Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Instructions: How I wash and Condition my units
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Instructions: How I wash and Condition my units

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Breh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Instructions: How I wash and Condition my units
    Posted: May 26 2008 at 7:19pm
First let me say sorry for the long postWink

I have finally figured out the easy way to wash, and condition my units. I figured this out after being literally up to my neck in lfs. LOL

You will need the following: 2 plastic 32 oz spray bottles, shampoo, conditioner, and spray hose used for washing hair (the kind you hook up to the faucet).

1. Take one of your plastic bottles and squeeze some shampoo in the bottle. I use Cream of Nature Detangling and Conditioning shampoo. It is very gentle and most of all sulfate free since sulfate can cause hair to dry out. Squeeze the shampoo in the bottle so that it covers the bottom of the bottle (about an inch). Fill the bottle up with hot water to dissolve the shampoo up to the fill line. Put the top back on the spray bottle and shake well to dissolve the shampoo.

2. Next, take your other empty spray bottle and get your conditioners. I got the following: Silicon Mix, Aussie 3 minute Miracle Reconstructor, and Lustra Silk's Cholesterol Conditioner: Shea Butter Mango, Olive Oil, and Aleo Vera. Take a spoon and scoop some of each conditioner into the empty spray bottle to cover the bottom of the bottle (about an inch to an inch and a half). Fill the bottle with hot water to dilute the conditioner to the fill line ).  Shake very well. You will have to shake for a long time to make sure all of the conditioner is dissolved.

Now proceed to washing your unit.

Always wash your unit on the wig head!!!!

1. Take your spray hose (the ones you hook up to the faucet) and rinse the unit really well. Take your shampoo spray bottle and spray the hair down with shampoo. Spray the hair only, not the knots.  Work into a lather making sure not to manipulate the hair in all kinds of directions. Rinse very well. Make sure to take the hose and rinse very well under the nape. Rinse until the water runs clear. Shampoo again depending on how dirty the hair is.

2.  Take conditioner bottle and spray the hair with the conditoner mixture, spray very well. Spray the hair only, not the knots. The mixture should be about the same consistency as milk, maybe a little thicker. Take a wide tooth comb and comb the hair from the tips to the roots to distribute the conditioner. Place your unit in a plastic bag and then proceed with deep conditioning.

I take my units and wrap place them in a heating pad on low heat for about an hour or up depending on the hair. I no longer nuke my units in the microwave. Think about it, the microwave can burn food for short periods of time so I stopped doing this. The heating pads heat is more gentle and will not burn.

After the deep conditioning in the heating pad, place the unit back on the wig head and rinse. Rinse really well until the water turns clear. Make sure to rinse the nape very well. Style the hair and let air dry.

What I have found is diluting the conditioner does not decrease how the conditioner works and it also reduces the amount of build up that is left on the hair. We all know that certain conditioners leave lots of build up on the hair even after you have rinsed forever, and build up can lead to tangles.
No weapon formed against me shall prosper.

www.brehshouseoflacewigs.com
email:info@brehshouseoflacewigs.
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 7:44pm
YES YES i'm always screaming wash on the wig head, and people can have more control over the tangling.. great advice and its similar to what i do, sometimes i don't always do the heating but i do when its necessary.. Clap
NClady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NClady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 7:50pm
You are so right about diluting the conditioner....that is a must..
Bangles and Stilettos
zelliboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zelliboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 12:04am
Thanks....airhorn
Lacygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lacygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 6:53am
Thanks Breh, you never cease to amaze me
Remeber to tell your children you love them. You might not have that chance tommorow..
PrincessLF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessLF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2008 at 7:09am
Great tips.  Thanks Breh and I love your website.Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic