Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Light blonde to dark blonde UPDATE: pics!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vixen12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vixen12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light blonde to dark blonde UPDATE: pics!
    Posted: June 29 2008 at 1:29pm
Well, I finally did my color! I mixed the Colorgloss 8GB and 6GB 50/50 with clear and it came out a lovely shade of medium blonde, exactly what I had in mind. BUT a crazy thing happened, and after I did the initial color I spontaneously decided that I wanted to go even DARKER. So I reapplied the 6GB by itself (no clear) and now my hair is a gorgeous warm light brown color. It's very close to my natural color, although it's a bit warmer, and it camouflages my roots pretty well. The best part is that I can still see my old highlights shimmering through, so even though I'm nolonger blonde it's got a bit of a blonde feel to it. I'm loving it!

(Sorry for the crappy pics, I don't have a real camera so I have to use Photo Booth)

After months of careful consideration, I have decided to add some color back to my pale blonde (almost platinum) hair.  I LOVE the light blonde, but it's too high maintenance and I feel like it sometimes washes me out.  Currently, my hair is a level 10 (ash) and I'm looking to go to a level 7.I have consulted with my hair dresser, who is excellent.  She knows that I do my own bleaching and toning and she thinks I should be able to do the color myself, as I'm a broke college student and she says it would be considered "corrective color" and would be quite expensive if I were to have her do it.  I'm also planning to let my hair grow out, so she encouraged me to chop it off one more time to get rid of the old overproccessed blonde (which is what we did, it is now VERY short).  So the plan is to "start over", adding some color and growing it out.  I will most likely have my hair dresser add some highlights and/or lowlights once I'm happy with the base color.I'm looking for some recommendations  on what products  I should use.  I won't be doing the color for a month or so,  and my hair dresser suggested that I start preparing my hair by using something to help with porosity.  I'll be going to Sally's.  Any specific recs?  I'm also not sure what I should use for the color.  From what I understand, I should go for a warm dark blonde to counteract the ash that's currently in my hair.  Should I use permanent or semi?  I've always used Wella for my bleach and toner, but I would be open to using any brand.  Suggestions?Thanks in advance for your help, and sorry that was so long!  :)

Edited by vixen12 - July 31 2008 at 7:28pm
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 2:21pm
Vixen, I am also platinum and have thought about going darker too! Tongue I like to put some contrast in my hair currently, by going darker on the bottom/underneath area of my head and maintaining the light on the top. I think your hairdresser sounds great. The idea of going with highlights/lowlights is awesome! Remember, though, to go slowly and only put a few level 7 lowlights in your hair to start by youself because it will look too dark to you after all those years being light!

OK, another great suggestion: correct your porosity. I do this every week. You need to get a good protein treatment (Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair, Nexxus Emergencee, Sebastian penetraitt, Grund Tiger Reconstructor --- a few good ones) AND a good moisturizing deep conditioner like Redken's heavy cream or even herbal Essences Hello Hydration. Do the treatments back to back. so, do the protein treatment with heat, then rinse out and immediately follow that with the moisturizing conditioner. if you do this every week, your hair will be healthier and not as porous.

For colour --- get a semi or demi colour (low peroxide) so you are only depositing colour. You want something with some warmth in it as well as neutral, so say, a medium neutral blonde or light golden brown would be good choices. When you go darker, the colour usually takes drab and dark, so you always want to stay a bit lighter than you think you need to go. Spray your light pieces with leave-in spray and THEN colour them so they colour evenly and not too dark.

I hope it works out well. You should really be happy about having such a great hairdresser; they almost never advise you to do your own hair! LOL

Edited by fakeizme - June 30 2008 at 2:22pm
Love clip-ins and tape!
vixen12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vixen12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2008 at 5:22pm
Fakeizme, thanks so much for your thorough reply!  I have read your helpful responses to other people's questions and I was hoping you might respond to mine :)

I will definitely purchase one of the protein treatments you suggested as well as the Redken heavy cream.  For color, is there a specific brand that you recommend?  I was looking at Redken Shades EQ (which I've heard lots of great things about!).  Are you familiar with this line at all?  There is a color chart here: kellyholmes.net/Kelly/Redken_shades_eq.pdf  I like the look of 06G St. Tropez and 07NB Chestnut.  Do you think either of these colors would work?  I don't really want a lot of good, although I don't mind a little warmth.  I just don't want my hair to turn green!

Sorry for the additional questions, but you seem so full of knowledge :)

Thanks!

Nikki

Edited by vixen12 - July 01 2008 at 9:46pm
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by vixen12 vixen12 wrote:

Fakeizme, thanks so much for your thorough reply!  I have read your helpful responses to other people's questions and I was hoping you might respond to mine :)

I will definitely purchase one of the protein treatments you suggested as well as the Redken heavy cream.  For color, is there a specific brand that you recommend?  I was looking at Redken Shades EQ (which I've heard lots of great things about!).  Are you familiar with this line at all?  There is a color chart here: kellyholmes.net/Kelly/Redken_shades_eq.pdf  I like the look of 06G St. Tropez and 07NB Chestnut.  Do you think either of these colors would work?  I don't really want a lot of good, although I don't mind a little warmth.  I just don't want my hair to turn green!

Sorry for the additional questions, but you seem so full of knowledge :)

Thanks!

Nikki

Nikki, I'm so sorry I am just seeing this!SmileConfused

OK, I LOVE those colours in the Redken Shades EQ; thanks for providing that chart! Honestly, I think either or both of those shades would work, BUT, you should mix them with clear, at least 1/2 and 1/2. Anything lower than Level 9 (I believe I have read somewhere) can go quite dark the longer you leave it. You really have to watch them! Redken Shades is very good. There's also Color Sync and Radiance Colorgloss.

It difficult to make lowlights look too warm since bleached hair has a tendency to grab drab! Dont worry about golden tones. I also don't think your hair will go green since you are not depositing blue on top of yellow. Just use a good leave-in spray conditioner (like Instacure) before you start. HTH!
Love clip-ins and tape!
vixen12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vixen12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 9:31pm
Hi Fakeizme,

Thanks for your help!  I purchased the Emergencee and used it for the first time last week, and have also been using the Heavy Cream.  My hair is so soft and silky!  I think I'm going to use the Emergencee one more time before I color, and continue using the Heavy Cream.

I've been trying to get the Redken Shades EQ, because that's my first choice for color, but the only place I can seem to find it is Ebay.  There's not a whole lot available on Ebay and with shipping costs, it's a bit more expensive than I'd like.  So I ended up picking up some Clairol Raidance Color Gloss at Sally's today.  I got 8GB Light Golden-Beige Blonde and 6GB Dark Golden-Beige Blonde  (they don't have a 7GB).  I also got some clear and will definitely be mixing the color 50/50 with the clear.  Does this formula sound right to you?  I'd really like to do a strand test, but my hair is quite short and I don't think I could cut off a piece without it being noticeable.

I'm sure it will be fine, but I'll feel much better if you confirm it for me :)

Thank you!

Nikki
sheligirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheligirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2008 at 9:53pm
Hi Vixen,
This is so funny, I just did something very similar last weekend so had to respond.  Fakeizme helped me when I was stripping my hair from a dark color and trying to get to an 8 ash blonde.  She is just awesome and so helpful!!!  Well, I finally ened up bleaching twice and adding a demi 8N.  My hair is very porous so it was very light with some areas pretty much white and some very light orangey from mid-length to the ends.  I didn't want to bleach again as I was getting a little breakage.  I decided to get several inches cut off, so like you don't have anything to cut off for a test strand.  I decided it was just too white looking and wanted to get some color back in.  I really wanted to use the Redken Shades EQ, but don't have access to them so ended up buying Clairol Color Radiance in 10GB and 8GB which make a 9GB when mixing.  I read to  go a shade lighter than you want when tinting back, lots of information on clairolpro.com.  I also purchased a Wella Clolor Charm Demi in 8N to put on after.  Well, I actually loved the way the 10GB and 8GB mixed equally came out, just a really nice golden beige blonde, not yellow like I was anticipating.  I didn't end up using the Wella demi (yet) as I'm really liking this color for now.  I did end up doing a test strand, still attached but underneath, with the demi to see what it looked like.  First it was a very "loud" purple, but I neutralied that with some 8GB and it came out a very pretty light/medium blonde, I think what I was actually aiming for in the first place.  I have in the meantime ordered some Redken Shades EQ and Color Fusion off of extendedlengths.com, shipping isn't cheap, but I've been dying to try the Shades and I'm still way ahead of coloring at a salon, plus I have been having a blast and learning a ton.  And having support from great people like fakeizme is soooo nice and comforting.  Clap  Good luck with your hair endeavors, hope it works out well and hope this helps a bit.  Michelle
vixen12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vixen12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2008 at 11:09pm
Hi Michelle, thanks for responding!  You're right, it sounds like our situations are eerily similar - too funny!  The color that you ended up with sounds very pretty.  I'm looking to go a shade or two darker than what you have, so I'm thinking that my color choices will work out well.  I LOVE my blonde hair and I'm so nervous to mess with it, but at the same time I'm very excited to try something a little bit different!  I appreciate you telling me about your positive experience with the Radiance, it makes me feel more confident about using it!  Good luck with the Shades.  I've heard nothing but positive things about that line and I'm sure one of these days I'll get my hands on it.

Thanks again!  :)

Nikki

sheligirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheligirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2008 at 9:59am

Hi Nikki,

I think you’re right, the colors you are using should definitely get you a shade or two darker as what I got was the level I was aiming for.  And I definitely know what you mean about being nervous and excited…  I’ve always been some form of blonde, either bleaching or lots of highlights and every once in awhile I just have to try a dark color and enjoy that for a couple of months, but then want to be blonde again…  It sure is nice your stylist supports your coloring.  Any stylist I talk to acts like I’m a leper or something.  :-)  Happy coloring and have a great weekend!!!

Michelle
vixen12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vixen12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 7:30pm
updated with pics!
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2008 at 12:14pm
OK, I'm so mad that I missed a lot of this thread!AngryLOL

First, let me say, I am humbled and blushing with the kind comments you guys gave me! Was not at all expecting that -- made my Friday!!!Big%20smileEmbarrassed

Second, I can't believe how well you guys took any advice given and experimented with it! Right on. You have both turned into little professional colourists. I think that's great!

Third, Vixen...you are a little vixen!! LOL So cute. You really suit both of those colours! Great job on the brown colour --- it's gorgeous!!!!Tongue I would love to have lowlights like that. I'm going to write down your formula for future reference. I'm so glad that the Radiance didn't go too dark on you. AND, how awesome that you bought and are USING the Nexxus Emergencee and the Heavy Cream! Your hair will thank you for it. Big%20smile I have to say, I loved your blonde as well. Looked really well done and natural.

OMG...I feel like a proud Mama!!!LOL
Love clip-ins and tape!
enaros View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enaros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 12:55pm
i know this is old but i really want to get vixen 12 hair color my hair color is bleached blonde like her so i am lookin for same hair color with any other option i cant get redken or clairol for some reason hard to find here so please come with any other solution thanks

i use redken and kerastase hair care btw
Ena
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic