Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Smoke In Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Janie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smoke In Hair
    Posted: November 14 2002 at 4:26am
I just started a new job in a restaurant and when they put in the smoking section my hair feels really yucky and smells bad. Even shampoo doesn`t seem to help unless I shampoo 2x which makes me worry about my hair and it`s condition. It there something I can do to repel the smoke to keep it off my hair?
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2002 at 9:46am
Hi Janie,

There are several things you can do to help contain the smoke. You can use a good cream based leave-in conditioner like Aveda Elixer or Phyto 7 or 9 or similar product and apply it to your hair while it is damp before you dry it. Phytodefrisant or a curl defrizzer will also help. These will act as a barrier to the smoke or other toxins. Also, wear your hair up if possible and close to your scalp. The closer you wear your hair to your scalp the less smoke that your hair will absorb. Of course wearing a baseball cap will help but that may not be an option. Leather will also repel smoke.

Once you get home rinse your hair in lukewarm water. If you are worried about too much shampoo, try diluting just a dab of shampoo with the water and letting the suds gently glide down the length of your hair. You can also try washing your hair with conditioner that is diluted.

I think that using a good heavy leave-in will help. I personally have great luck with the Phyto 7 which I have been using for many years and it really does block out odors and environmental nasties but I encourage you to find a leave-in that works for your hair type.

The ONLY thing that will remove really terrible odors like skunk or similar is a mixture of tomato juice and water. It really works. However, it is definitely acidic and be hard on the hair. It is always best to try and block damage before it happens than to try and deal with the aftermath.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2002 at 9:58am
Hey Janie! I know what you mean...I work in a restaurant too. I use Clairol Daily Defense leave-in spray conditioner & it seems to work pretty well...the smoky smell has definitely gotten less stinky since I started using it. Of course, Karen`s solution (above) is probably better, since she`s the resident expert.
Hope I could help!
Ingrid :)
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2002 at 11:06pm
Hi Ingrid,

Thanks for the tip. Actually I think any good leave-in conditioner will work...Clairol included. I just happen to have very dry and coarse hair so I need the super powers of 7 or 9 but if Clairol works well for you then that is very cool. I appreciate your feedback. I usually recommend creams because they absorb a little better but then again, all hair will react differently so I probably should rethink that cream idea and include sprays as well.

Thanks again for the tip and if you find something that works better please let us know.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Julie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2002 at 8:36am
Fresh lemon & lime is also very good, it got rid of the garlic smell on my hands, so i thought it would tackle smoke no problem. Iam like you i hate the fag stink in my hair and its not attractive if your sleeping next to your partner making the pilliows smell all musty!! I use it after i have been to the pub or out clubbing. I get the solution ready before i go out i add ice cubes cover & refridgerate. I put it it on after i have washed my hair first with a build up remover shampoo, then add lemon & lime juice then condition.If you feel you can put a comb through your hair without conditioner and you might like to give your hair a break from chemicals as i sometimes do, rinse it off with cool water this will enhance the shine. If you are working most nights you don`t want to spend all your hard earnings on expensive conditioners, save them for when you have your nights off. A good intensive conditioner that works on very stressed hair is extra virgin olive oil and Aqueous cream BP, available from a good chemist or pharmacy, i think you lot call it the drugstore?? A couple of quid for a 500g tub and its good for all sorts of things like dry skin etc . wrap your hair in cling film and leave for as long as possible. just add 2 parts aqueous to 1 part olive oil. you then rinse off by shampooing the hair so you get rid of the olive oil and do the shampoo & conditioning thing in reverse. Its a very good treatment & tricks the hair into conditioning it when your hair becomes immune to doing the same thing all the time, Its also good for when you run out of conditioner saves a bomb and is a very good thing to use if you get fed up with plastic smelling conditioners. Ido and i am the biggest product juNkie ever!!! hope this helps you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic