs, As you said ODD maybe. But I would rather ask than to just use them and shocking the heck out of the client if they have any fear! I feel its best to walk thru every step of the cut and explain the what and why's. Sometimes this answers a question that she maybe afraid to ask.  A  conversation with the client can sure go a long way. This also puts them much more at ease and shows that you are concerned as much about making them look good as well as them making themselfs look good once they leave and need to do their style on their own.  I even tell them if they should have any questions to give me a call.  
How would you feel if you had shoulder length hair and asked for a inverted bob and the stylist buzzed the back with clippers and you did not want them to. I don't look at it as odd to ask, just feel the need to know what she would want. Consultation, conversation, communication. The 3 C's. use em' or lose em'. 
Mike  
GC2599 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GC2599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 4:14pm
mike what the longest hair you cut into an inverted bob with the buzzed back? did you start with the clippers in the back? i ask this cause i heard some hair stylist pin there hair and shave the back first no matter how long the hair is to start. if you every did that how did the lady react
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 8:49pm

The longest was mid back. She worked out a lot and jogged and she  hated the "Sweaty Ponytail" hanging on her neck all the time and was too thick to keep pulling up. Mid age she was ready to have it cut, We donated her hair! Yes the back was first to go. Section the hair off into a inverted vee just above the optical at the angle you want the back at then clipper with a #4 the tapper if needed.

I would say the reaction is shocking, wouldn't you be scared?

GC2599 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GC2599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 12:47pm
how long ago was this? did she like the cut better. did she also keep it like that for awhile after that
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2008 at 4:24pm
This was last fall, She still comes in and pretty much the same cut she has since added bangs and more side layers.
As far as did she like the cut? She was overly happy with the style. She has straight hair and the cut just falls into place after drying. It was a big change for her that she wanted to do for a long time. She claims to never go back to one length hair again. One main thing she loves is the way it moves and goes back into place.
Mike

GC2599 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GC2599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2008 at 2:37pm
what color hair did she have. i love the 2 tone blonde with the dark nape. Dose she still go clipper short in the back. Did you shave the back before you cut her ponytail off. Have you ever done a long and dark to short and blonde makeover?

gc
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2008 at 6:31pm
Color is brown with high lites Real Chunky High lites. No, we stepped away from the clippers for the past two cuts. I have been doing a razor cut on the lower nape and it look great on her.

As for clipping before cutting the pony tail? ... This would have been hard to do when you want to donate. She had it cut just above the collar. Then as for the preveius post it was cut.
GC, not all inverted bobs are clipped short in the back. I at times preffer to just take the length at the collar and taper up. Most cuts though do.
require some tapering.
strawberiblonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberiblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2008 at 7:49pm
Actually, I'm getting really sick of seeing the inverted bob.  And I have one!  Not that it's not a cute style, but it doesn't look good on everyone (nor is it always cut well, unfortunately).  I am growing mine out to a layered bob because I am tired of seeing myself walking around everywhere, LOL!   
tashanicole86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tashanicole86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2008 at 9:39pm
I would have to agree with a couple of points. I have an inverted bob at the moment, but I am seeing it EVERYWHERE! I love it, but it does lose its shape very quickly. I got mine cut like 3 weeks ago and I feel like I have to go have it shaped again. The cut works great for my hair, because my hair is really straight and I also have a more square shaped face, so it looks good. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic