Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

College or apprenticeship

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
anitabix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anitabix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: College or apprenticeship
    Posted: July 19 2008 at 1:55pm
Hello,

My daughter went for her first interveiw for an apprenticeship this afternoon and was in tears.She was told that unless she got an apprenticeship no hairdressing salon would take her on, salons never employed anyone that was college trained. She has already been accepted by a salon for 1 day a week placement with full time at college on a hair and beauty course.
Is this the case or was the salon wrong to tell her that.

hairboy29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairboy29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 12:09pm
hi

well good luck to everybody that wants a career in hairdressing but what can i say i am suffering from stress and working to hard and when i go home from a hard day as a computer student i feel like totally bad.

i am also suffering from hunger pains and stuff to do with food. i am sure i am not the only one out there that feels like that.
rikky doig
hairboy29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairboy29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 12:11pm
i must say that i felt nervous that my name is on this but as its important
rikky doig
hairboy29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairboy29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 12:11pm
i am currently living on my own in scotland
rikky doig
hairboy29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairboy29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 12:12pm
and i am single from scotland age 25
rikky doig
hairboy29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairboy29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 12:13pm
i am sorry there is no pictures of me on this web page
rikky doig
hairboy29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairboy29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 12:14pm
so i guess what i am looking for is a bit of a chat about how us hard working males get on in the world without talking to anybody .

i dont really get out much and i am able to do a lot with computers
rikky doig
hairboy29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairboy29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 12:16pm

i just wanted to look a bit different with the blonde hair

rikky doig
ShadesOf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShadesOf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2009 at 5:58am
Hi I have worked in the industry and now own my own salon ... in answer to your question I would say this:

The majority of collages only teach their students enough to pass the course (I am collage trained myself so I have no bias against collages), and so a salon looking at new staff will have reservations at taking on a newly 'qualified' person from a collage.

Apprenticeships, it is my veiw that some salons treat apprentices as a cheap labourforce to junior for the stylists, and that after the apprenticeship there is no position for them to stay on.

This is purely my veiwpoint, and certainly it is not the case across the industry. However the industry is very cut throat in that unless your daughter has a passion and drive to succeed within it, the likelyhood will be that she will not. I suppose it is the industries natural way of weeding out those that do not care or have that spark to succeed.

In short there is no easy answer to which way is better, and each salon owner will have their own veiw point too. Personally I would like to think that a new stylist (or even junior member) firstly has to fit in with the salon team, and also be willing to work to that standard or improve their standards to at least match them.

My personal thoughts on the matter is that each salon has it's own strenghts and weaknesses, and newly qualified members still have to learn there trade regardless of if they are collage or apprenticies.

If your daughter is going down the collage route though, I would urge her to also get a job within a salon enviroment - as that will stand her in a better position for the future both within her course and also in finding employment.

I wish her every sucess in what I feel is a rewarding and challenging industry.
Aim to become all you can be, and enjoy your journey whilst becoming it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic