Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which Shampoo & Conditoner?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WonderWaves View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WonderWaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Shampoo & Conditoner?
    Posted: January 14 2003 at 7:18am
Hi!
I was wondering if anybody could tell me what sort of shampoo and conditioners I should use. Sorry the description is kinda long-winded. My hair is: just past shoulders, wavy, frizzy, splits easily, dry, medium thickness, has highlights growing out of it and is a dull blonde color.
Thankyou!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2003 at 8:10am
Hi there! We have just about the same hair (except for color: I`m a brunette.) Personally I love the following products:

*Redken All Soft shampoo/conditioner--you cannot beat the scent and it`s packed with moisturizing agents including glycerin and dimethicone.
*Phyto Systeme Hydro-Botanics Shampoo--absolutely wonderful. It`s 50% off at Sally`s right now PLUS it`s buy one get one free. I hope that doesn`t mean they`re discontinuing it because it`s great!
*Paul Mitchell Daily Moisture shampoo--very mild with sodium myreth sulfate as the main detergent, but doesn`t smell all that fab.
*Jherri Redding Professional Prescription Humidifier--a heavy duty conditioner perfect for dry hair.
*John Frieda Frizz Ease Glistening Creme--they just came out with an "extra strength" formula (which is STILL unavailable in Michigan) but the original works well.

I`m sure you`ll get a lot of help from other posters as well; this is an often-asked question and people are usually helpful. Good luck! :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
AK View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2003 at 4:55pm
Lyris - I have been really curious about the designer Phyto line (Phytotherathrie) and have heard lots of raves about it. There is no way though that I am going to pay the designer prices that go along with it. I was in Sally's today and saw the Phyto Systeme line which is obviously a rip off of the other. Do you know how the two lines compare - are the ingredients the same, etc.?

thx
rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2003 at 6:59am
Hey Lyris,

I believe that the Phyto System line is being discontinued. I'd stock up on as much of it as you can right now. I was in Sally's last weekend and bought some (I like the straightening gel) and asked the clerk if it was on sale b/c it is being discontinued and she said yes. I'm hoping she's wrong or misunderstood the question.....

Becky
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2003 at 7:14am
I think you're absolutely right Becky...last time I was in Sally all the Phyto shampoos were 1/2 off plus they were buy one, get one free. Sounds like a final clearance to me...what a shame!

AK, I honestly don't know if the Phyto line is comparable to Phytotherathie although that is, as you observed, obviously the intent. I haven't tried Phytotherathie so I can't tell you how they compare, but I DO know that the aforementioned Hydro-Botanics shampoo was absolutely wonderful either way. But it really looks like it's been discontinued....sigh.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
minnesotamommy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minnesotamommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2003 at 9:49am

This post was deleted by HairBoutique.com Admin. We do not allow spam or product advertisements on the HB Messageboards.

Thanks for your help in this matter.

HB. Admin Team

Thanks for coming by.

www.geocities.com/bottomsupphotos
/main.html
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2003 at 12:40am
Redken all soft is really great!!
Another key ingrediant in it is avacodo oil.

Redken also makes So-Long. It contains sucrose, which is great at feeding the gummy substance found between the cuticles, therefore helping to keep the cuticle flexable and closes.
***Translation*** No split ends
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
SANA12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SANA12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2003 at 6:35pm

hi, can u tell me where I can get redken products.....is it available over counter....or shud i ship it every time i buy it...

Originally posted by LiliBeach LiliBeach wrote:

Redken all soft is really great!!
Another key ingrediant in it is avacodo oil.

Redken also makes So-Long. It contains sucrose, which is great at feeding the gummy substance found between the cuticles, therefore helping to keep the cuticle flexable and closes.
***Translation*** No split ends
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2003 at 11:25am
Where are you located? If you're in the U.S., you can get most Redken shampoos and conditioners in salons as well as mall stores such as Trade Secret.
SANA12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SANA12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2003 at 11:18am
Hi...I am located in pittsburgh....I did find some redken products but not the cat protein I am looking for.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2003 at 12:02pm
Hmm.....I would try searching online too if you can't find them in your immediate area. There must be someplace to buy CAT in Pittsburgh though because even I can find it in my sad little hometown in Michigan. Another great option for stopping breakage (if that's what you want to do) is Aphogee damaged hair treatment. Protein is second on the ingredient list, making this treatment the real thing. It's very effective and not overpriced. Good luck!
rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2003 at 1:40pm
Hey Lyris, do you know if you can buy the ApHOGEE treatment at Sally's? I saw it on their web site but it had a caution at the bottom that says it should only be done by a professional so I didn't know if they sold it to the public.

By the way, have you tried it?? I've been noticing little hairs at the top of my head so I need something to help with breakage. Does this work well and how often do you use it?

Thanks!
Becky
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2003 at 2:11pm
Hi Becky,

Yes you can buy Aphogee at Sally. It's only about $8 too--good deal! Especially when you consider that other alleged "protein treatments" only contain keratin or some other derivative halfway down the ingredient list and cost twice as much. I used Aphogee a few years ago and yes, it did help with breakage but I was doing several things in conjunction with it. I cut back on brushing my hair (especially when wet...agh!) and began sleeping on a satin pillowcase. (It sounds so romantic, heh!) I also started taking a multi-vitamin supplement and was all around gentler with my hair. Aphogee works well if you saturate your hair, wear a heating cap or apply gentle indirect heat (warm towel works too) for 10-15 minutes and leave the treatment on as long as possible.

Good luck Becky--hope this helps!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2003 at 2:13pm
http://www.folica.com/haircare/aphogee_treatmt.htm

That's a link to a site that has directions for usage.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2003 at 6:48pm
Hi
Maybe this will help,

The Redken Cat protein treatment is call " CAT Treatment". Maybe this will help in your search.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 7:33am
I just used Aphogee again for the first time in about a year...and something I (somehow) forgot about was the HORRID scent! Awful! And it lingers for days in your hair til it begins to smell almost rotten. Two days later I'm piling on the Redken All Soft shampoo and conditioner and even that lovely aroma can't conceal the Aphogee. We are talking really bad, especially if you have thick hair.

But on the plus side, it really works well. If you can take it!
rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 7:36am
I tried it this past weekend and meant to comment on the scent too. It was horrible!! Almost made me sick. I couldn't believe how hard it made my hair... could have played football without a helmet, my hair would have protected my head. lol. The scent did linger for a few days, but thankfully it's been about a week and I don't notice the smell anymore. Sally's had a special when I got mine, you can get a free bottle of moisture renewal with the treatment.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 7:59am
Is it a keratin based product??
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 12:04pm
Hi Becky...I got that same deal from Sally's (who can resist free stuff?)...the conditioner smelled OK but still a little strange (I swear there's a candy that smells just like it somewhere from my childhood.) What did you think of the results? Any luck?

Yes, Sophie, it is definitely a protein conditioner--that's the second ingredient on the list. And it really DOES harden into your hair like a coat of armor. Thankfully that effect washes out but my gosh my bathroom will never smell the same!!!!!!!
rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2003 at 7:10am
I'm happy with the results I got (besides the bad smelling hair). Since the directions say it keeps hair stronger for 6 weeks, I'm going to assume you only do it every 6 weeks.

I'm hoping this helps with the little hairs I've been noticing. I'll keep using it until this bottle is gone then decide if it's worth buying again. Hopefully Sally's will have another sale (I'm with you Lyris... who can resist them??).

Becky
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic