Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CA Cosmo Board rules for unlicensed extensionists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CA Cosmo Board rules for unlicensed extensionists

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Cosmo Board rules for unlicensed extensionists
    Posted: June 13 2008 at 12:15am
I have been contacted by several non licensed people about having me teach them to do hair extensions, since I've been giving a few classes here and there. 

I know the that the idea of doing hair extensions without a license is a controversial subject and the CA State Board of Cosmetology is not really clear in their rules and regulations about what they allow or disallow.  So I sent them an email and here's the response:

Thank you for contacting the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology.  Thank you for your patience in our response.  The only time a person can provide services such as extensions without a license would be if the extensions did not involve chemicals.

In other words: if the extension is attached by a clip or a form of weaving without the use of an adhesive, the person would not need a license.  If there is the use of chemicals or adhesives, the person does need a license.

Board of Barbering and Cosmetology
2420 Del Paso Road, Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95834
Telephone: (916) 574-7570
Toll free: (800) 952-5210
E-mail: barbercosmo@dca.ca.gov
Web site:  http://www.barbercosmo.ca.gov

Edited by metalgirl - June 13 2008 at 12:21am
mokipono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mokipono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 12:43am
Hi Metal,
Thanks for the update on the rules and regulations. I was wondering if and when the State Board was going to jump on this...
I always thought that working on someone else's head required a license. After reading their rules, I can see it is about chemical applications.

Edited by mokipono - June 13 2008 at 12:50am
Shirilyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shirilyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 10:14pm
I didn't even know you didn't need an instructor license to teach classes here in Texas.
http://www.myspace.com/texashairextensionqueen
Sofiaone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sofiaone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2008 at 2:33pm
so based on this reply, it seems that someone doesn't need a license if they are doing locks, microrings, sewins, or pinchbraids. But if you do strand by strand with glue, keratin, or tape wefts then you need a license??
mokipono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mokipono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2008 at 1:41am

Hi Shirilyn....

No teachers license needed in Hawaii either. But, a full Cosmetologist license is required.

metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2008 at 10:22am

I don't know if teachers need a license in CA, that's not what I was asking them about.  I was asking what hair extension services can be performed by someone unlicensed in exchange for payment.

Sofiaone, that's what it sounds like the State Board of CA says that someone can do legally without a license, braiding, weaving, and micro rings.  I think shrink links would be considered an adhesive.

The State Board didn't really addres my second part of the question though.  I asked them in a unlicensed person can even work in a salon doing hair extensions services.  Normally the State Board inspects salons and believe me, they check to make sure everyone working there has a current license on display at their work station, so I don't know how a unlicensed person would get around that.   I have endured plenty of State Board inspections and usually they are looking at everything with a fine tooth comb.  They want to find violations so they can fine the person or the salon and get revenue for the state.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic