Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

For those who have found the "perfect" stylist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For those who have found the "perfect" stylist
    Posted: November 15 2002 at 3:26pm
Almost every article written says that a great stylist will ask you about your lifestyle, how much time you`re willing to devote to your hair each day, and then really look at the growth patterns in your hair. Also, he will ask what chemical treatments your hair has had in it.

Does anyone have a stylist who actually asks these questions? About the only question I`ve ever been asked is, "Well, what shall we do?" or "What would you like done?"

No one has ever delved further into past treatments, haircuts, my lifestyle, or any of that which great stylists are "supposed" to ask.

I`m just curious to know how detailed your stylist gets!

Jennifer
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2002 at 3:53pm
Good questions Jennifer. I have actually found a very attentive stylist who always listens to what I want in a hair cut and thoroughly knows my daily hair care routine.

I cut my own hair!

Yes, I know that some of the worst mistakes happen when an amateur takes a pair of shears to their own hair, but I`ve been cutting my own shoulder-length blunt-cut hair for the last year and it looks pretty good considering I have to use two mirrors to see behind my back. People are REALLY surprised when I tell them I cut it myself. I just got tired of having to explain to stylists that I wanted a perfectly straight-across cut, not a V- or U-shape. It`s just easier this way, not to mention cheaper.

(If I were to get a drastic cut, I`d definitely find the best stylist in town and leave the shearing to them :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2002 at 3:43am
Hey again, Jennifer! By some miracle, I`ve finally found a stylist that has (so far) been wonderful to me. I have naturally very curly hair, and so its been really hard to find someone who really knows how to cut it right (its very different from straight hair). Anyway, she took the time to discuss what I wanted in detail, ask me about myself, and get to know me before cutting. The first time I went to her I was getting a pretty drastic cut (5 1/2 inches- Yikes!), and I was really, really nervous and even shed a tear or two, and she was understanding and sweet and very sensitive to my fears. I know it sounds kinda silly, but I think that she`s a real blessing.
All the bestest luck to you finding someone good, Jennifer. Try calling around to different places next time, ask about consultations, and if you have curly or in some way unusual or unique hair, try to find someone who specializes in that type of hair. And if they don`t seem to listen or laugh off your ideas before they begin, go somewhere else... you might feel like kind of a jerk walking out on a styist, but that`s better than hating your hair. Besides, YOU are paying THEM...you deserve to get what you pay for, right?
Take care & good luck :) :)
Love,
Ingrid
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
Olivia Chillia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olivia Chillia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2002 at 2:33pm
I have found two such stylists! Both asked me what I did for work and other lifestyle questions. Both asked how much time I was willing to spend on my hair. Both asked what I wanted from a style. And both educated me about my hair growth patterns and recommended styles that would work with them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic