Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How often do you tone your bleached hair??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oceanduck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oceanduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How often do you tone your bleached hair??
    Posted: May 18 2008 at 8:59pm
I've read after you tone bleached hair, the toner only lasts a few weeks.   So, then what?   I can't believe toning hair very often would be good, because the toner has 20 volume peroxide?

How do you maintain your pale blonde hair, then?

THanks
asiabo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asiabo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 12:49am
i tone every time i get my roots touched up with a permanent toner, 20 v. developer. after that i don't mess with the permanent because i don't' want to have to worry about my roots turning orange. been there, done that...

the key for me is in 3 things:
~semi-permanent toners (manic panic virgin snow, for example), which i can get on my roots and nothing happens
~purple shampoo or conditioner (like clairol shimmer lights or matrix so silver). i used to prefer the conditioner but i find that the shampoo covers much more evenly. i've heard of purple s&c making some people's hair grayi, ashy, or muddy. i use the shampoo about every 2 days so it hasn't been a big deal for me, but it does happen. however, i find it hardly ever happens with the matrix so silver.
~a toning mousse or rinse (like roux fanci-full). this stuff is easy to put in, and it really adds that extra boost of color.

hope this helped!
Before/After toning with Wella

oceanduck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oceanduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 12:23pm
Thank you! Gorgeous hair!! Did you use White Lady toner or Platinum blonde toner for the permanent toner?

I've tried Shimmer Lights shampoo, but it always makes my hair SO much dryer, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a purple shampoo or conditioner that works great for toning down brassiness and that doesn't dry out the hair?

Thanks!
asiabo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asiabo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2008 at 2:13pm
thanks! i've been sticking with white lady since it's violet rather than blue. seems to work better for me.

i feel like all purple shampoos make the hair drier. i think the key is in a) moderation and b) a really really good conditioner.
but i do have to say that so silver works and feels a lot better than shimmer lights. so you might try that!
Before/After toning with Wella

oceanduck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oceanduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2008 at 8:40am
thank you very much, I'll try the Matrix So Silver
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by asiabo asiabo wrote:

i tone every time i get my roots touched up with a permanent toner, 20 v. developer. after that i don't mess with the permanent because i don't' want to have to worry about my roots turning orange. been there, done that...

the key for me is in 3 things:
~semi-permanent toners (manic panic virgin snow, for example), which i can get on my roots and nothing happens
~purple shampoo or conditioner (like clairol shimmer lights or matrix so silver). i used to prefer the conditioner but i find that the shampoo covers much more evenly. i've heard of purple s&c making some people's hair grayi, ashy, or muddy. i use the shampoo about every 2 days so it hasn't been a big deal for me, but it does happen. however, i find it hardly ever happens with the matrix so silver.
~a toning mousse or rinse (like roux fanci-full). this stuff is easy to put in, and it really adds that extra boost of color.

hope this helped!

I do all of this! it really works and you prevent any further damage to your hair. I use Artec White Violet, Redken Glam Pearl, Shimmer Lights shampoo/conditioner and AG Toning conditioner. I love Roux rinses and mousses as well!

Don't use the 20 vol. toners more than once a month --- and ONLY on the roots. And use protein treatments on your blonde hair --- it will help in the health and tone of your hair.Smile
Love clip-ins and tape!
oceanduck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oceanduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 2:18pm
Thank you! What is AG Toning Conditioner, is "AG" the full name or short for something? Which would you say, out of the ones you mentioned (Artec, Redken, Shimmer Light, or AG) is the least drying or gives prettiest results?
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 4:53pm
AG Conditioner is a Canadian-based hair product. If you are in the U.S. you will find it at select salons. They have a conditioner that is actually called 'toning conditioner'; it's purple/violet when you look at it and it smells awesome!  It is the initials A.G.; not sure what that stands for! LOL

Now out of all the ones I listed (good question BTW)...geez..that's hard! I often alternate them week-by-week. Artec is the most expensive and it gives a very pretty platinum blonde if you leave it for the right amount of time. (I keep my conditioners on for up to an hour with heat). I also LOVE Shimmer Lights conditioner (cheaper), but I usually mix it with a deep conditoner that is not coloured because it's very intense --- it can leave purple stains (but then again I leave it for up to an hour!!!! LOL) Redken Glam Pearl is a light violet colour and won't stain your hair and smells like coconuts; it is one of the best conditioners since your hair really feels conditioned after using it.

Geez, I'm sorry I can't really choose! It just depends on your price point and how quickly you want to see results. Just about any toning conditioner will work if you bag it on your head and use heat on it. Sorry for the novel!Big%20smile
Love clip-ins and tape!
oceanduck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oceanduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 8:33pm
lol, now you made me want to buy all of them at once. I think the Redken is the one I may start with, thank you
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 11:40am
LOL Sorry about the confusion! haha. Redken is a great choice; you can't go wrong with it. Great deals on Ebay as well, if you go that route. Try to leave it on for more than 15 mins though --- get out of the shower and apply it. Even better if you aim a blowdryer at it and work it into the hair!
Love clip-ins and tape!
oceanduck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oceanduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2008 at 8:34pm
Thank you, you've been a Great help
Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2008 at 2:39pm
I get bleach foils every 6 weeks at the salon , they tone with silver shampoo & if I want the roots lightened a bit a tint 9 ash with 10vol on wet hair for 10-15 minutes.

After that I just use Keune's silver shampoo.
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 12:15pm
^^^Sounds like a break-the-base process Miffny. Must be gorgeous!
Love clip-ins and tape!
Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2008 at 12:41pm
It is saving my hair from torture Wink breaks the base just enough to see my darker hair but enough to lighten & cover my horrible greys I am thinking of just doing this until a lot of my hair has grown out as I really want to grow it longer.
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 11:38am
^^Totally know where you're coming from Miffney! That is a good way to save the hair -- more gentle I think. I'm trying to grow my hair too. I'm kind of doing an personal experiment to see how long I can grow it being mostly a fake bleached blonde! Seems to be going well so far *knock on wood*!!!! LOL
Love clip-ins and tape!
Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 5:21pm
fakeizme !! I hear you !!I think the key thing is to treat your gorgeous bleached blonde  (who will know Wink )with TLC & take a tape measure to the hairdresser when going for a trim !, I swear hairdressers love to chop off blonde hair especially if it looks amazing & I am a retired Hair Dresser I used to witness so much hair unnecessarily cut off, I would only ever take off what I was asked & if was damaged I'd ask first. I'm *knocking on wood for us *.

I'm thinking Sarah Jessica Parker hair at the moment -not as dark but the lighter version of mixed pale blondes & nice honey colours , may save my hair.

Good Luck :)

Edited by Miffny - June 03 2008 at 5:22pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic