Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Highlighting short hair... cap or what?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
marie24601 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie24601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Highlighting short hair... cap or what?
    Posted: November 18 2002 at 7:55pm
I`m a dorm-room cosmetologist by all means :) but hey, I`ve yet to mess up TOO TOO badly on the "DIY dyes" (mostly because I jsut keep dying it dark brown or dark red and it`s pretty hard to mess that up :))

So anyway I`m bored with my now-medium brown hair and I want to streak it... I picked up Feria Colorstrands (the red streaking one) and I`m IFFY about using the "strander" comb on my short short hair...

Here`s the sitch- I had a short, spiky `do this summer and am in the process of growing it out... it`s about 4 inches long now (give or take) so if I want decent looking highlights, should I pull it through a cap or just be REALLY careful with the "strander" Feria gave me? I`m afraid I`ll look like a patchy skunk if I use the strander since my hair kind of piles on top of itself (damn layers)...

Anyway, I hope you all can offer some suggestions!
Thanks!
Rachel A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachel A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2002 at 9:40pm
Hmmm...I would use the cap to be safe. Good luck.
"Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"
marie24601 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie24601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2002 at 7:22pm
come on guys, surely SOMEONE has had a bad experience with one or the other they`d like to share ;)
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2002 at 10:14am
I don`t have any experience with the comb but have used the cap method numerous times without any disasters (screaming or crying). I like it because you choose not only where to put the highlights but also the width of the strands. I have done freehand highlighting on fairly short hair (no cap - just put the highlights where I wanted) and that turned out nice too.

I`m usually a bit conservative with highlights - better to be asked to add more than "what have you done?" - and usually put most of the highlights along the part and around the face (like the sun would do). I have also timed the highlights so they were lightest at the front and not so light as they go toward the rear. Very nice effect.

Best of luck with your highlighting. ;)
Merlin
karonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2002 at 11:06am
My stylist always use the cap. It allows you to pull out the streaks you want without it bleeding into other hair that you don`t want to be highlighted. The outcome is always satisfactory this way, in my opinion.
Natural since Nov 6, 2004
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic