Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Style Decisions / Hair Clip Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Iulia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iulia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Style Decisions / Hair Clip Help
    Posted: December 04 2002 at 6:19pm
Hello. I’m new to this forum; found it because I was looking for some help/advice.

I have knee-length hair right now, and... well, after 10 years of growing it out, it’s time for a change. Especially because my lifestyle changed from moderately active to daily cardio workouts that leave me – and my hair – quite sweaty. I just don’t have the time to properly maintain it anymore, so I’m looking to get it cut short.

And yes, before anyone starts raving about Locks of Love, I have heard of it... but I think I actually want to keep my tail for myself. Maybe I’m selfish, but I volunteer other things – like my time and money – to enough charities, and I’m a little bit attached to the stuff that’s been on my head for a decade now. I’d like to get my tail made into one of those clip-on hair things I’ve heard about, for those formal/special occasions when a fancy updo would be appropriate.

Which brings me to my first question: Would anyone know of someplace that would make a clip out of my hair for me? I’ve been searching the net, but all I could find are sites that would design custom wigs from hair you bought from them. Which completely defeats my purpose of wanting to keep my own hair in a usable fashion.

My second question is: Could anyone recommend a relatively low-maintenance short hairstyle? Something that I could just brush-and-go in the mornings. I suppose I could post some pictures of myself if those would be useful... let me know.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! I’m looking forward to hearing a few responses. =)

-Iulia

turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2002 at 10:34pm
yes, please do post pictures if you have them... and describe your hair: texture, etc. so that we can suggest good short cuts that go with that kind of hair:)
PS: i am very jealous of your long hair:) i would love for my hair to be long like that
Iulia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iulia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2002 at 3:30pm
http://www.geocities.com/sryshti/hair-pics1.txt">

http://www.geocities.com/sryshti/hair-pics2.txt">

The texture is typical asian indian -- straight (it`s wavy in the pic because I keep it braided most of the time), relatively fine, medium volume, with a few little frizzes. =P
wozziewoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wozziewoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2002 at 4:40pm
Hi, let me start by saying you are a very beautiful woman, with a great face, & you really don`t need that much hair. But oh, wow how long it is. As far as your first question goes, I`m sorry but I really can`t help you there. About the second question, how short do you want to go. With someone with hair as long as yours, you might consider, shoulder length, or even a little longer, as short, where as many others would not. If you are really serious about wanting to go short, I suggest really going for it, & going all the way. I think you would look nice with an angled facing bob, at around ear length. I think you have nice facial features & should get a cut that will help accent them. I hope this has been a little of a help & will try to help better later. Feel free to contact me any time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2002 at 8:04pm
oh my goodness, thanks for posting those pictures! you are gorgeous as well as your hair! since you want to cut your hair, the one thing i would suggest(if you decide not to make it in to a clip) would be to cut a little at a time unless you are positive that you want it short... ladies come on here all the time after cutting their long locks and wonder why in the world they did it. cutting a couple inches at a time allows you to stop if you don`t really like it. anyways, i`m sure you would look beautiful with just about any haircut! if you do go for the cut, please post pics of that too!:)
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2002 at 1:45am
Hi! Wow, you have a lot of hair! :) I agree with Turquoise Girl (above)- maybe you should cut it a little at a time....its tempting to go ahead and cut it all at once, but that`s a really big step (Plus, your hair is really pretty long). There are lots of great looks in between where its at now and an out-and-out short look. As far as short looks go, you could wear just about anything between your shoulders and chin length, or even shorter if you really want (you have a pretty face, too, and could pull it off :))
One suggestion; One of the girls in my dance class is Indian, and has hair similar to yours. She keeps it just above her shoulders, with very subtle layers around her face and along the bottom of her hair. She uses some kind of product to make it very sleek and straight, and it looks great, especially on jet-black hair like yours. That would probably work for you...just an idea.
Anyway, all the best of luck to you finding your new look, and I hope that you love whatever style you decide on.

Lotsa Love,
Ingrid :) :)
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2002 at 5:50am
hi,

Your hair is absolutely gorgeous....but in my humble opinion, the length takes attention away from your beautiful face. I agree with those who say, take it slow. You will miss being able to wear it up and stuff. I think a bra strap lengths would be just as easy to take care of as short....maybe some layers like Courtney Cox from friends. I went from really long to really short and although I loved how easy it was to care for, I didn`t feel very beautiful or sexy with it that way......This is just me, you may feel different - just wanted to share the experience.

Your hair looks about the same density and texture as Courtney`s. I am currently growing mine out and it is at shoulder length in back with chin length bangs and lots of choppy layers from the chin to the back. It is a lot of fun right now as I can wear it up for the gym - I go every day. Then I come home and wash it and let it air dry for an hour. Then I put silicone shine in it and blow dry the ends for about two minutes and it looks good. I am growing it out though.
Good luck and enjoy the change! Also wanted to suggest you go to your local hair cutting school, they might be able to tell you who weaves hair into clips. Also a wig shop might know. Call a few in your town and see if they can do it or know who can. Also some salons that do hair extensions might be able to do it.

Take care.
Iulia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iulia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2002 at 7:53pm
Hey everybody, thanks for the advice! ^_^ It`s really reassuring that you think I can pull off a short style.

I think I`ve figured out how to keep it, for now... I think I`m just going to put elasticbands on both ends of the braid, so that when it gets cut off I`m left with what`s apparently called a switch. As long I have hair long enough to make a lil ponytail out of it, I should be able to pin on the "switch" if I want to put it up.

I know it`s risky to chop it all off at once, but I think I`m going to, just so that I can keep it. As for feeling beautiful or sexy, well, I`m not looking to attract any new guys -- and the one I`m with agrees with all of you that I`d look fine with short hair. He cares more about who I am than how I look... ^_^

Oh, and I`m sure once I cut it off I`ll find a million things about the new style annoying/aggravating. It`ll take some getting used to, I think, but I`m prepared for that.

I`ll just be happy to, like you said, hairalways, be able to go to the gym everyday and wash my hair out afterwards and have it dry in a reasonable amount of time.

And sure, Turquoise Girl, I`ll post pics once I get it done -- as long as my roomie`s webcam cooperates with me. =)
Iulia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iulia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2003 at 7:20pm
http://www.geocities.com/sryshti/remote/haircut_01.txt">
http://www.geocities.com/sryshti/remote/haircut_02.txt">
http://www.geocities.com/sryshti/remote/haircut_03.txt"

sorry it took me so long, been busy and just got access to a webcam. ^_^
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2003 at 8:15pm
Wow Iulia! What an incredible transition from kneelength hair to your present relatively short cut! You look great! A very flattering style on you!
I actually think it is an improvement!

I went through something very similar a little over a year ago. I had waist length hair and I went first to a bob about as long as yours is, and then to a very short pixie cut, which is how I wear it now.

Isn`t it so much easier to take care of?!!!!!!!

After I adjusted to my short style I actually like it better. And I dress more feminine and wear more jewelry since I have gotten it cut short. ( I always wear two pairs of earrings and a nosestud, I have a pierced nostril like you have).
My fiancee loves my short haired look as well. I think the look does flatter me!

You look wonderful,chic and very feminine Iulia, congratulations on your decision! Best of luck!
Lady Maria
Rachel A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachel A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2003 at 9:23pm
You look great, Julia! I think your new length actually brings out your features so much more. That is quiet a makeover...very pretty.
"Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"
DANIA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2003 at 3:54pm
WOW! Julia, you look a lot better now. Regardless of what length your hair was/is, you, yourself are a very beautiful looking person. Your hair, however, being how long it was, didn`t suit you. I think it was too long! Still, I think this new length is still not going to work for you. I think the length is either still long that it will still come into your face when you go to the gym. I am not sure if you are able to pull your hair back into a ponytail as this will prevent your hair from annoying you when you go to the gym or even a shorter length style can do the same. I don`t know what your plans are but even getting a pixie cut can prevent your hair from getting in the way when you go to the gym.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2003 at 5:14pm
Hi Iulia! What a wonderful change for you. The bob style really brings out your lovely face more than the long hair, and you can probably still pull most of it off your face when you want. You must get lots of compliments. Tell us, how do you like it? (You look happy, so can we safely assume you`re liking it?)

:-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2003 at 7:16pm
you look wonderful- but then again, i think you have the kind of face that could pull off practically anything! its gorgeous! hope you like it!
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2003 at 2:35am
WOW! It looks great! How do YOU like it? Must be pretty strange for you...it really, really looks good, tho. Congrats on your new look and having the guts to go through with such a dramatic change. :) :)

Lotsa Love,
Ingrid:)
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2003 at 7:16am
WOW, Fantastic, Incredable.... spectacular...and many more! What a great change. Hope you love it as much as we all do.
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2003 at 10:37am
Julia - It looks fantastic....the length is just right as far as the way it accents you chin and cheekbones.
How do you feel after a few weeks with it? does it feel more "you"? as far as personality?

jacqui
wozziewoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wozziewoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2003 at 5:36pm
Hey, your haircut looks great! Do you like the new style? Have you gotten used to it yet? How long ago did you get it cut? What were the reactions of your friends & family? How much did you wind up cutting off? Looks like a couple of feet. Did you get the clip made that you wanted? What do you paln to do now? Gonna keep it this way for a while?
Savage Gardener View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Savage Gardener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2003 at 4:21pm
Woah, you`re certainly brave. I`ve never met anyone with hair that long, and to go so short... I really admire your courage! You look fantastic with your new do - not that you didn`t before, it`s just such an incredible transformation! You go girl! :P

Metal man View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metal man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2003 at 5:05pm
Wow! You one hot Hindu woman Iulia.
You looked fine with the long hair but you even cuter with the shorter cut. You a fine woman!
The Metal man digs those pretty ladies from India....
You dig Rock n`roll , HIndu sis?
Cause the Metal man can dig your nice stuff!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic