Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ash Blonde Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sheligirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheligirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ash Blonde Questions
    Posted: June 16 2008 at 11:52am

Hi,

I have a color dilemma I need help with.  I did a color removal using L’Oreal Color Zap.  This brought my hair up to an orange color with previous blonde highlights.  I put Wella Color Charm Permanent in 12P on to try to cut some orange, it did but now I’m kinda goldish orange depending on the light, level 7 - 8.  I would like to try to get to an ash blonde 8A.  I am trying to decide at this point should I bleach and then add color, or remove the current pigment and try a high lift blonde.  I have read on this site that you can’t get to a true ash blonde without bleach though.  One other scenario I am thinking of, adding a darker base underneath and then highlighting the top.  But the problem with that is I would still have some of this gold orange showing, unless I pull up the highlights and color everything darker.  Also, I’m afraid of it going too dark, a test strand I did on my current color using Wella Color Charm 8A went to probably a level 5.   Any thoughts or advice?  My head is starting to spin trying to figure out what to do.Smile

Thanks very much!

Michelle     

Edited by sheligirl - June 16 2008 at 11:52am
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2008 at 12:40pm
Hey sheligirl;

I am not sure what you're natural level is, but I'm guessing if you used a 12P on your orange colour-stripped hair and only reached a level 7-8, you must have been at about a level 4 or 5? If you are currently at a level 7 or 8, orangy blonde, you could use a deposit-only ash blonde to tone it down, but it will look darker (like a 6). If you want to be a true ash level 8, then, you should use Color Zap again, remove what you just deposited on your hair and bleach up to a level 9. Then you could use a semi or demi in a neutral tone to bring it to 8. Keep in mind, that after lifting colour, your hair is very porous, so any process you do to it after (toning) will take very deep (absorb) and go darker. You should always prepare for this by toning one level lighter than you want to go (so you would use a level 9 to tone your pre-lightened hair). Don't use a violet/ash toner as it will probably look purple or blue! Also, you may want to spray a light leave-in conditioner on all of your hair before you tone (after you bleach/lighten) so your hair does not absorb the colour too much. HTH!Tongue
Love clip-ins and tape!
sheligirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheligirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2008 at 3:28pm

Hey fakeizme!

Oh you are so good!  My natural level IS a 4 – 5, I haven’t seen it for a very long time though, other than a smidge of roots.  And thanks so much for your response, my head has finally quit spinning. Clap  I’m still debating on what to do, but at least my options are clear in my head now, that helps so much.  I’ve done a couple of test strands using Color Zap, bleach and a demi, but can’t find an ash tone that I really like, so now I’m concerned that if I bleach it, I’ll end up disappointed with the final color.  I am wondering now if maybe a true ash blonde might be better for just highlights for me.  I am going to try a test strand using a demi on top of what I have now tonight and see how dark that gets (I can’t wait to get home from work).  I am also looking into the Redken Shades EQ, they sound very fun in the Titanium Shades and there are tons of colors.  It sounds like you can play with tones as they wash out in 4 or so weeks (hopefully).  Their site says they are used to glaze, refresh or correct natural or color-treated hair.  Anyways, thanks again for your help and have a great weekend!!!

Edited by sheligirl - June 20 2008 at 3:31pm
sheligirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheligirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2008 at 12:52am
oh fakeizme I just uncovered my hair and I absolutely LOVE it!!!  I did a test strand earlier using a demi and too dark.  So I pulled out the Color Zap and it actually came out to a very light orange with pale blond roots.  I'm pretty sure there is some bleach in Color Zap as it did lighten my level 4-5 roots to a very pretty pale blonde.  Anyways, I still wasn't sure I wanted to bleach at this point to get rid of the orange, but was nervous my hair would be so porous that I would end up dark again with a demi, right where I started this whole thing almost two months ago.  Another test strand using Wella Color Charm Demi 10NA, nothing.  Another test strand using Wella Color Charm Demi 8A, perfect.  Still nervous though, I covered the orange first, let it sit for 10 minutes and then covered the blonde and left for five more.  Then rinsed and used Wella In-Depth and then conditioned.  I didn't take the towel off for a half an hour, I was almost afraid to look, but PERFECT, exactly the ash blonde I wanted.  I am just so excited I had to tell you!  Again thanks so much for your help in this, couldn't have done it without you. Thumbs%20Up  I'm just hoping now that it doesn't fade too quickly.Wink
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2008 at 6:24pm
Clap Yay!!!!

Sheli: that is awesome! You did it on your own and did the best thing by test stranding. That is great. You avoided a lot of hassle by doing that. also, you did not give up after the first two tries! What a trooper!!!LOL

I'm so happy the 8A worked and that the Color Zap got you up to a decent level. Maybe you're right about it having bleach? Not sure myself.

You are so sweet -- making me feel like I actually helped! haha. So glad I was able to assist you though. Woopee!!!! I feel like it was my own hair!LOL
Love clip-ins and tape!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic