Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long term effects of coffee/tea dye?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jonobie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long term effects of coffee/tea dye?
    Posted: December 09 2002 at 8:19pm
Does anyone know of any long term effects of darkening one`s hair with coffee or tea? I have a year-old highlighting job that`s growing out, and I like the slight darkening/evening effect that I get from rinsing my hair with coffee and tea.

But, I`m curious if there are any long term effects - such as drying the hair, lightening the hair under the dye because of the acidic nature of coffee, or anything else. Anyone know?

Thanks,
Jonobie
turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2002 at 8:08pm
well, i`m sorry to say that i don`t know the long term effects but only because i have never heard of doing this to your hair. what do you do? is it permanent or temporary? is it just like a mild effect that turns your hair a rich dark brown?
Jonobie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2002 at 2:52pm
It`s a temporary effect that lasts through approximately 2-4 washes. It`s reasonably mild; my hair darkened maybe a shade. I think it brought out some dark reddish lowlights, too, but I`m not sure. (I used a coffee and tea mix, and tea is supposed to bring out a more chestnut color.)

I`ve got some on my hair right now, and I *really* like it, especially for the winter; my old highlights had gotten somewhat too light, and this somewhat evens out the color and warms up and depends the color overall. My main concern is whether I can keep pouring it on my hair without any adverse effects. :^)

Cheers,
Jonobie

mitzu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2003 at 8:15pm
Does coffee really work as a dye for dark hair? If so, how do you do it? Do you mix it with conditioner and leave it in your hair? I have brown hair with old highlights and I would love to tone down the color without having to use a commercial hair dye.
Rachel A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachel A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2003 at 11:13pm
OK...I`m curious too. I`ve never heard of this before. How do you apply/mix it?
"Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"
mitzu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2003 at 6:08am
Well I tried mixing a cup of instant coffee (black - (Nescafe) and then I put conditioner in it and stirred and put it through my hair and left it there overnight. At first I liked it. It definitely changed the color -- but then I found it a little too reddish. The Nescafe is a bit light so if I would try it again, I`d use a really dark coffee -- like expresso.
Jonobie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2003 at 11:26am
Originally posted by mitzu mitzu wrote:

Does coffee really work as a dye for dark hair? If so, how do you do it? Do you mix it with conditioner and leave it in your hair? I have brown hair with old highlights and I would love to tone down the color without having to use a commercial hair dye.

++Does coffee really work as a dye for dark hair?++

It does; if you do a search on "dye coffee" or "dye tea" you`ll get some specific recipes. At the most basic, though, it`s very easy -- brew up double or triple-strength coffee and pour through your hair a couple of times after shampooing. You can either leave it in or rinse until the water runs clear. If you leave it in -- use a dark towel to blot your hair afterwards! :)

I found it to work well for covering up old highlights and evening out the entire color. I used a mix of dark coffee and two tea bags (tea supposedly brings out the reddish highlights).

Cheers,
Jonobie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic