Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

buzz cut?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ryo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: buzz cut?
    Posted: November 18 2002 at 2:42am
ah no one answer my question well ill try posting here.....

Ok im a guy and about 2 weeks ago my hair was cut and leaving maybe like 1-1.5 inch on the top and the sides are short since its buzzed.

I wanna have a buzz cut all over my head too and start all over with my hair and have it much better than it is now. I currently have short hair like 1 inch off the top but because of my hair`s dryness, baby and unstraight curly hair mostly at the front and center is it annoying. My hair is not in the worst condition because if you see me gel you`ll say it looks normal but i just want it be much better.

The thing is i want a buzz cut but i dont wanna have it completely bald and the scalp can be seen like a mile away . Just a good even and shorter cut all over my head, but then again i think that will look really strange because of my big ears (IMO lol) and i have a little scar which got it when i was little.

so i agree u need a good shape head and the right face to suit a buzz cut. And some people that have that look is good and others not, it just depends on their overall head appearance i guess.

sigh decisions and desicions...

also anyone know if the buzz cut process really helps your hair starting all over again and keeping it better? I keep thinking it will because my sides and back which i always get buzzed is always much better than my top compare to my center/front hair when it grows out.

Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2002 at 4:49pm
Hi, this is just my opinion, but I personally think the hair will look MUCH better if it`s tapered at the back and on the sides. If the hair is all the same length everywhere, the tendency is to look like a fuzzy peach all over instead of a nice haircut.

It sounds like you`re just unhappy with the haircut (oh, I can relate....). Personally, if I were you, I`d make sure to find a barber instead of a hair stylist. With all due respect to stylists, I can always tell when a man`s short hair has been cut by a stylist. A barber usually gives a much more masculine haircut (though, of course there are many exceptions; barbers can give whack jobs, too!).

The cut that you get won`t "help" the hair that grows out of your head. However, it just sounds like you either need much longer hair or much shorter, to avoid the medium length of curls that you get.

About your scar -- I wouldn`t let that be a factor at all. Nobody has a perfect head shape or perfect skin, and sometimes those little scars are what help make us unique!

Jennifer
Ryo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2002 at 8:00pm
Quote Hi, this is just my opinion, but I personally think the hair will look MUCH better if it`s tapered at the back and on the sides. If the hair is all the same length everywhere, the tendency is to look like a fuzzy peach all over instead of a nice haircut.

thx for the reply!

lol fuzzy peach, yeah i think i know what your mean. But when say tapered do you mean keeping the sides and back a little thinner than the top? That would good too...

Quote It sounds like you`re just unhappy with the haircut (oh, I can relate....). Personally, if I were you, I`d make sure to find a barber instead of a hair stylist. With all due respect to stylists, I can always tell when a man`s short hair has been cut by a stylist. A barber usually gives a much more masculine haircut (though, of course there are many exceptions; barbers can give whack jobs, too!).

Well the area i live in i dont see any barber shop i know of some hair salons but they dont have high quality stylists, and i stay away from those ones they tend to overcharge alot for just a boy style cut.

Quote The cut that you get won`t "help" the hair that grows out of your head. However, it just sounds like you either need much longer hair or much shorter, to avoid the medium length of curls that you get.

Ah seriously? I always though since my sides and back are buzzed all the time but not too deep, i though it would help the hair condition start over thus getting rid of frizzies/curliness etc. About the medium curls i do get some of it sometimes once it grows longer. I guess some people that have straight hair grown will always have it like that? So me getting rid of them with buzz cut they will eventually start to grow again and resort to what they used to be? I thought i didnt care for it enough thats why the bad condition and curls. And about your short and long hair statement yes i wanted it short first and when it grows out i have a little longer hair to do a different style but damn curls lol.

Quote About your scar -- I wouldn`t let that be a factor at all. Nobody has a perfect head shape or perfect skin, and sometimes those little scars are what help make us unique!

thx i just thought it would look awkard with that in and seeing it there since its more noticable having a buzz cut.
Ryo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2002 at 8:04pm
oh yeah when i had my hair cut the stylist said some of my hair was curly especially at the front and she said i can have it permed, but since my hair is cut is it like an 1inch why would she charge $50 to do the front only lol....

Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2002 at 8:16am
>>>But when say tapered do you mean keeping the sides and back a little thinner than the top?

Not thinner, but just shorter. Very generally, most short men`s styles are graduated up.

>>>Well the area i live in i dont see any barber shop i know of some hair salons but they dont have high quality stylists, and i stay away from those ones they tend to overcharge alot for just a boy style cut.

Do you cut your hair yourself?

>>>I always though since my sides and back are buzzed all the time but not too deep, i though it would help the hair condition start over thus getting rid of frizzies/curliness etc.

The hair is just short enough that it isn`t long enough to curl! The hair growing out of your head is not affected by the length.

>>>oh yeah when i had my hair cut the stylist said some of my hair was curly especially at the front and she said i can have it permed, but since my hair is cut is it like an 1inch why would she charge $50 to do the front only lol....

Ummm...why on earth would she suggest you put a perm in CURLY hair?! I`d stay away from someone who offers such unbrilliant advice!

Take care,

Jennifer
Ryo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2002 at 1:46am
Quote Not thinner, but just shorter. Very generally, most short men`s styles are graduated up

oops yeah i meant shorter so having a little less on the side and back than on the top is better. Just keep the top a litle longer is good?

Quote Do you cut your hair yourself?

ah lol i can never cut my own hair.. but i confused ya i do go to salons but not the high quality ones were they overcharge you.

Quote The hair is just short enough that it isn`t long enough to curl! The hair growing out of your head is not affected by the length.

ok but my sides and back dont curls though when they grow longer, mostly just the front and little from the top start to curl, some noticable and some not.

oh yeah i didnt get an answer to this so is this? here it is again...

"I guess some people that have straight hair grow out will always have it like that and dont have curly hairs to begin with? If not they probably might have gone to salons to perm/straighten/relax their hair straight?

So me getting rid mine with a buzz cut they will eventually start to grow again and resort to what they used to be with curls/frizz and such? I thought i didnt care for it enough thats why the bad condition and curls happened."

Quote Ummm...why on earth would she suggest you put a perm in CURLY hair?! I`d stay away from someone who offers such unbrilliant advice!

ahh ok i dont know much about hair knowledge/products except now trying to browse these forums and seeking more information and what ppl use. Anyway are perms mostly for longer hair styles? What would be an easy way to get rid of curls/frizz any techniques/products that would help?

and thx jen.
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2002 at 6:02pm
An interesting point you made, Jennifer. Are you saying that in some way stylists can wield the clippers differently to barbers? I would agree that a stylist probably has many more scissor tricks in their repertoire, but surely all you can do with clippers is wave them around? I know stylist joints who are charging the equivalent of $20 just to run the clippers round some guy`s head for about 5 minutes, which is why I always go to a barber. But am I missing something?
phil
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2002 at 8:58pm
Hi Ryo,

.>>>Just keep the top a litle longer is good?

In styling or cutting, there is no good or bad -- preferences are only our opinions! For my own personal taste in men`s hair, I do think that keeping the top a little longer is a bit more masculine than having every individual hair cut the same length.

>>>ok but my sides and back dont curls though when they grow longer, mostly just the front and little from the top start to curl, some noticable and some not.

Now that I think about it, different parts of my hair are kind of like that, too!

>>>So me getting rid mine with a buzz cut they will eventually start to grow again and resort to what they used to be with curls/frizz and such? I thought i didnt care for it enough thats why the bad condition and curls happened."

Since you get frequent haircuts, I kind of doubt your hair is in "bad" condition. Perhaps you mean "less desirable by you" condition? If the hair has a natural inclination to curl, then the longer the hair, the more curl!

>>>Anyway are perms mostly for longer hair styles?

Ever seen a grandma with a poodle perm?! If the hair is long enough to put on a rod (roller), then it`s long enough to perm! I`m guessing, though, that people with ultra-short hair probably don`t perm their hair much because it could be so expensive to maintain since the growth is so noticeable.

>>>What would be an easy way to get rid of curls/frizz any techniques/products that would help?

Sure, lots of different methods. After you wash your hair, you might put some styling gel on the hair that curls up and then blow it dry. Hold the wet hair the direction you want it to lay and then zap it with the blow dryer. Certainly, it`s true that with frequent use, a blow dryer can damage the hair. However, unless you have plans for a lot of growth, your hair will be cut before any damage occurs!

Jennifer
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2002 at 9:28pm
Hi Phil!

>>Are you saying that in some way stylists can wield the clippers differently to barbers?

Well, there is no inborn talent either direction. {grin} However, it`s been my experience that the training is a lot different. Stylists generally learn how to cut the hair of both sexes and today barbers do, as well, but I sincerely think that how stylists are trained to use clippers for a man`s haircut is different from how barbers are trained. Even if I`m wrong, I notice distinctly different cutting methods.

>>>I would agree that a stylist probably has many more scissor tricks in their repertoire, but surely all you can do with clippers is wave them around?

Oh no! The biggest difference is in tapering. It`s usually quite easy to see a line of demarcation in the back of a man`s head between where the hair was cut was scissors and where it was cut with clippers. A barber may also use both clippers and scissors, but generally, they blend MUCH better and it is impossible to tell where the "line" is.

Also, for some strange reason, stylists love to "block" the back. This is just my personal opinion, but I think it`s much more masculine for the back to be completely tapered up from wherever the hairline is. The perfect "block" in back is just a wee bit less masculine, in my opinion.

>>>I know stylist joints who are charging the equivalent of $20 just to run the clippers round some guy`s head for about 5 minutes, which is why I always go to a barber. But am I missing something?

Unless the stylist really is talented with clippers (and some are, to be certain!), then I don`t think it`s worth the extra price.

To see a difference between a salon cut and a barber cut, go to www.hairdos.com and look at haircuts #1223 (it`s both blocked AND you can see the line of demarcation) and #1192 (it`s in a perfectly straight, fussy little line in the back).

Now, go to http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/3696/Photos_tp5.html

Although the hair is much shorter, see how there is no straight, blocked line at the bottom? In my opinion, it`s simply a much more masculine look.

Jennifer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic